You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: STONE TEMPLE PILOTS return with CHESTER BENNINGTON as their FRONTMAN!

-D- wrote:

Slash being a hypocrite here

considering gnr

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

considering gnr

In his defense, it's a little different when it's your own band. Hits a little closer to home I'd imagine.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
-D- wrote:

considering gnr

How is liking a song "hypocritical"?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I guess the logic is that he didn't like Axl being GNR without him so he shouldn't like STP being STP without scott.

Then again it comes down to situation IMO.

STP became STP without scott because he'd become impossible to work with.

Axl became GNR without the others when he quit gnr then formed a new band called GNR and offered them jobs as employees.

So while at a glance it seems inconsistent it's also in both cases the lead singer sort of letting down the others in the crew.

Same with Baz and Axl.

At first glance it seems inconsistent that Baz objects to Skid Row being Skid Row without him, but is ok with Axl being GNR without Slash....but then when you think about it...maybe for Baz what counts is the singer should be the same.

Anyway...I note Slash has become VERY hostile to scott since scott started talking about a VR reunion...the last few remarks about him have been brutal.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Some here didn't want him in VR, but after I saw his Paradise City clip I was all in.

He's the perfect singer for VR - as the STP stuff shows, he can channel Scott's vibe while still remaining his own man, and he has the vocal range and power to do justice to the GN'R tracks and new tracks in the same style (and without being a cheesy 80s throwback like Bach).

While I'm chuffed that he's fronting STP, I'm gutted because it makes a Chester-fronted VR massively unlikely. Aside from not having the time to front three bands, he's unlikely to want a reputation as Weliand's non-union Mexican equivalent.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Listened to Out Of Time and its Fucking TERRIBLE

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
-D- wrote:

Listened to Out Of Time and its Fucking TERRIBLE

THANK YOU!  Someone around here has some sense.

Out of Time is not an STP song, period.  It sounds more like Talk Show or Army of Anyone (both sub-par bands in comparison to STP).  It sounds bland and uninspired compared to their other stuff. 

Like it or not, Scott was a huge part of STP.  He wrote the melodies and lyrics to (if I'm not mistaken) every song they ever released.  He was a huge part of their music.  He's also the most well known and recognizable person in the band. 

Had they chose to change their name and form a band with Chester, I would have supported it even though I don't like the singer, like I did with Army of Anyone.  But to call themselves STP, it's a disgrace to their fans. 

A lot of people are bringing up the GNR thing and calling anyone a hypocrite who can't support them getting a new singer and calling themselves STP.  But these people are missing one very important detail.  So it's worked for Van Halen, and Black Sabbath, and for GNR and a lot of people are fine with those bands now.  But NONE of those bands spent 20 years solidifying their legacy with the same 4 people in the band, only to turn around and fire the most well known person in the band and hire another singer and try to call themselves the same thing.  Every other band did a shakeup like that much earlier in their career.  That is a very important distinction. 

And for them to now sue him and say that he can't call himself a former member of STP or play any of their songs live?  Fuck them.  They didn't pull this shit any other time that he or even VR played STP songs live, but now suddenly they get money hungry and want to carry on with someone else, NOW it's not okay for him to play songs he helped write live.  I will not be supporting this band.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

There`s no Stone Temple Pilots without Scott period. He might be a pretentious pain in the ass and difficult to work with but he is STP he literally made that motherfucking band. I supported Talk Show and Army of Anyone`cause they changed the name and the material was good but won`t support this cheap copy of STP. P.S. new track is dreadful once again, there`s no Stone Temple Pilots without Scott Weiland behind the microphone.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't mind the new track...but I must say it does seem odd to call it STP without scott...he has his issues but he's also the major part of that band.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It is hypocrisy to be pro new GnR and against new STP though.  Years don't define a band; if they did, this band would be GnR, not the old band, but a large, large percentage of people will never recognize this band as GnR.  It's because of what they accomplished and the level they reached, not the number of years.

I don't consider either band to be the real thing.  I don't consider Van Hagar to be VH either.  Same with BS.  I think the only one I recognize is AC/DC and a) the singer died...he wasn't fired or didn't run off with the band name; and b) they were more popular (at least in the US) with their new singer than they ever were with there old one (thus relating to what they accomplished).

Board footer