You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

polluxlm wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Saw Fast 6 the other day. A fun action film. Nothing more. I enjoyed it with my bro. Don't know why they need to make so many besides each film making good profit at the box office.

The biggest reason is they get better and better.

One of the strangest series life I've seen. The first film was a typical sleeper hit. Relatively unknown actors on a small budget ending up as an action gem. Then the inevitable sequel sucks, the third one I heard so little about I thought the series was dead for sure. Then they bring back Diesel for the fourth, ok this is gotta be the last right? But no, that one was a big enough hit to up the budget for the fifth movie which was a big hit, and now they're making the SIXTH movie on what? 150 million budget? Strange enough in itself, but even stranger considering most of the actors are washed up or getting close to it and the films ain't that great either. Paul Walker must feel like the luckiest guy on the planet.

Yeah you have a point. I saw parts of the 5'th one and what I saw I enjoyed. I don't think I would of enjoyed this new film as much if my friend didn't join me. Originally we are going to do a big group; but it didn't work out. I agree with Axlin's Lethal Weapon and buddy action flick formula explanation as well. Vin Diesel is also doing the Riddick sequel/reboot. So hoping that's good.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Paul Walker must feel like the luckiest guy on the planet.

What about Vin Diesel? His feature film work starting from his return to the FF franchise:

2009 Fast & Furious
Dominic Toretto

2011 Fast Five
Dominic Toretto

2013 Fast & Furious 6
Dominic Toretto

And that's it. He also contributed to keeping the Riddick franchise alive on the interim. That's one's an anomaly similar to FF. Pitch Black, the first film, was a sleeper hit. Nice. The second installment overestimated the immediate box-office returns and nearly killed it. Diesel kept on popping into the role with (generally favored) video games and an animated short. With the FF franchise bringing him back some box-office cred, the Riddick franchise is to get a third feature this year.

It's all completely ass-backwards if you think about it, but that's how it goes. Guess Diesel just hits a chord with certain audiences, having two currently chugging series' under his belt.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The difference is Vin Diesel has a fan base. Sure he blew his shot to be an A lister back with Riddick 2 and Triple X, but he's the kind of actor who can always eek out a respectable living doing lesser action flicks. What does Walker have without FF? Obviously they're both extremely lucky to be part of these films but at least Diesel has the potential to have something of a career after this. At best Walker is looking at Chad Everett territory.

Me_Wise_Magic

Saw This is the End last night and Man of Steel earlier today. Loved both films. This is the End is fucking hilarious and weird at times do to the many stuff that gets thrown at you with the situational comedy and the over the top personalities that the actors do to themselves.  Cast was on fire. Won't spoil any other details. Discussed my positive thoughts on Superman in another thread.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Scarface! Can't believe I'm 38 and just only watched it. Carlitos way next

Me_Wise_Magic

Saw World War Z on friday and it was pretty good! Could of stretched out some details alot better for explanation. Need to read the book cause I hear it's superior and the movie is it's own.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Couple of rewatches.

Miami Vice - This film just continues to grow. Severely underrated though people are starting to catch up. A modern classic.

The Insider - Another "forgotten" classic. What a cast!

Public Enemies - Stellar period piece, just not as captivating as his other work.

Heat - Still the best film ever made. Pacino, DeNiro, Kilmer, Sizemore, Wes Studi, Tom Noonan, Ted Levine, Ashley Judd, Amy Brenneman, Danny Trejo, William Fichtner, Jon Voight, Mykelti Williamson, Dennis Haysbert, Natalie Portman and Diane Venora. Are you kidding me? Greatest cast in the history of film.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

What does Walker have without FF?

A Monster in the Closet?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Couple of rewatches.

Miami Vice - This film just continues to grow. Severely underrated though people are starting to catch up. A modern classic.

The Insider - Another "forgotten" classic. What a cast!

Public Enemies - Stellar period piece, just not as captivating as his other work.

Heat - Still the best film ever made. Pacino, DeNiro, Kilmer, Sizemore, Wes Studi, Tom Noonan, Ted Levine, Ashley Judd, Amy Brenneman, Danny Trejo, William Fichtner, Jon Voight, Mykelti Williamson, Dennis Haysbert, Natalie Portman and Diane Venora. Are you kidding me? Greatest cast in the history of film.

Agreed about Heat. Awesome film!

Miami Vice is terrible though. Completely misses the mark.

Miami Vice the tv show was about two cool as fuck cops, in beautiful Miami solving crimes and hooking up with even more beautiful women. The movie reflects none of that. Way too moody and dark, and where are all the beautiful women and locations. Colin Farrel wastes his time on one average looking Asian woman for majority of the film.

Only good thing I can say about it is that Audioslave were in the soundtrack which was pretty cool.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

The show and the film are two completely different things, and in that sense it's obviously a bad "sequel". But I like how a traditional cops and robbers film is played out like an arthouse flick. For a 150 million budget the movie is one of a kind. And Gong Li is hot, come on!

Board footer