You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: STONE TEMPLE PILOTS return with CHESTER BENNINGTON as their FRONTMAN!

Saikin wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, but STP have always been those four guys. It's not as though Scott had another band called STP with different members and they joined after.

And by that same logic they shouldn't be allowed to call themselves STP without Scott, as Chester joined the party 20 some years late.

Most reactions towards them seem to be negative so far.  I say good.  I'd rather get no STP music than "STP with Chester" music.  Please don't tarnish the legacy. 

Also, I can't be the only one that finds it ironic that Chester receives an award for his commitment to helping musicians overcome addiction... and then comes out and plays as the new lead singer of STP, replacing one of the biggest addicts of the 90's.  So he helps addicts, just not Scott, because well, STP are his FAVORITE band and he'd love to be their singer, so fuck Scott and stuff.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Saikin wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, but STP have always been those four guys. It's not as though Scott had another band called STP with different members and they joined after.

And by that same logic they shouldn't be allowed to call themselves STP without Scott, as Chester joined the party 20 some years late.

Most reactions towards them seem to be negative so far.  I say good.  I'd rather get no STP music than "STP with Chester" music.  Please don't tarnish the legacy. 

Also, I can't be the only one that finds it ironic that Chester receives an award for his commitment to helping musicians overcome addiction... and then comes out and plays as the new lead singer of STP, replacing one of the biggest addicts of the 90's.  So he helps addicts, just not Scott, because well, STP are his FAVORITE band and he'd love to be their singer, so fuck Scott and stuff.

Yeah, I know what you're getting at, but that's not really why I made that point though.
I was just pointing it out to Son of A Gun that the other 3 original STP members have just as much right to call themselves STP as he thinks Scott alone does.

I think they'd be better off calling themselves something else too, but so far, what I've seen and heard from them has impressed me enough, that without Scott I think it could actually work.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Change god damn name you money hungry whores, there`s no Stone Temple Pilots without Scott. Fuck splash for being a hypocrite.

Upset much dude...? 14 14 14

If Axl can get by using the GN'R name and being the only original member, I think STP with 3 original members have every right to use their name as well.

They don`t. Scott is a founding member not these pricks. Slash is ok with them carrying on without original vocalist ? he`s a hypocrite to say the least.

This is obviously very close and personal in nature to Slash, and I completely see how it would appear hypocritical.  And honestly, it is.  BUT, I think the fact that it's Scott has everything to do with it.  He obviously had his trials and tribulations with him in VR and has said he'll never work professionally with him again (in a band setting).  He obviously doesn't think too highly of him, so I think that's why he doesn't feel much remorse for Scott and supports STP going forward.  I doubt he'd feel the same if Metallica decided to get rid of Hetfield and replace him with Jonathan Davis.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
faldor wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Upset much dude...? 14 14 14

If Axl can get by using the GN'R name and being the only original member, I think STP with 3 original members have every right to use their name as well.

They don`t. Scott is a founding member not these pricks. Slash is ok with them carrying on without original vocalist ? he`s a hypocrite to say the least.

This is obviously very close and personal in nature to Slash, and I completely see how it would appear hypocritical.  And honestly, it is.  BUT, I think the fact that it's Scott has everything to do with it.  He obviously had his trials and tribulations with him in VR and has said he'll never work professionally with him again (in a band setting).  He obviously doesn't think too highly of him, so I think that's why he doesn't feel much remorse for Scott and supports STP going forward.  I doubt he'd feel the same if Metallica decided to get rid of Hetfield and replace him with Jonathan Davis.

He`s a still hypocrite in my book he does n`t have to work with him if he does n`t want but he should n`t have endorsed STP without Scott. Duff is whatever.....

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Slash is also known to change his mind/story over the years.  So I wouldn't be surprised to hear him say that he supports the idea of Chester teaming up with the DeLeo's, but they should probably go by a different name.

OR, he just really hates Scott and loves seeing him suffer like this (granted most of it self inflicted), so he'll stick to his original viewpoint.

justbill
 Rep: 16 

justbill wrote:

6.3.13: Scott Weiland Countersues Stone Temple Pilots
The ousted singer seeks damages, says band conspired against him

Scott Weiland has struck back against Stone Temple Pilots, filing a countersuit last Friday against his former band. Earlier in May, Stone Temple Pilots sued their former singer accusing him of misusing the band's name to further his solo work and requested that a judge block him from using the group's name and catalog. Weiland is seeking at least $5 million in compensatory damages, and says his former bandmates conspired against him.

"How do you expel a man from a band that he started, named, sang lead on every song, wrote the lyrics and was the face of for 20 years, and then try to grab the name and goodwill for yourselves?" Weiland's complaint reads. "You don't, but three of the instrumentalists from the band 'Stone Temple Pilots' (the 'Band') tried."

As evidence, Weiland has highlighted a partnership agreement signed by Stone Temple Pilots in 1996, and amended in 2010 – seemingly the same agreement cited by the band in their own lawsuit. Weiland argues the agreement allows each band member to perform on his own, and says the band kicked him out to continue performing as Stone Temple Pilots; under the agreement, Weiland says, they would be forced to play under a different name if separate and apart from him.

Weiland maintains he had reached out to his bandmates multiple times, but his attempts at communication were ignored. He is seeking compensatory damages "in excess" of $5 million, along with statutory damages of up to $2 million for each "willful use" of the Stone Temple Pilots name "per mark, per type of goods or services sold, offered for sale or distributed." Stone Temple Pilots performed last month with Linkin Park's Chester Bennington on vocals, which would represent one count of Weiland's sought-after statutory damages.

Read More: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … s-20130603

# # # # #

In my opinion...

This forthcoming case has arbitration written all over it... Breaking Benjamin recently settled their case behind closed doors with an arbitrator (frontman Benjamin Burnley won the rights to the name and stated Breaking Benjamin was returning soon).

This case is tricky and probably won't make it to a courtroom as this will most likely be settled, privately. Part of me says the band members will be able to continue using the name, but Scott may very well see a portion of the incoming cash (POSSIBLY)... Regardless, when the dust settles, it's safe to say that all four parties involved will make a lot of cash from this.

I'm pretty confident, this will be settled in arbitration... But, that's my opinion.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This isn't shit compared to Axl using the name GNR being the lone original member.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15JqUsTHbg

scott slaughters Chester.... STP full of shit.. his range is still amazing

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's going to come down to the wording of their partnership agreement I guess.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I'm siding with weiland here

Board footer