You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: In a perfect world.

AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ Not to be a dick...but it sort of depends how you count....while he began in 1998...that was after a 7 year holiday from songwriting since UYI.

TSI was started as an EP that the band thought it would be easier to do than a full original album.

Axl took multiple years to even record the UYI vocals.

I'm not saying he is creatively done but there's a lot of evidence to suggest at minimum it's an issue.

UYI was supposed to be 4 discs at one point as well, tracks like Black Leather/Attitude ect were done in UYI sessions and there were other tracks from those session's like "The Plague", "Nightcrawler" and others.

While we can say new band possibly started as a full band in 98 (?), "This I Love" was a unused UYI song and "Berlin" for example we were told was originally "Oklahoma" from 1995.

Sounds about that especially the original announcement of having an early demo version of TIL being on that Robin William's flick from '98. Which never materialized.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Axlin,
You say that you believe that "nor does Slash have the ego to allow smarter, more talented people around him (think Cornell or Axl) on a regular basis"... Can you show me the material that made you reach this opinion on Slash? I ask because I seem to agree with everything you say about GNR except for this position.

I don't doubt for a second that Slash held fast on material he sent to Axl when they were heading for their split, BUT Slash was fighting for his musical life at that stage and you know what they say about injured and cornered animals...

Below is what Chris & Slash said about working together in the past and present...I just don't see the ego issue you claim probably exists....

(From Classic Rock when "Slash I" came out)...

""I met Slash in 1992 when G&R took Soundgarden on tour. He was extremely gracious and always very supportive. Often when you tour with a band that are that successful, they treat you like shit. Slash was always a very consistent and amiable person and he is now. And I will say this - and I don't mean this as a slight to him, it's actually a compliment - Slash is the most drunk guitarist I have ever seen play well on stage. I was never able to be that trashed and that good at the same time. That's a part of his consistency: he doesn't drink now and he's still great. That dedication to music is what drives his character."

Meanwhile in an interview with MusicRadar.com, Slash gives his own view of the song and on working with Chris.

'Chris was great. "Promise" was probably the most unorthodox piece of music that I'™d written, it was very different. It was one of those things, I don'™t know why I thought of him for that song more than any of the others, but I sent it to him and within 48 hours he sent me this great lyric and we were off and running. It was as simple as that. Everybody seems to like this one."

Sounds like all was rosy in the garden between both men, back in the day and now.
I think Slash has a huge myth of guarded egomania built around him by certain fans who took sides after the original GNR split, but for the life of me I simply cannot find one interview from anyone except Axl that states he became impossible to work with collaborativelty because of this.
The Corey issue may be just waht you're referring to but I think that's more to do with personal taste than ego issues.
Happy to be proved wrong!

Then I guess it comes down to Slash having a cruddy taste in vocalists. Come on man, do you really think that Slash surrounded himself with quality vocalists over the years? The only person anybody even knows who he associated himself with was Axl Rose and Scott Weiland. That's it. This "band" that's SO GREAT of his, has a vocalist WITH HIS NAME IN THE TITLE, and people still don't know who the fuck Myles Kennedy is. Why? Because his vocal talent doesn't back it up.

I always felt Slash did this on purpose. Sure, he'd do a collab with Cornell, but not a full album. And even his choice of Weiland, he made it clear was a more miserable experience than dealing with Axl, which says UNIVERSES.

I think Slash consciously always hired people that were just a peg under his guitar-prowess because he didn't want to be outshined, and his music is a result. Obviously when Axl walked in in 1994/95 and said his Snakepit demos "needed work", Axl was absolutely right. I still listen to that first SP record, and think "what's the big deal about this record other than Slash's guitar work?" -- Nothing. Same with most of his solo stuff. The dude is mega-talented, but he's the motorcycle club-version of Buckethead.

Could you imagine Slash taking Kim Thayil's job in Soundgarden if Kim quit? No... imo. That's my point. It's not about honor, it's about him not wanting that position, and I think he's pretty much said that in interview after interview, that even with a GN'R reunion, it wouldn't work unless there was a "mutual respect", and I think that's what he's getting at with GN'R and everything in his post-GN'R career.

Slash could take hisself back to GN'R-level popularity with the talent he has, if he'd trust someone to let them fuck with his songs. He won't.

Bloodflower
 Rep: 8 

Bloodflower wrote:

I think Todd Kerns should be the singer in Slash's band. No joke. For real.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Bloodflower wrote:

I think Todd Kerns should be the singer in Slash's band. No joke. For real.

I would love that. I believe eventually that will happen. Todd does alot of those songs especially the heavier range GNR tunes so much more justice. Myles while I like some of his songs on the record and does some tunes great live. The rest not so much. His voice doesn't work well with that material. Can't say he sucks; but can't see him ever being in that great lead singers category even the current generation.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

This "band" that's SO GREAT of his, has a vocalist WITH HIS NAME IN THE TITLE, and people still don't know who the fuck Myles Kennedy is. Why? Because his vocal talent doesn't back it up.

Not sure about that...I meet quite a lot of rabid Alterbridge fans down under who love the guy.

I don't mind AB but I'm not hardcore like them....lets just say I there's people who know who he is smile

Axlin12 wrote:

I think Slash consciously always hired people that were just a peg under his guitar-prowess because he didn't want to be outshined, and his music is a result. Obviously when Axl walked in in 1994/95 and said his Snakepit demos "needed work", Axl was absolutely right.

I don't think that's the reason though,

I think it's that Slash is on a mission to get shit done.

Back in the day it was because he needed to do stuff to keep alive, now I think it's because he knows life is short after his hardcore living earlier.

I think it's simply pragmatic.

Give Axl that snakepit album - his mods to it will take years....2+ years for UYI and at least 10 for CD.....and Slash wrote those songs cos he wanted to get back on the road.

Scott rejects two full CDs of Slash/Izzy riffs cos there's "no good material". I call bullshit on that one. More like Scott didn't ever like GNR type rock to begin with.

I think he just finds people the rest of the time to get shit done. If they're less famous than him they'll co-operate...people more famous will call the shots about timelines and whatever else.

Board footer