You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: STONE TEMPLE PILOTS return with CHESTER BENNINGTON as their FRONTMAN!

apex-twin wrote:

Ouch.

The real source of the issue was around the Core anniversary. The band planned on doing the album, front to back, but nixed the idea when Scott didn’t practice with them. Then Scott lobbied and pushed really hard to do Core, and the band said “fine let’s try them”. So they did. And Scott just couldn’t pull it off. He just doesn’t have that range anymore.

So the band is saying “dude we can’t do it, you can’t sing it” and Scott was really defensive about it. Scott was basically in denial thinking it sounding great and the rest of the band basically said there’s no way we can do Piece of Pie, Sin, Where the River Goes etc…

So they said we’ll stick with the hits and the songs you can do. To their credit, they never went in the media and bashed Scott or said he couldn’t sing stuff publicly, but I do remember at one point Kretz saying one guy in the band couldn’t take criticism at all. That’s obviously Scott.

So anyway, after some time Scott basically said “that’s fine, fuck you guys, I’ll do my own solo tour and advertise and play the songs as a Core celebration myself”. The band said if you make money off our legacy and tour promoting a “Core” anno then you’re taking money from us. The band wasn’t ok with that because he was basically taking money away from the band and essentially touring under the promotion of the STP brand.

The band was not cool with that at all, but Scott decided to do it anyway because he said “hey if you guys don’t want to play these songs, I’ll do them myself”. So the band views Scott as promoting something that could alienate fans from STP, but they felt they couldn’t perform those songs themselves without their legacy taking a hit based on how they sounded in rehearsal.

They also didn’t like the idea of Scott making money on his own off Core/Purple without them, basically milking his status as the singer and leaving them out to dry. Their position is/was that if you’re going to perform using STP to sell your tour, then it needs to be with us as your band." - source

The lawsuit sheds light on the band's breakup, accusing Weiland of interacting with band mates only through lawyers or managers and showing up late to the group's 2012 shows. It cites Weiland's addiction struggles and poor performances as detriments to the band's earning potential.

"The band endured much strife and lost significant opportunities because of Weiland," the suit states.

In a message posted to his website Friday, Weiland said his former band mates shouldn't call themselves Stone Temple Pilots either.

"First of all they don't have the legal right to call themselves STP because I'm still a member of the band," he said. "And more importantly, they don't have the ethical right to call themselves Stone Temple Pilots because it's misleading and dishonest to the millions of fans that have followed us for so many years." - source

Weiland is currently on the "Purple to the Core" tour with his solo band, The Wildabouts. roll

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
smoke wrote:

Cool info, Intercourse. Always interesting when the true story starts getting sorted out.

Cheers Smoke, pity I can't fucking type!

Scott needs rehab and a big rethink about how he got all he did and how he has ended up where he is. Hs solo shows have been panned. I fear the worst for him.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

It's certainly not looking good for him. Hope he pulls it together, but he's got a long row to hoe.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

If I were a famous musician I would have died young. There's just too much awesome out there, and I'm a terrible hedonist.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

"Their position is/was that if you’re going to perform using STP to sell your tour, then it needs to be with us as your band."

That would make sense except at the same time they're saying he isn't good enough to perform the STP songs without damaging their legacy.

Scott obviously has his drug issues, and it seems like it's all gone to his head a bit with the showing up late and the bullshit he was kicked from VR for too....but at the same time....I can see why that's frustrating...they tell him he isn't good enough to sing his own songs with them...and that he can't sing them without them?

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:
smoke wrote:

It's certainly not looking good for him. Hope he pulls it together, but he's got a long row to hoe.

Me too!!

I'd be Keith Moon II

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

"Their position is/was that if you’re going to perform using STP to sell your tour, then it needs to be with us as your band."

That would make sense except at the same time they're saying he isn't good enough to perform the STP songs without damaging their legacy.

Scott obviously has his drug issues, and it seems like it's all gone to his head a bit with the showing up late and the bullshit he was kicked from VR for too....but at the same time....I can see why that's frustrating...they tell him he isn't good enough to sing his own songs with them...and that he can't sing them without them?

What I think they were politely saying here Monkey is that his throat is fried from being a massive alcoholic and he was too incapasitated to hit the big notes.
He's not fit enough anymore to do the big tunes. Look at him these days, a slightly bloated, slurring mess. Singers need to stay very fit to continue after their 20's. Axls singing is very patchy these days but his drinking has been stellar. The link is undeniable.

In fact, you could look at it that the guys wanted to do the 20th anniversary tour but their lead man is too liquered up to do anything challenging. They were probably trying to work out how to get this tour over the line but ensure Scott could deliver.

Scott Weiland is a man that has burned through every chance he was given and he's had many. As I said, the STP band probably felt they had no choice but to endure with Scott... until Chester came along and their lawyer could prove that they could go on as STP without Scott.

Find me one musician who is not working for Scott who says the man is a dream to work with. You won't and that's sad 'cause I'm a fan, saw Scott in Dublin with STP and he knocked it out of the park.

I just hope the man finally realises that his future is better mapped out as a sober man.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

^^I saw him with STP in Jersey back in '01, and he blew me away too. They were headlining the Family Values Tour, saw them shortly after 9/11 and they played the best cover of Revolution by the Beatles, dedicated to the recent event. It's was pretty moving.

Real shame what's happened with him.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Slash posted... haters are gonna hate but ChesterB sings the fuck out of STP songs... or something like that

I posted

DJ Ashba plays the fuck out of GNR songs

HAHAH can't believe I had an Anti Slash moment.

now im being flamed like a motherfucker haha

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

What I think they were politely saying here Monkey is that his throat is fried from being a massive alcoholic and he was too incapasitated to hit the big notes.

Ahh..yeah well if it's only from drinking then that is his own fault I guess.

I just felt the "we won't play your songs with you cos you suck and you can't play them with anyone else" was a bit of a tough line..but yeah I guess if his drinking is messing up the show that's a different thing.

I recently saw Steven Tyler live who I gather is sober and I can tell you vocally he was on his A game....very impressive stuff.

Board footer