You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Gn'R Live In London Sat. March 2nd VH1

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'd rather have a "touched up" live show where Axl kicks ass - sings with rasp and power and does justice to the songs - than a 100% honest warts and all version where it makes me sad that the songs don't sound "right" to me anymore

Hear hear.

Should he do overdubs, like he certainly did with Live Era, the question remains, what's the big deal? Would any of you prefer a DVD of Guns as the Mickey Mouse Club?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'd rather have a "touched up" live show where Axl kicks ass - sings with rasp and power and does justice to the songs - than a 100% honest warts and all version where it makes me sad that the songs don't sound "right" to me anymore

Hear hear.

Should he do overdubs, like he certainly did with Live Era, the question remains, what's the big deal? Would any of you prefer a DVD of Guns as the Mickey Mouse Club?

The next question will be whether we want a proper Axl performance by playback, or an erratic Mickey Mouse.

Sorry, but this is getting hilarious. They're not doing anything creative, just travelling through the world again and again with their tribute shows. Yet the frontman and owner of the name can't perform well enough to just let it go as it is? 17
Also, it's the biggest joke that Axl can't enter the studio - only when he corrects his live vocals. roll

I'm not saying he did, cause I haven't heard the performance (but would like to wink ). But if he did, then... whatever. Just another ridiculous episode of the saga.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To me there's a real difference between fixing the occasional bad note in a live performance with an overdub and full on play-back.

The live performance is supposed to be a temporary experience. And for that reason it doesn't matter in person if not everything is 100% perfect. As live you're really seeing it in context amongst the hustle and bustle of a live show.  But when you capture it and record it for eternity and you watch it in a new context - like your lounge room - those little errors in a track - where someone misses a pinch harmonic on the guitar or a wobbled note on the voice...become much more glaring...and I can see an argument for making minor touch ups if the end effect makes the dvd really enjoyable as opposed to frustrating for fans.

That said...I had another watch of some of it last night...and I'm not really seeing what you guys are seeing yet....there's some editing issues in general, but I'm not hearing his voice magically get better when there's footage of the band on screen...at least not blatantly...and he does do some songs better than others...but I think that's more about their placement in the show...and the fact that certain songs (YCBM) are a whore to sing.....

I tend to think if it was really tampered with they'd have created an even stronger performance...does GNR do subtle things? HTGTH wasn't subtle....neither was Big Daddy SCOM....neither was the whole layering effect of Chinese....I feel like if it was overdubbed the overdubbing would have been more consistent throughout - and the general effect would be much more like studio Axl..but I'll rewatch and have another look.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Where did you all get this performance?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I didn't watch the show in full, but from what i've heard, Axl sounds pretty decent for Mickey Mouse Axl. One of the biggest problems with 2011-12 Axl vocally is he's all helium with no power, short of the show I saw early on in the 2011 NA tour, where they're were more hints of rasp. By the time he got to those PPV LA/Vegas/Chicago shows, his power was gone and it was all helium. This is in opposition to 2001-02 Axl which was helium, but had TONS OF POWER in his voice. So much that he was showing off, with helium. Only issue then was he seemed to get winded easier.

This London show sounds like a throwback 2002 show in alot of ways (never thought i'd refer to the trainwreck of 2002 that way). But Axl seems to have power here, despite being Mickey, which is always a plus.

It still ain't 1987-1993, 2006-07, 2009-10... but it's better than those 2011-12 PPV's imo.

I'm Axl's biggest critic vocally, and I can honestly say if they released this on CD/DVD -- i'd buy it.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:

I think that's a fair assessment of the London show from what I've heard of the audio rip.  But, I disagree with the assessment of the 2011 LA Great Western Forum show.  I was at the show and have listened to the YouTube clips several times after, and still enjoy it quite a bit.

Ali

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Does anybody know if this is gonna be released on DVD or digitally like the planned Vegas 2012 3D show?

If not...

Does anybody know where I can get an HD copy of this show for burning/my collection? I never got to see it in full, and I saw that Estranged performance proshot on YouTube, and sweet Jesus did Axl sound great and it's easily the best Estranged performance since they brought it back. 9

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I didn't watch the show in full, but from what i've heard, Axl sounds pretty decent for Mickey Mouse Axl. One of the biggest problems with 2011-12 Axl vocally is he's all helium with no power, short of the show I saw early on in the 2011 NA tour, where they're were more hints of rasp. By the time he got to those PPV LA/Vegas/Chicago shows, his power was gone and it was all helium. This is in opposition to 2001-02 Axl which was helium, but had TONS OF POWER in his voice. So much that he was showing off, with helium. Only issue then was he seemed to get winded easier.

This London show sounds like a throwback 2002 show in alot of ways (never thought i'd refer to the trainwreck of 2002 that way). But Axl seems to have power here, despite being Mickey, which is always a plus.

It still ain't 1987-1993, 2006-07, 2009-10... but it's better than those 2011-12 PPV's imo.

I'm Axl's biggest critic vocally, and I can honestly say if they released this on CD/DVD -- i'd buy it.

I really liked the Forum show and from what I heard, this one sounded better. I would love to hear the entire concert if they could fix DJ's guitar mix. That was ridiculous.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Well, it seems the London show was released after all...

http://www.crackle.com.br/c/guns-n-rose … rt/2490975

Saw it on my Smartv menu as a suggestion yesterday... Quality is pretty neat for a streaming... Have had the 720p for a while now, but cool nonetheless to see it "officially" released.

Strange that it wasn't marketed at all.. Specially for a free service as Crackle. Team Brazil should've boosted it.

Board footer