You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Justifed

BLS-Pride wrote:

Anyone been watching this season. Pretty damn good one thus far. I know a few like it here. Axlin is usually my FX partner in crime? Thoughts on Drew Thompson?

johndivney wrote:

still only seen the first ep of the season so far
i've got them all d/l'd but haven't had time to keep up w/it. am kinda hoping to catch-up w/them all one weekend.
the first ep was actually really good & i was excited for the season ahead but then time just got away from me.
my mates say it's been a good season so far which annoys me further i haven't been following it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Anyone been watching this season. Pretty damn good one thus far. I know a few like it here. Axlin is usually my FX partner in crime? Thoughts on Drew Thompson?

I couldn't disagree more. I really am losing fast interest in Justified. The show to me has shit writers, and sadly GREAT everything else. Great cast, production team, ambience, music, look, etc.

The show to me had a one-off "great" season in Season 2, because it had a truely riveting, Emmy-worthy continous story with the Bennett family. Somehow that convinced them they needed to turn the show into a "story of the week" type of show, with a half-assed continous arc, which was pretty much the mob story last season, and now Drew Thompson this season.

Justified has become another modern-day western formula show, no different than Walker Texas Ranger or Renegade. It's a "good" action show, but it could be a 'great' show, memorable for a lifetime.

Such a shame. I think what this show could be with Kurt Sutter running it or Shawn Ryan. Alas, we got what we got. I watch it, and I 'like it', but it's just a standard western cop show to me anymore. I really wished it could be better.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Hey BLS, I watched this week's episode, and it was EASILY THE BEST episode of this entire season.

And why?

The little things. Raylan was Raylan, especially when he dusted Duffy's cop hitman, while he was still holding Boyd. Raylan's scenes with a dying and dead Arlo were fantastically acted by Olyphant.

This week's episode is why I fell in love with this series when it first started. Somehow this season, and alot of last season lost that. I miss it so much, because Olyphant has SO much charisma, equally as much as the fantastic Walton Goggins.

I just think the material this season has been light and beneath them. But this last episode was a reminder that this show can be THE BEST SHOW ON TV when it WANTS TO BE.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I love it too. Favorite part was the Raylan and Arlo scene. Also when Boydn met rich power play types in his bar and said something to the effect that they may be criminals but he is the outlaw. Something about that screamed bad ass too me.

I felt Olyphant has been good most of the season. The last two he really came back to I guess a more old school Raylan. Maybe he just needed to shoot someone. 16 Goggins is just great every time he is on screen. He plays that character so well. One of my favorite characters on TV.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Goggins deserves a damn Emmy. Not only was he fantastic on The Shield, but Justified would've been cancelled by now without Boyd imo.

Boyd was a total badass in that scene of "i'm the outlaw", then Raylan turns around and takes a few lines and steals the show when he looks at that hitman and goes "maybe I misheard, but did you just give me an order?" and just blows him the fuck away.

Olyphant, does a great job basically just playing Clint fuckin' Eastwood. HE is THE BADASS on that show when he wants to be. Even Boyd is scared of him.

I wish Dallas had a couple of southern, tons of charisma characters like Raylan and Boyd, now that 'ol JR is gone.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Im born and raised in Harlan County where the show is based on

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Wow. As a local, any thoughts on why they opted to shoot the show in California, rather than on location in Harlan? Just poor and not set up for film/TV production?

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Yeah no way my town could accomodate that big of a production.

we are also called "bloody Harlan"

terrible place.

that show embellishes some but we are corrupt as fuck

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Still watch this show, don't know why though. I just don't get some of the writing. They've turned up the use of Boyd, which is a good thing, but Raylan's stories are basically pointless. He simply exists because he's the star, but he has NO arc's this year, Amy Smart's character is basically pointless and annoying (more than his ex-wife), and Raylan had WAY more chemistry with Monkey's girl Alicia Witt, and yet absolutely nothing was done to hook them up, even though it would've made a far better story.

I know these are based on Elmore Leonard's books, but at this point I love a good western, and even i'm starting to lose interest outside of Boyd and Walton Goggins-only scenes. Goggins could've won an Emmy, had he not been on such a poorly written show. It's not that the show is bad, it just could've been great. During the show's 2nd Season with the Bennett arc, the show was never better, and has never been even close to as good as it was during Season 2. The show needs a good arc, and a better staff of writers.

At this point it's too late. It's already been announced next season (#6) is the last. Maybe they can go out with one of their best season's, but considering all of the fuck ups in this series' history, I doubt it. At this point I think the show should end with Boyd shooting and killing Raylan, and then starting a new life.

Board footer