You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Axl Rose: the extended interview (Adelaide Now)

slashsfro wrote:
Cramer wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

who the fuck could decipher half of that....meh

I thought it was just me. I always feel like I need reading glasses when I read his stuff. My eyes just glaze over the deeper into it I get.

Whenever I see a long paragraph answer from Axl, I just skip over it because I know it won't make any sense.

Lomax wrote:

Lads, no offense but it's quite easy to be cynical. There's a contingent of motherfuckers on this board who think their cynicism makes them better equipped to pass judgement here. Well, there's a contingent of us who aren't cynical and aren't naive either. We're hopeful realists. If you want to shit on the band at every turn go start your own fucking board, and shit on them there.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Del James' interview with Axl Rip Magazine, 1992 mid- UYI Tour

DEL: When you and Slash aren't at each other's throats, you're really a force to be reckoned with.

AXL: Let me say something about us being at each other's throats: We haven't really been that way in the past year and a half. I love the guy. We're like opposite poles of energy, and we balance each other out. We push each other to work harder and complement each other that way. We had a run-in in Dayton [Ohio], because both myself and Dougie thought he said something shitty to me onstage. That was the night I cut my hand to the bone. Backstage we have monitors much like the ones onstage, and while I was back there dealing with my hand, I thought I heard him take a potshot at me. I wrapped my hand up in a towel and was like, "Let's get it taken care of, so I can finish the show." I came back onstage and was a dick to him and told him I'd kick his f?!king ass in front of 20,000 people. That was f?!ked up. I was wrong, and I apologized the second I realized I was mistaken. Someone who is supporting me as strongly as he does is a hand I never want to bite.

Well, Axl did say things got better as time went on during the tour.

I still believe though that Axl and Slash COULD bury the hatchet if it happened organically.  Unfortunately it seems that the people around Axl would go to any length needed to prevent that from happening.  Not that his "hate" isn't warranted, but I'm sure he's been fed information over the years that have led him further down the path of discontent.

johndivney wrote:
Riad wrote:

Lads, no offense but it's quite easy to be cynical. There's a contingent of motherfuckers on this board who think their cynicism makes them better equipped to pass judgement here. Well, there's a contingent of us who aren't cynical and aren't naive either. We're hopeful realists. If you want to shit on the band at every turn go start your own fucking board, and shit on them there.

fine. cya.
but before i go i'll say that it depresses me when i read the levels people sink to deny the truth of the matter, the desperate clutching-at-straws that doesn't border on beggaring belief but runs right past it into sheer incredulity that Axl or GnR are capable of bullshitting or being at fault. i find it much more soul destroying than reading the so-called cynical posts. those posts have more grip on reality than this idea of hopeful realists. it's especially galling when fans turn on each other defending the decisions of those in charge of the organisation.
but if that's what you want then ok. (maybe monkey was right..)

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Riad wrote:

Is this really needed? I think it'd be cooler if we could all just share our opinions and not get butthurt at each other.

And to get back on-topic, I always found Axl's interviews interesting. I get the weirdest vibes from the guy, even if I'm just reading something he wrote. Like..something's just off, and the weird off the wall paragraphs just reinforce that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

monkey have u heard the mfsl appetite remaster? it's p sweet. if you haven't already it's well worth tracking it down.

No I havn't but thanks I'll check that out.

How did people get their hands on an unmastered version to remaster? Or did they just fiddle with the standard version some more?

RussTCB wrote:

Just got a chance to read the entire thing and I have a question. Why make these claims:

W. Axl Rose wrote:

a sold out US arena tour, a sold out US club tour...and a sold out month residency at the Hard Rock Hotel

None of that is even remotely true, so why make the claims?

I'd speculate Axl thinks it's true. He's probably just going from what he's told by management, who probably put a positive vibe on things to keep him upbeat.

Also - his point for saying it really seemed to be that he's sick of the media attention to late starts and cancelled shows when the bulk of the band's track record in recent years is actually really positive. So it's possible he exaggerated a little himself to make the point.

Riad wrote:

Is this directed at a specific post or just the whole thread?

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
faldor wrote:

In fairness, I wasn't aware Axl was miserable during the 2002 NA tour

The dudes appearance, the constant slagging off of the old band, dodging the question of when will the record come out... I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, but I always felt slightly embarrassed by the 02 Axl. The Mickey voice didn't help. He reappeared in 2006 as a completely different person, more like the one I used to see.

faldor wrote:

But he very well could have been in a bad place early on in the UYI tour without showing so outwardly.

Axl literally stopped the show in Helsinki '91 for 20 minutes or so, due to his personal issues. Also, in the Trunk 2006 interview, he refers to listening WASP in order to psych himself to get on-stage, only to publicly lash out at Geffen and Tom Zutat re: the UYI release schedule. He wasn't in the best of moods.

faldor wrote:

As crazy as he is, he doesn't let his miseries carry with him onstage.  For the most part.

I think the lateness is oft just that; getting into the right mindset to perform, instead of carrying his issues on to the crowd and giving them a rotten night. This is something I think he has, unquestionably, gotten better at as the years've passed.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

2006 Axl was the man in every way.

Although people seem to question it on a white man, I always thought those braids looked cool on him. Seemed to suit him. The clothes had a really cool classic rock vibe (which I preferred more than the 2002 rap/sports styled look). He was in great shape for his age (or indeed for any age) full of charisma and he'd got a lot of power and rasp back into his voice.

He had that real weapon front man thing going on. It was awesome.

Anyway, yeah, I always suspected the late starts in the 1990s were about Axl needing to put himself mentally in a place where he was capable of bringing his A game. Seemed pretty obvious back then that he had some type of depression or anger or whatever issues (probably very justified based on his childhood etc) and I always assumed that the wait was about him conquering that each night. In more modern times I wonder if he's slightly obsessive about technical aspects of the show - now he's the boss of everything that he knows it will fall on him if anything goes wrong and so he perhaps spends a lot of time analysing those aspects that can delay him being ready, and, it's also entire speculation from me, but I've wondered at times if perhaps he has anxious moments or something too and maybe needs to psyche up a bit some days to be rock-star-axl.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Oh is Riad another mod? Is there anyone here who isn't?

Board footer