You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

RaZor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

In the Summer of 1992, I moved on from Bon Jovi, and discovered GN'R, then Metallica, and as an impressionable youth discovering rock n roll, these were amazing years to be a rock fan!

Anyway, the Black album, while many yell sell out, I still think it's pretty damn good. And to my ears it is a METAL album, even if the tempos were slowed down, and has radio friendly hooks. Just listen to Sad But True up loud and thats as metal as it gets. 9

Load and ReLoad were the albums that really got me into Metallica because those were the one's that came out when I was in high school. But I grew up on Masters and the black album, because those were the one's my sister used to listen too all the time. Lol.

Funny you mention Bon Jovi, but growing up all that was playing in my house was slippery when wet, New Jersey, AFD, UYI1, UYI2, master and the black album.

Metallica was my least favorite of the 3 though. Not because of the music, but because of the BS with Napster. It really left a bad taste in my mouth, and it still bothers me a bit today. I still enjoy the music, and I still call myself a fan, but I'm still a little detached (not sure if that's the right word) from Lars because of it. I remember my friends going to see them on the St. Anger tour, and me passing because I was so angry at him/them.

What's the best Metallica Album from the '83-'91 Era?

Kill Em All 9%
Ride The Lightning 4%
Master of Puppets 48%
...And Justice For All 13%
The Black Album 26%
Total votes: 23
smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Being the resident Metallica nut at this forum, I'm gonna have to think about this... 10

Absolutely love Puppets, but I listen to Justice way more these days, and I love how gritty and in your face it is. If you're ever in a fucked up mood, it's the perfect soundtrack to exorcising some demons... 9 9 9

I've been spending way more time with Justice for the past year or so. But literally, when I go to work out, it's one of those 5 'tallica albums, any of 4 GNR albums (no Lies or TSI), and that's about it.

I was in high school for Black, and that was my go to workout album for all of HS.

If Lars ever dares to go back and "rerelease" any of those 5 albums, I will personally shit on his house.

smoke

smoke wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

It's a tough pick, because they all have their merits for what they are.

Like you said, Kill Em All was part punk, and it also has this naive youth attitude that makes it great.
Ride The Lightning was a step up from that, as was Master of Puppets, with complex arrangements and songwriting getting stronger. And to me their progressive side (mixed with aggression) peaked with Justice, and thats the side of Metallica that I love!

The Black album is a classic though, and I hold it in pretty high regard, as it was the album that first introduced me to Metallica, which then lead me to the goldmine of the first four albums before it.

In the Summer of 1992, I moved on from Bon Jovi, and discovered GN'R, then Metallica, and as an impressionable youth discovering rock n roll, these were amazing years to be a rock fan!

Anyway, the Black album, while many yell sell out, I still think it's pretty damn good. And to my ears it is a METAL album, even if the tempos were slowed down, and has radio friendly hooks. Just listen to Sad But True up loud and thats as metal as it gets. 9

I don't look at Black as a sell out. If anything was ever a sell out with those guys, it was Load and Another Load. Black to me, is where a Monday morning quarterback points to and says "THAT'S where the signs were first there." Awesome (incredible!) album, but in retrospect it clearly is the link between the first 4 and what came after.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:
smoke wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

It's a tough pick, because they all have their merits for what they are.

Like you said, Kill Em All was part punk, and it also has this naive youth attitude that makes it great.
Ride The Lightning was a step up from that, as was Master of Puppets, with complex arrangements and songwriting getting stronger. And to me their progressive side (mixed with aggression) peaked with Justice, and thats the side of Metallica that I love!

The Black album is a classic though, and I hold it in pretty high regard, as it was the album that first introduced me to Metallica, which then lead me to the goldmine of the first four albums before it.

I don't look at Black as a sell out. If anything was ever a sell out with those guys, it was Load and Another Load. Black to me, is where a Monday morning quarterback points to and says "THAT'S where the signs were first there." Awesome (incredible!) album, but in retrospect it clearly is the link between the first 4 and what came after.

Good point.

It's funny though, I'm not normally one to criticize a band for changing their style and labeling them sell outs, but considering the Napster thing that was going on around the same time, it's kind of hard to deny Lars was all about the benjamen's.

Metallex pointed out that the Black album is when the tempo's started to slow down, which is funny for me because I love that album, but the slower tempos is what turns me off about their newer music.

smoke

smoke wrote:

Black's slower tempos were cool because it made the songs that much darker and gothic and almost doomy (as doom at Metallica could ever be at least.) I think they did a pretty good job with Death Magnetic, but everything between Black and DM can mostly go shit in a hat as far as I'm concerned.

The thing about Load and even Reload to a lesser extent: if some new band had put that stuff out, I probably would have liked it more. There was some catchy and angry stuff on there and some pretty good riffs. But it just didn't feel right to me. S&M, other than No Leaf Clover, was mostly a waste of time and was lazily orchestrated.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

I actually like Reload a little more than Load, the first few songs at least anyway. I know I'm a minority on that, but Fuel, The Memory Remains and Unforgiven 2 are a few of my favorite Metallica songs.

I wouldn't even listen to St. Anger until recently, I remember when the first single came out I was pissed because Metallica came across like they were trying to be System of a Down, and that really pissed me off.  (didn't take much to really piss me off back then 14 ) Not that I don't like SOAD, great fuckin' band, but Metallica isn't SOAD and shouldn't try to be IMO.  Not to mention most of my friends were disappointed by it, so all the more reason to ignore it. 

I've finally listened to it recently, and I didn't think it was bad.  I'm able to be a little more open minded these days 14.  I remember my friends told me the songs were great performed live though, because Kirk was allowed to solo on them.

smoke

smoke wrote:

I think I got through SA once. I need to go back and give it another shot, because even if it stinks, I know it probably doesn't stink as much as the shit they were given over it.

I swear I don't know if this happened for real or in my imagination, but at some point in the Some Kind of Monster vid, I feel like Lars got excited about their new sound with no solos, and all I can see is Kirk's head snapping up like the sound of the record scratching when a party just comes to a halt in the movies... Has to be made up in my brain, but I can't go back and watch that hugfest again to find out.

I saw them preview Fuel during the Black tour. They also pretending to have an electrical/pyro malfunction that went horribly wrong. I totally fell for it, those fuckers. big_smile

RaZor

RaZor wrote:
smoke wrote:

I saw them preview Fuel during the Black tour. They also pretending to have an electrical/pyro malfunction that went horribly wrong. I totally fell for it, those fuckers. big_smile

That's awesome.

I decided to give SA a listen in prep for the new album coming out in a couple weeks.  Gettin' pumped.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Master, no doubt. Kill 'Em All a close second, then Justice and Ride. I can't listen to the Black album. Those songs are overplayed like Appetite songs. I'm so sick of them. I like the non-singles better, like Through The Never, Of Wolf And Man ...

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

I don't think I'll ever get sick of Enter Sandman. And I'm a NY Yankee fan, so I've been hearing that intro every other game for years.

Board footer