You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: In a perfect world.

RaZor wrote:

image.jpg

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Perfect may be coming on a tad too strong. How about "In a world that is not a complete and utter trainwreck"? 14

In a perfect world Axl would be delivering AFD quality albums on a seasonal basis. In a perfect world the music would do the talking, not the housekeeper.

At this point I'd settle for a derail.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Perfect may be coming on a tad too strong. How about "In a world that is not a complete and utter trainwreck"? 14

In a perfect world Axl would be delivering AFD quality albums on a seasonal basis. In a perfect world the music would do the talking, not the housekeeper.

At this point I'd settle for a derail.

14 well said. I'm strongly considering renaming the thread. 14

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I thought I had gotten over it, but it's back. The feeling that my favorite artist of all time isn't coming back. But such is the sickness of being a die-hard that I'll go to my own grave waiting to be shown I was wrong.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

The truly tragic part about all of this is that Axl is seemingly still able to create great music. If Metallica, U2 or AC/DC disappeared of the face of the earth for decades at the time I wouldn't give a shit since the excitement for anything new was lost on their crap release number 3 or whatever. Everything I've heard from Axl is either very, very good or interesting enough to be hungry for more. Yet HE is the one that can't release any music. Old band bias withstanding, the fans appear to agree. So what is wrong with this picture?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The truly tragic part about all of this is that Axl is seemingly still able to create great music. If Metallica, U2 or AC/DC disappeared of the face of the earth for decades at the time I wouldn't give a shit since the excitement for anything new was lost on their crap release number 3 or whatever. Everything I've heard from Axl is either very, very good or interesting enough to be hungry for more. Yet HE is the one that can't release any music. Old band bias withstanding, the fans appear to agree. So what is wrong with this picture?

Odd comparison by your choice of bands to mention...

Let's see, GN'R released AFD and UYI (both amazing), followed up by TSI (considered mediocre by the general public) followed up by just ONE album CD, which again, doesn't really live up to the GN'R classics, even if it is quite good.

Metallica released 4 (5 if you count the Black album) amazing albums. All of ACDC's 70's albums with Bon Scott, and Back In Black were amazing albums. And even U2, have a string of amazing albums leading up to Achtung Baby and Zooropa.

GN'R by comparison have 2 great albums (AFD & UYI) and nothing really suggests that Axl can still create great music, hence why we have one new album from him in 20 years

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

I picked them as a good example of what happens when you're successful and pushing 40 or 50. The hunger dies. I might as well have said Paul McCartney, The Stones and Aerosmith. None of them have put out anything worth remembering for 20-30 years. CD and the odd leaks are miles ahead of any recent efforts from those bands. CD may not be great (though I think it is), but by any measurement it's quite good. Apart from a few songs those other bands don't even achieve that.

Though, no matter how you look at it, for one of the most talented artist in recent decades to only have released a handful of albums is a tragedy in itself. To be regularly mentioned in the same breath as those bands with only 2 acclaimed albums under the belt is an achievement.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:
smoke wrote:

I thought I had gotten over it, but it's back. The feeling that my favorite artist of all time isn't coming back. But such is the sickness of being a die-hard that I'll go to my own grave waiting to be shown I was wrong.

I feel you bro, feel much the same way. A leak comes along and I'm feeling anxious and impatient for a new album all over again.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I picked them as a good example of what happens when you're successful and pushing 40 or 50. The hunger dies. None of them have put out anything worth remembering for 20-30 years. CD and the odd leaks are miles ahead of any recent efforts from those bands. CD may not be great (though I think it is), but by any measurement it's quite good. Apart from a few songs those other bands don't even achieve that.

Though, no matter how you look at it, for one of the most talented artist in recent decades to only have released a handful of albums is a tragedy in itself. To be regularly mentioned in the same breath as those bands with only 2 acclaimed albums under the belt is an achievement.

Metallica's Death Magnetic was certainly up there with their best stuff (in my opinion) and I thought the Load albums were pretty good too.
But you're forgetting that had any of these bands taken 15 years to release one album like Axl did, they too would probably be up there or better than CD.

I'm not saying that so much as a dig at you, but really, I don't think Axl has any more hunger or ambition than the bands you're comparing him to.

The only thing Axl has going for him in releasing one album in 20 years, is that he didn't have the chance to release below average music by releasing music more regularly, so he kinda gets a free pass with that...

But I'd hardly call ACDC, Metallica and U2 slouches when it came to releasing consistently quality music.
They all have many albums under their belts released within short time frames, that Axl really can't compete with.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

I'm in the mood to listen to all of these in order. I've never done it before.

Board footer