You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: GNR headline New festival in San Antonio, Texas

BLS-Pride wrote:

San Antonio has had a depressing lack of holiday-weekend music festivals for years. The old Fourth of July Freedom Fiesta vanished in the early ’90s; the disastrous Starfest crashed and burned after one awful Labor Day weekend back in 2000.

Maybe the just-announced Bud Light River City Rockfest will have better luck. Created by Spurs Sports & Entertainment with an assist from AEG Live, the day-long fest is set for Saturday, May 26, on the grounds of the AT&T Center.

Calling the lineup “stellar,” Rick Pych, Spurs Sports & Entertainment President of Business Operations, addded in a news release, “The long term goal is to develop the Bud Light River City Rockfest into an annual celebration of music that people can look forward to year after year.”

Let’s hope so.

As you might expect, the lineup goes for a puro San Antonio mix of hard rock and metal headlined by Guns N’ Roses, still fronted by Axl Rose and featuring longtime keyboardist Dizzy Reed, plus ex-Replacement Tommy Stinson on bass. Second-billed is Seattle grunge stalwart Alice in Chains, which reformed in 2005 after losing troubled singer Layne Staley to an overdose in 2002; guitarist Jerry Cantrell and the rhythm section of Sean Kinney and Mike Inez are still on board (original bassist Mike Starr died in 2010).

The undercard includes potent Texas rock band Halestorm, plus Bullet For My Valentine, Skillet, Austin old-school band The Sword, All That Remains, Clutch, Asking Alexandria and San Antonio bands The Heroine and Memory of a Melody.

More bands will be announced. There will be multiple stages, plus a VIP area.

The promoters are looking for an early burst of support in the form of a $29.50 (plus fees) advance ticket available at 10 a.m. Wednesday. The price rises to $49.50 when the general-public sale begins March 22. There also will be a limited number of VIP tickets at $99.50 a pop.

River City is being billed as “the first music event of its kind to grace the grounds of the AT&T Center and is the largest festival conceived in South Texas.” That begs the question, what about Warped Tour? An AT&T Center spokesman said the new fest will have a different feel than Warped, which features dozens of bands playing 30-minute sets and no designated headliner.

Go to www.RiverCityRockfest for updates.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/weekender/ … st-lineup/

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Dadud
 Rep: 14 

Dadud wrote:

Rockfest in Cadott WI still has a TBA headliner for thursday the 18th of july. seeing as halestorm, skillet, and all that remains are playing at both festivals, im thinking its very possible that GNR will headline it. i mean, hell, they have KISS and Motley Crue and Korn headlining the other 3 nights. I already have tickets for thursday. Seether and halestorm alone are enough for me, if GNR headlines, i'll be in fucking heaven.

http://www.rock-fest.com/

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

More reasons not to record...

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

1980Invasion
 Rep: 0 

1980Invasion wrote:

I opted to pick up the high dollar package  for the Oklahoma festival over the NYC gig.Hell i may try to unload the second two nights in Pryor and take the jaunt down to Texas ill already be 11 hours from home,  why not?

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

I just got the email for this, and literally screamed "Oh my god Axl is coming to San Antonio!!!" I am most definitely getting a VIP package, I don't even care what it includes. It's $100, which isn't bad. Pretty good lineup too, should be awesome.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

You know what, I thought about Christina down there, before I even scrolled down.

Awesome Texas gets some shows. They seem a little light on US tours.

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

Axlin12 wrote:

You know what, I thought about Christina down there, before I even scrolled down.

Awesome Texas gets some shows. They seem a little light on US tours.

Awwww. big_smile  I know I don't post a lot, but that's still cool. I got my V.I.P. ticket, and the email that it was printed. Apparently it gets me preferred parking, a separate area for the show, shade, a place to sit, blah blah blah. And a snowball chance in hell meeting Axl. NOT. Maybe if I flash around my GNR tattoos enough, heh. I would do anything to get 5 minutes with him. 20

Board footer