You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: 2002 - Intro, Jungle & It's So Easy Videos

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Thanks again Will for adding Jungle. When you listen to Axl's voice there, when for YEARS we all shitted on 2002, he actually sounds better there than he does today. At least that band had Bucket.

*ducks flying object from ID*

I dunno man, sure he has some power there, but it still sounds very Mickey Mouse to me...

As much as I love seeing 2002 footage, Axl's voice was hit or miss. I think his voice being in that kind of range helped him pull off those high notes at times better and I don't mind the Mickey as much. Yeah...Buckethead was a power house and love seeing him play the songs and cut loose with the soloing.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Thanks again Will for adding Jungle. When you listen to Axl's voice there, when for YEARS we all shitted on 2002, he actually sounds better there than he does today. At least that band had Bucket.

*ducks flying object from ID*

It depends on the night and the song in 2002. That Boston show sounded killer. big_smile

I still don't know what happened this last tour. Once you broke out that 06 raspy voice you can't just pull back and say, "Neh, I think I'll sing really friggin high now."

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Speaking of 2006, the other day I got a haircut based on some male model picture I saw on the net, got ready, pulled my hair back, styled it up, straight-end the goatee, threw in some contacts, and then some sunglasses. Had a black western shirt, bootcut jeans and some cowboy boots.

Looked in the mirror, and went "I look like someone". Couldn't figure it out for a couple days actually, lol. Finally it dawns on me... OMG... I look like 2006 Axl. Never even picked up on it. It's been that long. The ladies certainly loved the look.

I then got to reflecting on the whole thing, when I hadn't thought of Guns in a LONG TIME, and thought... wow... what a fuckin' bad ass Axl looked like then. A real rockstar. Had he kept that voice with the rasp, high-pitch combo (a healthy balance between old GN'R songs and new GN'R songs), and then dropped Chinese and went for... I think you would see a different band today. Maybe w/ DJ still, but a whole different vibe.

The better question is, what happened between 2007-2009. He obviously gained weight (let's be honest), and although 2009-2010 the voice was awesome, he seemed to not be trying as hard. And then of course he took a major slide to his weakest vocal we've ever seen.

I think he just needs a break, and a workout. I think he tours so much his diet is poor, plus he's getting older and probably less concerned with looking good.

I wonder how much he cares, because the more I see him, the less of a feeling I get he has to ever record again.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Will, those vids look rad - thanks!

Given this is 2002, the VJ setup was quite nice. They had the imagery coming in, mostly predefined, possibly going through a sequencer to follow up on Tommy and Brain. One camera near the mixing desk doing long lens, and that exotic stage-cam. I've read about somewhere and think its design was based on the 'Bullet time' effect popularized by The Matrix. All n' all, they were quite gear-happy, as the digital revolution had barely begun at that point. Their overhead must've been something else, but props to Axl for ambition.

I believe I recognized the quirky art-house film Begotten from the intro. smile

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Gosh, I always thought his voice was better than this in 02?!   He sounds out of breath in the WTTJ vid.  Skipping words, slowing down the tempo.  I agree Bucket was great!

Board footer