You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

RaZor wrote:

Question for the forum, what's the best Metallica album of the 83-91 era?  My personal favorite is the Black Album, it has the most memorable songs IMO. I think most will say master of puppets, I believe that's what's generally considered their best. Would love to know what the folks here think though.

What's the best Metallica Album from the '83-'91 Era?

Kill Em All 9%
Ride The Lightning 4%
Master of Puppets 48%
...And Justice For All 13%
The Black Album 26%
Total votes: 23
smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

No question in my mind it's Master, but all five of these albums are completely awesome.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

Hell yeah they're all awesome. \m/ \m/

I totally get the merits of masters, but when I think of my favorite Metallica songs, a disproportionate about of them come from the black album. It's also the album I've listened to most. As much as I like the others, songs that go on for over 8 minutes loose my interest. I start getting bored after a while, start skipping songs, eventually put on something else.

Same thing happens to me with the longer GNR songs, November Rain, Coma, Estranged; their among my favorite GNR songs, but it's a bit of a chore listening to them all the way through, and I don't do it often.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Oh yeah I agree. I'm going with Black as well. I don't care what people say that it's when Metallica having pop hooks in their songs or selling to the mainstream. It's a fantastic metal album with lots of songs that you listen to time and time again. Lots of good riffs too. I'm a fan of Master which I still need to pick up soon and most of Ride the Lightning.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Master is my favourite.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Black for me not really a fan of their early stuff. Same as Avenged Sevenfold not a fan of thier early stuff either but love the new album Hail To The King

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Being the resident Metallica nut at this forum, I'm gonna have to think about this... 10

Absolutely love Puppets, but I listen to Justice way more these days, and I love how gritty and in your face it is. If you're ever in a fucked up mood, it's the perfect soundtrack to exorcising some demons... 9 9 9

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
smoke wrote:

No question in my mind it's Master, but all five of these albums are completely awesome.

^ Pretty much this.

One great metal album is hard to make for any band, letalone FIVE!

A lot of people who bash Metallica these days seem to forget that.
Those five albums solidified their legend status, regardless of what you think of their more current musical output.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Being the resident Metallica nut at this forum, I'm gonna have to think about this... 10

Absolutely love Puppets, but I listen to Justice way more these days, and I love how gritty and in your face it is. If you're ever in a fucked up mood, it's the perfect soundtrack to exorcising some demons... 9 9 9

It's nice to see an arguments for an album other than masters or the black one. I had a buddy who's favorite was Kill Em All, because it had more of an underground sound. He was more into 70's and 80's punk than he was into metal.

What do you think of the black album btw? I know a lot of fans dislike it because its when they started going mainstream.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

It's a tough pick, because they all have their merits for what they are.

Like you said, Kill Em All was part punk, and it also has this naive youth attitude that makes it great.
Ride The Lightning was a step up from that, as was Master of Puppets, with complex arrangements and songwriting getting stronger. And to me their progressive side (mixed with aggression) peaked with Justice, and thats the side of Metallica that I love!

The Black album is a classic though, and I hold it in pretty high regard, as it was the album that first introduced me to Metallica, which then lead me to the goldmine of the first four albums before it.

In the Summer of 1992, I moved on from Bon Jovi, and discovered GN'R, then Metallica, and as an impressionable youth discovering rock n roll, these were amazing years to be a rock fan!

Anyway, the Black album, while many yell sell out, I still think it's pretty damn good. And to my ears it is a METAL album, even if the tempos were slowed down, and has radio friendly hooks. Just listen to Sad But True up loud and thats as metal as it gets. 9

Board footer