You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: DR. PEPPER ISSUES CHALLENGE TO AXL ROSE!

Aussie wrote:
Backslash wrote:
Aussie wrote:

why not use the drink Pepsi instead of Dr Pepper (it's more internationally recognised).

Easy... Dr Pepper tastes better and Axl didn't want to set his cornrows on fire.

lol - yeah apparently Pepsi was the choice of the last generation.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Just so there's no more confusion, Dr Pepper (Schweppes-Cadbury) IS NOT owned by Pepsi.  It's an unaffiliated and independent company that may be bottled and distributed by Pepsi in some areas.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

like canada

edit...hey i could swear that they used to go on sale the same time as other pepsi products and that it used say that it was a pepsi product on the cans...dunno maybe they split off from pepsi...cuz recently i've noticed Dr Pepper go on sale but not pepsi

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

So no one else is slightly concerned about Gnr possibly selling out to a soft drink company? Not exactly how I would have promoted it....:ummm:

Not trying to start the old vs new debate, but the CD era GNR does not live by the principles of the 87-91 lineup. Obviously nothing like this would have happened then, and if it had, Axl would have went ape shit and demanded a boycott of the product by his fans.

I don't have any problems with a "sell out" of this nature. Its the 21st century, and with declining album sales, album promo requires different marketing schemes. If Axl gets an interest in hitching his wagon to some huge company whether its Dr Pepper, Best Buy,etc. there's nothing wrong with it.

What I do find funny is when this kind of shit happens to Slash, people shit all over him. It happens with Axl, its regarded as manna straight from heaven.

I like the way this has been handled by Dr.Pepper and the GNR camp. Professionalism on both sides.

By the way, Diet Dr. Pepper is the nectar from the Gods.:mosh:

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
madagas wrote:

So no one else is slightly concerned about Gnr possibly selling out to a soft drink company? Not exactly how I would have promoted it....:ummm:

I would've promoted it by putting stickers on prostitutes and handing leaflets at the IRS HQ.

But seriously, you raise an interesting point. What we have here is the first of three studio albums ( all nitpickers may revisit the Axl/Trunk interview for confirmation on that ), which is already a $4.3 Million investment for the record company on an even split. Because it'll be the first ( and in the worst case scenario, only ) album to be released, it's by comparison riskier than the other two.

Since Universal controls the publishing rights for the CD sessions material, new GNR music may end up into a Dr Pepper commercial. As people here have ( correctly ) noted, Axl's a very sue-happy individual when it comes to the GNR brand. He fought ferociously against GH and Hollywood Rose, even if the former of which significantly boosted the market value of his own brand! Like hell would he let a soda company ride the name of his labor of love at this hour.

It's no secret that CD also needs a viral marketing campaign to make a decent result in the current market. Advertising's getting more n' more a vicious playground by the minute, remember those 'bodies' in a taxi trunk next to Sopranos bumper stickers? If one decides to go that route, CD needs something ridiculously big. Dr Pepper might just that.

Also, take a look to the far side of the fence. Cadbury Schweppes is in the middle of demerging. Simply put, the candy company and the soda company merged in 1969. Now they're separating. Candy company goes to London stock exchange, soda company goes New York. The timetable shows that the new company, Dr Pepper Snapple Group will be listed on May 7th. They're in a situation where they can sure use nationwide visibility like this.

If it's happening, it's not a coincidence that Dr Pepper's willingly getting involved. However, it's a real stroke of luck for Axl and Universal to have the album "ready" at this hour. If this thing doesn't keel over like the Harley ad ( which's less likely to happen since the album's done now, it seems ), nor will it turn out to be the greatest April Fool ever, things should get very interesting between now and May 7th. Can't see an album for May; might see a single and a Dr Pepper-sponsored event, maybe even a tour. Nothing new in that; remember them Miller Beer-sponsored 'secret' shows for The Cure, with Hole as the opening act?

Gretchen Wieners wrote:

What I do find funny is when this kind of shit happens to Slash, people shit all over him. It happens with Axl, its regarded as manna straight from heaven.

lol

'How many ads Slash will do this year', or whatever that thread was called on that one board -- what was it, the name kind of escapes me.

As per Fernando on HTGTH, GNR had nothing to do with the DP idea, that DP did this all on their own.

Believe it or don't believe it.   I tend to believe it.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

He earned it, madagas. BH's work was important to the sound, and audible in all the leaks and live performances. He left because he had some self-respect an wanted to make music, not easy money. To disrepsect that so blantantly, especially considering that after 4 years of being gone his work is still too important and too good to remove, is pathetic.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

As per Fernando on HTGTH, GNR had nothing to do with the DP idea, that DP did this all on their own.

I don't.  Someone somewhere had prior knowledge... Or at least, would have had prior knowledge before this officially came from Dr Pepper.  They can't just use the Guns N' Roses name to promote the product without consent.  A competent legal team would never let them do that, anyway.

And this all happens a day before we get confirmation from the band that they have new management.  Things are looking up.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

In 2001, Axl said he learned about a GNR tour on the internet.

I didn't believe him on that, I don't believe him on this.

However, I do believe that in this occasion, he's not lying in order to cover his own ass.

Backslash wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I don't.  Someone somewhere had prior knowledge... Or at least, would have had prior knowledge before this officially came from Dr Pepper.  They can't just use the Guns N' Roses name to promote the product without consent.  A competent legal team would never let them do that, anyway.

And this all happens a day before we get confirmation from the band that they have new management.  Things are looking up.

Technically it is a challenge, calling on GNR and it wasn't on their official site before Axl's statement, don't even know if it's on there now and it's not on their soda bottles so they aren't using the name.   At least not yet officially.

Board footer