You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Superman Thread.

Axlin12 wrote:

Actually Me Wise is totally right. Especially with Superman's agreement with the U.S. government at the end of Man of Steel, Superman is EASILY manipulateable. In modern times, that's how that story is done. The government is corrupt and is basically owned by the war industry.

If you can't "buy" Superman and you can't "capture" Superman, you just have to convince Superman that the "Batman" that's fighting for his justice.... is a terrorist.

BOOM

You have the UN and the world since 9/11/2001.

It is going to be interesting to see the story pulled off. Fans and artists have already created art showing Batman in the batcave observing Zod's hacked broadcast of the YOU ARE NOT ALONE scenario. Thought that could transition really well if they call back to it in SVB.

AtariLegend wrote:

Very bad idea, Affleck as Batman? In what way does that make sense.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

What the fuck?

Me_Wise_Magic

BLS-Pride wrote:

What the fuck?

Very strange and doesn't feel right; but I will reserve judgement when I see that trailer or some promo images in costume. I personally think WB are foolish for not going for Karl Urban or Josh Brolin. Hell even Jon Hamm would of been interesting or pulling Keaton back out of left field.

Bloodflower
 Rep: 8 

Bloodflower wrote:

Call me crazy but I actually think this might be a good choice. Affleck was great in Argo so we know he can act. Just depends on if he can pull this off or not. Nobody liked Heath Ledger as The Joker until we saw him as The Joker so......

Lomax wrote:
Bloodflower wrote:

Call me crazy but I actually think this might be a good choice. Affleck was great in Argo so we know he can act. Just depends on if he can pull this off or not. Nobody liked Heath Ledger as The Joker until we saw him as The Joker so......

I love AMC movie talk. I watch it religiously. I agree I think this is Affleck's big chance to redeem his acting career.
People are being waaaaaay too over the top about this. Of course he can pull it off!
Look at Henry Cavill, would anybody put his acting chops on par with a Christian Bale type?? No. He's not even on par with Affleck BUT he's a great superman.

This has the potential to be excellent. Anyway batman isn't the crucial casting in this movie (I know I know controversial statement, hear me out). The crucial casting will be the villain. It's a Batman Vs Superman film, so they start off opposing one another, it's been suggested by Snyder that batman will see Superman as a threat because of the destruction leveled on metropolis in the first movie along with his insistence that he won't be controlled and that the world simply needs to trust that this Godlike figure will remain perpetually incorruptible.

Excellent, there's the opening act set-up. Act two is going to need to introduce a threat large enough to make
Superman and Batman work together, they don't need to like each other just to work as a team "this one time" to overcome whatever threat so they can save the day and resume fighting each other afterwards. In the third act Batman and Superman need to overcome the rivalry and start to trust each other so that they can overcome whatever threat Snyder and Goyer come up with. Trust will be a big theme in this movie as at the end of Man of Steel the american government don't trust Superman and Superman doesn't trust them either, and Snyder has pretty much said it's Batman's mistrust of this new God come down from on high that will make him go after him.
They're going to need one HELL of a villain to make Batman and Superman reconcile differences that big and they need to have these characters develop at least a fleeting level of respect for one another if they ever want that Justice League movie and do due diligence to the comic books. (Where Bats and Supes are pretty much BFFs)

When you really look at where this film is already headed Affleck is only really going to have any kind of focus on himself alone in the first act of the movie. That said however,  we gotta keep in mind that this is a SUPERMAN MOVIE FIRST AND FOREMOST, it's unlikely that ANY of the narrative will be told from the point of view of Affleck's Batman.
Was the story of the Dark Knight Rises told from the POV of the Joker? No. Why would it be. It wasn't a Joker film. It was a Joker VS Batman film that was part of a wider Batman arc. We won't get that personal look inside Bruce/Batman's head and life that we're used of. This will be a very different batman.

At long last we're going to get a movie where we see Batman from the outsiders perspective and from that perspective he is a frighteningly dark psychopathic vigilante shrouded in mystery who may or may not even be 100% human. It's that outside perspective on Batman that I've always wanted to see. This movie will be great. There's not much riding on Affleck here. He'd have to work hard to fuck it up and he won't fuck it up because  with the level of respect he's achieved in Hollywood today for his directing, he could entirely re-write history with one decent performance in this role.

Me_Wise_Magic

ALL OF THIS!! smile I have a strong feeling that the villains will be Lex and probably Brainiac. Maybe a Batman foe instead of Brainiac. Depends.

Man of Steel is coming out on Blu Ray/DVD in November too.

Me_Wise_Magic

SUPERMAN LIVES DOC NEWS:

Jon recently released a teaser trailer on the development of the doc and the various people he has interviewed. He has not revealed the big guns at the moment; but is teasing a video clip of you know who expressing his thoughts looking back on the project as well as the news on the doc. Right now it's only for Kickstarter viewers; so if Smoke and BLS have already backed the project they can view it on the project page or through email. Eventually Jon is going to release it to the public online. He is shooting for an early 2014 release since he wanted to tweak alot of the film. Add more guests and content. Which I'm completely cool with. Looks pretty fucking sweet so far. He didn't even show the trailer at Comic Con and decided to polish some things.

I'M PUMPED!!!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Superman Lives was the most bizarro, watercooler talk on the high school basketball court of my high school experience.

I was SO PUMPED to see it. I thought you had a bonafide nerd in Kevin Smith writing it, Burton was gonna return and do it his way, Cage fit right in with Burton's world, and it was so unclassifiable that I thought it would turn into the "Howling II: Your Sister Is A Werewolf" of superhero movies. I couldn't wait to see that trainwreck.

Plus I thought it'd set up a Superman vs. Batman film with both Burton worlds, and thought that was just awesome. Damn thing never happened tho...

Anybody ever hear of that Frank Miller/Darren Aaronofsky (name?) version of Batman: Year One they wanted to do with Bruce Wayne as a poor Travis Bickle mechanic, Catwoman as a black prostitute, and Clint Eastwood hell bent on revenge as James Gordon? That one was equally crazy.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

What the fuck?

Very strange and doesn't feel right; but I will reserve judgement when I see that trailer or some promo images in costume. I personally think WB are foolish for not going for Karl Urban or Josh Brolin. Hell even Jon Hamm would of been interesting or pulling Keaton back out of left field.

Keaton is WAY too old for this kind of film. Only way that would've worked would've been if they would've set the next Man of Steel film well into the future (thus all the technology in the first film), so it distances itself from Batman Begins and TDK, but not TDKR. And basically do a "Dark Knight Returns" film with the 55+ year old Bruce Wayne, and have Keaton reprise the role. That would've been interesting.

But based on the comic, I always thought the best choice for TDK-Returns was totally Mel Gibson. He's bigger, broader, aged, fucking crazy, and reminds me in real life of everything I would imagine a fried 55-year old Wayne returning to the cape and cowl to be. Still do. Hope that film gets made one day in a dystopian future.

Board footer