You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bloodflower
 Rep: 8 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

Bloodflower wrote:

I always liked Justice when I was younger and kinda resented the Black album for a while but as I've gotten older I really dig the Black album the best. It's easily the one I go back to most. Songs like Of Wolf and Man, Through the Never, Wherever I May roam are just kickass, the two ballads are classics and Enter Sandman must be one of the greatest pop/hard rock songs ever.  the intro to Struggle Within is one of my favourite intros ever too.

What's the best Metallica Album from the '83-'91 Era?

Kill Em All 9%
Ride The Lightning 4%
Master of Puppets 48%
...And Justice For All 13%
The Black Album 26%
Total votes: 23
metallex78
 Rep: 188 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

metallex78 wrote:
Bloodflower wrote:

the intro to Struggle Within is one of my favourite intros ever too.

I love that too. It's also possibly the best solo on the album on that track too! 3 9

metallex78
 Rep: 188 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

metallex78 wrote:

Had a good think about it, and went with Justice. It's Metallica at their most METALlica-est, if that makes sense... hahaha

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

RaZor wrote:

I'm a little surprised with the results so far. I was expecting masters to win it, but we've got the black album ahead. And it's nice to see people voting for something other than those two, since they're all really good in their own right.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

smoke wrote:

Me too- I wonder if it splits on age lines? I'm not suggesting there's any wrong opinion, so don't think that. But is there anyone voting for Black who was already well into Metallica pre-Justice I wonder?

The other albums are hard because like I said earlier, they're all so good. But end to end, I feel like Master is where they put it all together for the first time and created their Magnum Opus so to speak.

Justice is WAY better than most give it credit for, barring One (which most would recognize.) The lack of bass actually gives it a weird antiseptic/institutional creepiness to me, which is just a happy accident since they were really only being dicks when they dialed it down. smile

metallex78
 Rep: 188 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

metallex78 wrote:

Like I posted earlier, I got into Metallica via the Black album in 1992, but soon discovered their better work was before that album, so I'm kind of an old school fan. And as much as I love the Black album, I don't think its the best out of those five albums. I'd rank them - Justice, Puppets, Black, Ride, then Kill.

And yeah, the bass-less sound of Justice is kinda what gives it that extra bite. Gives it a real sterile sound too
To Live Is To Die and Dyers Eve are my favourites on that album.

metallex78
 Rep: 188 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

metallex78 wrote:

Great to hear mention of St Anger in this thread as well.

It is a strange album given that the band nearly broke up in the process of it being made, and at times it sounds like a horrible mess.

But the pissed off vitriol on most of the tracks was something I could totally relate to at the time when it came out.
Songs like Frantic and Some Kind Of Monster have a pretty cool groove as well.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

RaZor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Like I posted earlier, I got into Metallica via the Black album in 1992, but soon discovered their better work was before that album, so I'm kind of an old school fan.

I think this is how it happened for most people, the Black Album is what really got them known right?

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

RaZor wrote:
smoke wrote:

Me too- I wonder if it splits on age lines? I'm not suggesting there's any wrong opinion, so don't think that. But is there anyone voting for Black who was already well into Metallica pre-Justice I wonder?

I might be off, but maybe the Black Album is winning because this is a GNR forum. I've always though of GNR as a thrash metal band with pop metal hooks, and the black album kind of gives me that same vibe.

metallex78
 Rep: 188 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica Album '83-'91 Era

metallex78 wrote:
RaZor wrote:
smoke wrote:

Me too- I wonder if it splits on age lines? I'm not suggesting there's any wrong opinion, so don't think that. But is there anyone voting for Black who was already well into Metallica pre-Justice I wonder?

I might be off, but maybe the Black Album is winning because this is a GNR forum. I've always though of GNR as a thrash metal band with pop metal hooks, and the black album kind of gives me that same vibe.

GN'R and Metallica were the two biggest rock bands in the world in 1992. I was a GN'R fan first and it was only through GN'R's lack of activity and new music that I started to become more of a Metallica fan.

GN'R got me hooked on hard rock guitar initially, and discovering Metallica's hard rock appeal on the Black album hooked me in too.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB