You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: STONE TEMPLE PILOTS return with CHESTER BENNINGTON as their FRONTMAN!

monkeychow wrote:

I actually don't mind this track....

but generally not sure STP as a concept can survive with no scott.....again I'm not very knowledgable about them.....but seemed to me half the point was scott.....

to me would be kinda like a GNR with neither Axl or Slash...like just Izzy and Duff or whatever....probably cool but hardly GNR....scott seemed a big part of what STP is.

Although the vocals are ok on this to me.

Did Chester  try out for VR at one stage or did I imagine that?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I really like when Scott uses his baritone and lower pitch, because for example when he tries to sing in a higher key, like say the chorus of "Set Me Free", his limit starts to show a bit, at least in a live setting.

As far as definitive sound goes, his vocals on Dead & Bloated, and Sex Type Thing are kinda signature to him, and maybe the grunge era that STP came from.

On later STP he seemed to use more of the higher pitch that he used in VR, and thats where he starts to kinda get a bit "samey" sounding to me.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Did Chester  try out for VR at one stage or did I imagine that?

I think he was considered, or mentioned by Matt or Duff at one stage, but I think the excuse was given that he was already part of Linkin Park

Then again, maybe I'm imagining that... 14

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Oh ffs. I've been saying for years that Chester needs to front Velvet Revolver, but he wouldn't do it because he's a friend of Scott Weiland and he didn't want to tread on Weiland's toes. And now he's fronting Weiland's original band!

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

Dude.. I hate Chester/ Linkin Park... That shit wasn't too shabby. He pulls off Scott better than Scott does these days... You know? Back when Scott at least sounded like he was in the possession of a pair of testicles?

I'd listen to that record. ... Even though I stand by my original statement months ago that they should have called it a fucking day after "Thank You".

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I've been checking out some youtube clips of Chester singing the old STP tracks live at the KROQ gig, and even if you don't like this new song, he fuckin nails the old tracks.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I've been checking out some youtube clips of Chester singing the old STP tracks live at the KROQ gig, and even if you don't like this new song, he fuckin nails the old tracks.

He sure does... and that new song is growing on me. So much old school STP energy.

It's like a lost Purple/ No.4 song. Aces.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I grew to like STP a lot after their Core days, but this song is really good IMO. I like Chester on it, too. I can hear how he'd fit the back catalog, and he sounds great with the band on the new song. Looking forward to hearing more!

imsorry wrote:

sounds good to me!

Board footer