You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NoKnownName
 Rep: 11 

Re: Black Sabbath

NoKnownName wrote:

Deluxe edition bonus track Methademic live!
Standard edition track Loner live!

And there's a Best Buy exclusive song! Those greedy bastards! (Best Buy, not Sabbath)
http://www.black-sabbath.com/2013/04/th … ive-of-13/

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Awesome live footage. Glad to hear his voice is in better shape and he has been rehearsing. Could hear the vocals loud & clear. I know those lyrics must be tough to go through; so I'm proud of these guys are soldiering through. Much better from last time.  These new songs sound great live and siked to hear the studio versions. That opening riff from Iommi on Loner was stunning. Also Geezer setting a great bass thrashing during Meth and the drummer, Tommy from Ozzy's solo live shows/former Rob Zombie is getting it done. Would love to see Brad come out and do a few shows with them and of course a few of the hits with Bill too. Seeing progress!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I am tempted to listen to these. Maybe I will. Was gonna hold out but it's getting too hard. I need sabbath in my life.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

The god is dead song sucks

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Haha. From like 6 minutes to the end is pretty beastly IMO. Kinda drawn out song but I do dig it. Don't hate it, not in love with it.

Me_Wise_Magic

BLS-Pride wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Haha. From like 6 minutes to the end is pretty beastly IMO. Kinda drawn out song but I do dig it. Don't hate it, not in love with it.

I'm in the same boat with that song. They could of cut it down abit in terms of length and strengthen the riff around the lyrics; but overall it's not that bad of a song.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/revie … ight-here/

Black Sabbath

VERTIGO

Heavy metal has undergone incalculable changes since 1978, when Black Sabbath last released a full studio album with Ozzy Osbourne on vocals. Titled Never Say Die!, this writer was present during its mixing sessions. The tapes were played back at such terrifying volume that Ozzy was forced to leave the room – and at the time it sounded like it was the best thing they’d ever done. That opinion was shot down in flames upon the record’s release, but that’s another story…

Sabbath might be the founding fathers of metal but there’s no way they could have predicted how the scene would develop – make that mutate – over the decades. Given the intensity that characterises the modern-day scene, their decision to regroup with three-quarters of their ‘classic’ lineup is at best ambitious, at worst misguided.

Listening to the first two tracks on 13, it’s clear their heritage weighs heavily on their minds. The End Of The Beginning is a curiously low-key opener, the lyric ‘Rewind the future to the past’ highlighting the difficulty Sabbath face in trying to recapture the glories of old. Next up, God Is Dead? tries its damnedest to replicate the churning mayhem of old. But, somehow, it’s like a bad Xerox copy.

Then something – Christ knows what; could be the moment when Ozzy went back on the sauce – happens. Loner kicks in and delivers the first genuine, shivering spine-tingle of the record. It’s full of lurching menace; it’s got that archetypal groove; it’s even got Ozzy screeching ‘Alright now!’ like he did on Sweet Leaf back in ’71. Holy shit. It gets better. Zeitgeist, a dreamy Planet Caravan sound-alike, provides a delicious change of pace before Age Of Reason lumbers into your lug’oles, Tony Iommi cutting loose with a solo of meandering menace and Geezer Butler’s bass grumbling like an impending earthquake.

Live Forever maintains the intensity, then Damaged Soul ups the ante further. This is 13’s standout track; a loose and lethal dose of doomy blues, it sounds like it was knocked up at midnight in a garage in Solihull after a day down the abattoir. Ozzy comes into his own, honking the harmonica and delivering classic Sabbathisms: ‘Dying is easy – it’s living that’s hard’ and ‘I’m losing the battle between Satan and God. The cataract of darkness forms fully. The long black night begins…’

Dear Father’s mawkish title disguises its tale of revenge against an abusive parent; the drug-addled Methademic has its roots in Vol. 4’s Snowblind while Peace Of Mind has Ozzy hamming up his cracked-actor persona to fine effect. And if you listen carefully to Pariah you can hear Iommi’s plastic fingertips skittering along his strings; it might be imperfect but it’s a signature element of Sabbath’s sound.

Gripes? No Bill Ward; replacement drummer Brad Wilk is a little fussy and doesn’t quite have the feel. Similarly, Rick Rubin is no Rodger Bain; the production could be much more primitive. And, with a running time of nearly 70 minutes in deluxe form, the album is overlong. Nevertheless, this comeback is better than anyone could have expected.

A certain comedy band might own amplifiers that peak at 11, but Sabbath’s go all the way to 13.

9/10

Review by Geoff Barton

This review comes from our brand new issue, out now and featuring a special interview with Black Sabbath themselves! 13 is released June 10, and Black Sabbath tour the UK in December.

"Then something – Christ knows what; could be the moment when Ozzy went back on the sauce – happens." 16

I am stoked for this record. It's been a while since I was this excited for a new release. I am not expecting past greatness but am hoping for something strong and mean. I might just get it judging on this review. But my ears are not his so we will see. Defiantly can feel him on the lack of Ward but not gonna pass final judgment until I hear it.  Not gonna listen to anything else song wise till it comes out. Then its just me, sabbath, and that sweat leaf.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I'm with you. No more spoilers. I'm putting aside time to do nothing but listen this on release. One of my first and favorite bands- psyched to grab this one!

Me_Wise_Magic

Picking this shit up pronto. That, the new Alice in Chains, and a few other albums on my mind. Yeah...I don't want many spoilers. I listened to some of the newer material live and that's about it besides the God is Dead? radio release. Not sure if I should get the regular disc or the deluxe!

NoKnownName
 Rep: 11 

NoKnownName wrote:

http://www.futuro.cl/destacados/black-s … ado-de-13/
End of the Beginning streaming now!!!!

Board footer