You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Slash v. Van Halen argument leads to arrest.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Your coworker sounds like the typical Slash hater that says shit like, "he got lucky" "right place right time" "was all image" type shit. People are very jealous of Slash cause many feel he isn't that great, way over hyped and just happened to land in an awesome situation when guys like Yngvie Malmsteen, Vai, etc never reached that level.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

At first I just thought he  was jazz lovin' music snob, but when I found out he loved EVH, I was kinda taken aback.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Not to put words in his mouth, but I think I remember Bono offering to fight Axl once to demonstrate that Axl's stage bravado to fans is based on the wall of security between them.

I actually disagreed with that...there's plenty of times when Axl's stones have got him his ass kicked...especially against police...I think when he's really angry he just doesn't care what happens.....

VH vs Slash is an interesting argument....they're both immediately recognisable players on a recording - VH has the innovation in that my understanding is that he's pretty much responsible for the tapping era and thus that part of the evolution of metal. Slash on the other hand is one of the absolute guitar heros of his generation - and I think it rock of all time - he's got a killer catalogue, iconic image - and while he's perhaps not an innovator - he stands above the others who did a similar style before him - and his ability to bring something to a song or band is pretty much unparalleled.

It's probably a case of saying is salty food better than sweet food....they're both amazing....Slash is my all time fav so I'll give it to him...but you have to respect the tapping master too.

This. EVH was an innovator guitarist, one of the most important ever. He wins technically. However I think that his innovations limit playing in a long run. Tapping is only interesting if you don't overuse it.

On the other hand, Slash was the leader of a renaissance. He's THE GUITARIST, he and Hendrix if you ask people to name one. I think his playing is much more versatile, emotional and had more effect on people. His stuff is harder to replicate. Also, his stuff is full of guitars, be it riffs or solos, while some of EVH's music is just a pop song with a tapping solo.

Talking about guitarist, I think EVH's and Slash's influence is probably the same: enormous.

Anyway, I love Slash's playing and appreciate EVH's, but there's no way I'd beat up someone for siding with EVH. 19

johndivney wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Anyway, I love Slash's playing and appreciate EVH's, but there's no way I'd beat up someone for siding with EVH. 19

bitch probly deserved it.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not a fighter at all, but I could have seen myself losing it on jimbob back in the day.

Old rim job. Dude was a character, that's for sure. 16

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Melody and memorability Slash

Straight out mindblowing  EVH

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Pointless fight. Everyone knows the correct answer is...

JIMI

Board footer