You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Gn'R Live In London Sat. March 2nd VH1

faldor wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

At least you got to give Trunk some credit despite his flaws, he really tried his best to show the current band by doing this with the extended O2 show and maybe a future interview.  I swear if Team Brazil is to blame for these stupid contracts, then this is ridiculous.

I know.  Unfortunately we'll probably never hear a peep about why the show was canned.  And if we do, management certainly won't fall on the sword.

ppp

ppp wrote:

Well according to Trunk's twitter, they were not going to show the full show. Just what VH1 showed. At least that is how I interpreted this:

@eddietrunk
"I simply shot some intro segments and a hosted a video hour. The video hour may still air at some point. Concert is not any longer"

faldor

faldor wrote:
ppp wrote:

Well according to Trunk's twitter, they were not going to show the full show. Just what VH1 showed. At least that is how I interpreted this:

@eddietrunk
"I simply shot some intro segments and a hosted a video hour. The video hour may still air at some point. Concert is not any longer"

No they were set to show the entire concert, solos and all. At least that's what Eddie tweeted previously before it was canned. It was scheduled to air for 3 hours, so that would have been enough to capture most, if not all of the show.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
johndivney wrote:

$lashba being mixed so low is obv on purpose. someone somewhere along the line has obv decided to do it out of spite. not saying it was a GnR decision, but someone in the line of production must have an issue w/dj & chosen this as a way to get at him.

Well if that's the case, I want to state publicly: "I DIDN'T DO IT!" 16 dj

Bullshit Russ.

Since you became an admin on this forum DJ's solos have consistently got lower and lower in live mixes, and Robin has been back as a guest performer, and there has been no new album of the songs DJ sends Axl, I think we both know this isn't a coincidence 16

(Sorry bit of self-parody there).

In seriousness though...I think it's got more to do with the 3 guitars and the arrangements.

Look at the outro to rocket queen - you have 2 guys playing rhythm and 1 guy playing lead at all times. BUT - they swap who is playing the lead line within bars of each other - each part of a phrase during that outro is one of them - DJ does a phrase, then Richard, then bumble...all within like 15 seconds of solo......if you are the sound guy and trying to make sure the lead line cuts through the 2 rhythm lines...it's pretty hard to keep up with which tar to boost in the mix and which to drop....not that a pro guy can't so it....but then does GNR want to pay an audio engineer for the number of hours of post it would take to make every little second like that perfect....or do they just go for a ballpark mix?

I think that's closer to the issue than someone disliking what DJ plays.

faldor

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Look at the outro to rocket queen - you have 2 guys playing rhythm and 1 guy playing lead at all times. BUT - they swap who is playing the lead line within bars of each other - each part of a phrase during that outro is one of them - DJ does a phrase, then Richard, then bumble...all within like 15 seconds of solo......if you are the sound guy and trying to make sure the lead line cuts through the 2 rhythm lines...it's pretty hard to keep up with which tar to boost in the mix and which to drop....not that a pro guy can't so it....but then does GNR want to pay an audio engineer for the number of hours of post it would take to make every little second like that perfect....or do they just go for a ballpark mix?

I think that's closer to the issue than someone disliking what DJ plays.

Caram has been on tour with them of late, mixing the sound.  So there shouldn't be any issues.  We've been told, he knows what the songs are supposed to sound like so that's the reason he's there.  Or something to that effect.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

That may be Russ, but it seems odd that a professional mixer doesn't know when an entire solo is happening.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

No, it got marginally better. There were still low mixes here and there, and possible missed switch-offs between the leads, but the Night Train solo was the most egregious.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Sweet Child for DJ sounded great for the most part in the mix. At times I couldn't hear Richard though in some songs which was strange. Overall, dj was the one being drowned out in the cut version of the performance.

Board footer