You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

Re: Lombardo out of Slayer, replaced for Australian shows

jonesy wrote:

Its all drama, KK comes off as a bit of a douche.  Hanneman seems to be not interested in coming back, now Lombardo is out of the picture.  Pretty sad if you are a Slayer fan.

From Blabbermouth:

SLAYER drummer Dave Lombardo has released the following statement:

"I want to personally apologize to all of our fans in Australia who have bought tickets for the tour expecting to see me in my usual place on the drums.

"So that you all know the truth, as of the end of the business day on February 14th, I was notified that I would not be drumming for the tour in Australia. I'm saddened, and to be honest I am shocked by the situation.

"Last year, I discovered 90% of SLAYER's tour income was being deducted as expenses, including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us. In my opinion, this is not the way a band's business should operate. I tried rectifying it by letting my bandmates know, and Tom [Araya, bass/vocals] and I hired auditors to figure out what happened, but I was denied access to detailed information and the necessary backup documents.

"I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012, but yet had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year's sweat and blood. On top of this, I was told that I would not be paid until I signed a longform contract which gave me no written assurance of how much or on what basis management would deduct commissions, nor did it provide me access to the financial budgets or records for review. It also forbade me to do interviews or make statements having to do with the band, in effect a gagging order.

"Last Monday, I sat down with Kerry [King, guitar] and Tom to rehearse for Australia and to propose a new business model that I felt was the best way forward for SLAYER to confidently protect itself so we could do what we do best . . . play for the fans. Kerry made it clear he wasn't interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 p.m. as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 p.m. I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.

"I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues. But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the three of us original SLAYER members. I look forward to seeing you in the future."

Shortly into the tour for SLAYER's 1986 album "Reign In Blood", Lombardo left the group, citing financial concerns. Tony Scaglione of WHIPLASH was recruited to replace Lombardo; however, this lineup was short-lived, as Lombardo returned in 1987. In 1992, Lombardo left the group again due to friction with the other band members, particularly King. Paul Bostaph of FORBIDDEN took over as the band's drummer for 1994's "Divine Intervention" and 1996's "Undisputed Attitude", the latter being an LP of cover tunes. Following the recording of "Undisputed Attitude", Jon Dette replaced Bostaph, who left to concentrate on other projects. Dette was fired a year later and Bostaph returned to the fold. In 2001, Bostaph left SLAYER for good and was replaced by a returning Lombardo. Although this reunion was initally announced as temporary, Lombardo has remained with the band ever since.

SLAYER has spent the past two years touring without guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who is still recovering from necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease, which he is believed to have gotten from a spider bite. Hanneman is being temporarily replaced on the road by EXODUS guitarist Gary Holt.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m … um=twitter

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Shit like this is shady as fuck and I hate it. Man wants to get paid, they dick him around and lowball him, and he ain't havin it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Indeed.  Lombardo has quit twice before, once for a very short period in 86, during the Reign In Blood tour, over financials, and again in 92 because of band friction, which was probably KK. I didnt know about the short 86 breakup.

"Slayer" (either lawyers, or KK himself) has released a statement on this, denouncing Dave's claims.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m … um=twitter

I was watching an interview with KK last night, where he admitted he has recorded all guitars (apart from JH's solos's) and bass on all the albums since the early 90's because he's "quick and productive".   I was pretty shocked by that.  Didnt know that was the case.

I love Slayer's albums up to decade of aggression, and never paid attention to how much of a cock KK appears to be.  Tom and Dave though, they always come across well in interviews, mellow cool guys. KK comes off as an ego prick.

I then watched some drum cam footage of Lombardo playing Angel of Death and Post Mortem, very good indeed!

With JH out of the picture, and seemingly unlikely to return, and now Dave gone too the future doesnt look too good. I didnt realise how screwed up and dis-functional they are as a band with KK running almost everything and Tom just recording vocals, and JH just doing solo's.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

"Business... turns friends into enemies and enemies into fanatics" -- Jock Ewing

Real shame when money gets in the way of art, workmanship, and the worst -- friendship.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Pretty fucked up about a few bands on the Soundwave festival bill where original members will not be playing. Anthrax won't have Charlie on drums, Blink182 won't have Travis, and now Slayer won't have Dave...

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Actually Scott Raynor is Blink 182's original drummer. He played on heir first two albums.   They actually had a pretty big following in the punk genre even before Travis joined and they blew up huge with their 3rd album Enema of the State

As for th Slayer thing it sounds insanely shady. Anytime someone refuses to allow a member of an organization to see the books you know something is up.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, but Travis seems to be an integral part of the band these days. Can't say I blame him for not coming though. He pulled out of boarding the plane for Australia last minute, due to his fears of flying, having nearly died in a plane crash himself.

This Slayer thing does sound suss. And it's now down to only two original members, Tom and Kerry. They're turning into their own GN'R... 14

Board footer