You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Alabama Shakes

tejastech08 wrote:

Anyone else a fan of this new band? Their lead singer Brittany Howard sounds like a mixture of Janis Joplin and Otis Redding. Amazing talent.

Their debut album comes out April 10th.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

like it alot.  Karma to you!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Janis Joplin meets Van Morrison

Nice, but the melody and structure of the songs need a bit more work. There's some "glorious fuck up" moments so much in places that the songs lose a bit direction.

ALOTTT of promise, and alot of talent there. Band might need some recasting too, but the vocalist and overall sound could be something very very special.

Thanks for sharing. Nice to see music like this ain't dead.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I JUST (no shit), JUST played some Alabama Shakes for a friend today and they were blown away by how diverse it is, yet a total throwback.

Would've never ever known about it if it wasn't for Evo and Tejas.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Seems like a good match. How ironic though.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I scored Jack White tickets yesterday and found out the Alabama Shakes are opening. How bad ass is that??

I saw them on SNL this past weekend for the first time and really dug their performances.  Usually the musical guest on SNL is strictly fast forward material for me, but they had me hooked.  They sounded quite similar to Jack White to me, so that would make for a solid opening act in my mind.  It took me awhile to figure out the gender of the lead singer, and I'm not trying to be funny.  Her voice is quite unique, and powerful.  Major props though.  I might have to investigate them a little further.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

A buddy of mine was over last night. he mentioned this band and I knew I'd heard of them prior, but couldn't remember where.

One of the things I love about this board is that, on the whole, our user base seems to be way ahead of the curve of music.

This one was a total accident. I stumbled onto them because of the Civil Wars. I had heard the Civil Wars would be on Austin City Limits and I was checking the ACL website for information on their appearance. Then I saw a news story about a band called the Alabama Shakes also appearing on ACL. So I got curious and looked them up on YouTube. Was blown away by her voice as soon as I heard it.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah these guys remain awesome.

Board footer