You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Actor Paul Walker dies at 40

Axlin16 wrote:

Paul Walker, "Fast & Furious" Star, Dead in Fiery Car Crash at 40
by Matt McDaniel / Yahoo! Movies

e0b3c6a7-5308-4097-b922-b679c1a2f3ac_paulwalker_OBIT.jpg

Paul Walker, the edgy action hero with all-American good looks who became an international star with "The Fast & the Furious" movie franchise, has died in a fiery car collision in Southern California. He was 40 years old.

According to the statement put out by Walker's team and also posted on Facebook, the actor was "attending a charity event for his organization Reach Out Worldwide. He was a passenger in a friend's car.

"We appreciate your patience as we too are stunned and saddened beyond belief by this news," the statement continued. "Thank you for keeping his family and friends in your prayers during this very difficult time. We will do our best to keep you apprised on where to send condolences."

The identity of the second victim, a male, has not been released by authorities; but numerous reports have identified the driver as Roger Rodas, the owner of Walker's auto-racing team, Always Evolving.

“Him and his buddy, his brother in arms at heart, just decided to joyride, take a spin," Antonio Holmes, an onlooker at the event who identified himself as a friend of Walker's, told the local Santa Clarita Valley Signal newspaper. "Something we all do. We're all car enthusiasts. ... We’re all here driving, enjoying each other, and God must’ve needed help."

According to witnesses, the red Porsche carrying Walker and his friend lost control and slammed into a tree and then a light pole. Walker, an unapologetic car lover, had been participating in the "Winter Drive" for Reach Out Worldwide, a toy drive and car meet charity event for disadvantaged children. Walker was also involved in humanitarian efforts in Chile and Haiti after the devastating earthquakes in both countries.

Earlier, the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department and county coroner confirmed that two people were pronounced dead at the scene of a crash in Santa Clarita, north of Los Angeles, around 3:30 p.m. PT.

"When they arrived, deputies found the vehicle engulfed in flames. The Los Angeles County Fire Department responded, extinguished the fire and subsequently located two victims inside the vehicle," Sheriff's Deputy Kim Manatt said in a statement. "The victims were pronounced dead at the scene. The cause of the collision is under investigation."

The tall, blond-haired, blue-eyed heartthrob was a California native, hailing from the L.A. suburb of Glendale. He began appearing in TV commercials when he was just a toddler. He guest starred on shows like "Highway to Heaven" and "Charles in Charge" as a teen, and scored his first leading role in 1998's "Meet the Deedles." This lead to higher profile roles in features like "Pleasantville," "Varsity Blues," and "She's All That" in the late '90s before cementing his status as a leading man in 2001's "The Fast and the Furious."

Walker starred in all but the third installment of the "Fast & Furious" movies, including the seventh chapter which is still in production and scheduled for release next summer. He also received critical acclaim for his performances in 2006's "Running Scared" and in Clint Eastwood's WWII drama, "Flags of Our Fathers." His next film, "Hours," about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, is scheduled to open on Dec. 13.

"Fast" running mate Vin Diesel posted an image of him and Walker on Instagram with the caption: "Brother I will miss you very much. I am absolutely speechless. Heaven has gained a new Angel. Rest in Peace."

In a brief statement, Universal, the studio behind the "Fast" franchise, also mourned one of its top stars: "All of us at Universal are heartbroken. Paul was truly one of the most beloved and respected members of our studio family for 14 years, and this loss is devastating to us, to everyone involved with the 'Fast and Furious' films, and to countless fans. We send our deepest and most sincere condolences to Paul's family."

Walker is survived by his 15-year-old daughter, Meadow.

AtariLegend wrote:

Best wishes to his friends and family, especially his daughter.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Wow, just wow. My father was actually the one that broke the news to me about this and at first I thought it was a joke. Then when he said it was for real, I thought at first he had died on the set of "Fast 7" during filming to find out, it was a simple act of misadventure on a Saturday afternoon.

The guy reminded me in alot of ways of a modern-era Jan-Michael Vincent. Pretty boy, California-surfer type, that had action lead and screen charisma all over him, but never managed to have that big "Brad Pitt"-type career. He was always a B-level action type. I think had Walker lived well into older age, he might've ended up being a cult actor to a generation, similar to a Vincent or Mickey Rourke-type.

Regardless, RIP man. This guy was a real anti-Hollywood, anti-celebrity type. Charitable, and down-to-earth. A real loss.

Now it becomes even more puzzling, how "Fast 7" will be handled. The film is due for release next year, and was still in the middle of production. How Walker's character of Brian O'Connor will be written out, or finalized remains to be seen. Personally I hope they just re-structed "Fast 7" and use it as a series finale. It won't be the same without him. If you like those movies, I always thought Walker was the glue, the heart and soul of the franchise, the real reason to watch.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Dude...tragic loss. RIP. The last F&F movie only came out several months ago and it's not hitting video release. Very sad. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

johndivney wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I think had Walker lived well into older age, he might've ended up being a cult actor to a generation, similar to a Vincent or Mickey Rourke.

Lol

It's sad, tragic even but c'mon ffs. The guy was a decent spud but he made shit films & was a hack actor. It's a shame & a waste but don't be acting like its a great loss in artistic terms.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

He was amazing in Running Scared. He was no hack actor.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I think had Walker lived well into older age, he might've ended up being a cult actor to a generation, similar to a Vincent or Mickey Rourke.

Lol

It's sad, tragic even but c'mon ffs. The guy was a decent spud but he made shit films & was a hack actor. It's a shame & a waste but don't be acting like its a great loss in artistic terms.

Shit films? Wow, to each his own. Several of his films were ICONIC to my generation, good or bad. I remember being in high school, and even though I wasn't a big fan of the film, everyone quoting Varsity Blues, even though he wasn't the star. The Fast & The Furious became the benchmark for that generation, and when it dropped IT WAS MASSIVE. It's ripple was felt everywhere, even in the illegal racing scene that I was around at the time. Everything changed, and Paul Walker & Vin Diesel were a large part of that. I have no doubt that in 20 years there will be directors in Hollywood that will be making films and casting Vin Diesel, because Fast was such an influence on them, and I have no doubt Walker would've gotten the same kind of roles.

Do I think they are great actors? Not necessarily, but that's why I made the Jan-Michael Vincent & Mickey Rourke reference. I honestly don't find Vincent or Rourke to be "that great of actors". Rourke didn't have The Wrestler until he was older, and although the critics went on and on about him in 9-1/2 Weeks and Diner and all this other stuff, I didn't see anything earth-shattering. I could name same Walker films that he was at least, as good as those films, maybe not The Wrestler, but Rourke didn't get The Wrestler until later. Walker might've had a moment like that, you never know. He wasn't a bad actor per say.

I see Walker as totally a Jan-Michael Vincent of his generation. One that was known, and popular right up to that B-level cult status, but never quite a Brad Pitt. How is that inaccurate of Walker?

Now I did hear someone earlier today mention Paul Walker's name with the name "Steve McQueen". That I would agree with you. Paul Walker WAS NEVER a Steve McQueen, even if Walker could've easily passed for McQueen's kid.

Regardless, Walker was an icon of that late 90's/early 2000's generation. Girls knew him, thought he was hot, guys tried to look like Brian O'Connor, so I thought it was kind of a big deal.

There was a very short period of time from around 2001-2005 that Paul Walker was a household name, even if his resume doesn't quite show it. Everyone I knew knew him, and he was spoken of among high school/college kids right off the tongue no different than Vin Diesel or Eminem. He played most roles pretty dead pan, but pretty much so did say, Kurt Russell.

Nobody knew Russell was even an actor until Backdraft.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Nobody knew Russell was even an actor until Backdraft.

Come now, doesn't his work with Carpenter count? He demonstrated some serious chops in, for instance, the Elvis telefilm they did in '79.

On topic: RIP Paul Walker and Roger Rodas.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Come on axlin! Russel and Rourke are ten times the actors Walker was. They certainly weren't Brando's, but they oozed charisma from the moment they took the screen. Walker may have carried his own ass for the brainless action flicks he did, but that's about it too.

The guy can be praised for his personality and charitable work, not his acting. He was a pretty boy first, and never delusional enough to think otherwise (yeah I'm talking to you Brad Pitt).

Board footer