You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Duff McKagan on tour with GNR?

apex-twin wrote:

Guess the rumors about someone seeing Duff's visa were correct (ain't that stalking?). Based on his Tweet, he's looking to do the following dates;

April 6th, 2014: Buenos Aires, Argentina @ Estadio Ferro
April 9th, 2014: Asunción, Paraguay @ Jockey Club del Paraguay
April 12th, 2014: La Paz, Bolivia @ Estadio Hernando Siles
April 15th, 2014: Recife, PE, Brazil @ Chevrolet Hall
April 17th, 2014: Fortaleza, CE, Brazil @ Centro de Eventos do Ceará

as Tommy will be doing the Mats shows in Coachella on April 11th and 18th.

Smoking Guns wrote:

If I were boys with Axl and Slash, but more so Slash and Axl wanted to hang out, I would almost have to address the Slash deal with him and get a resolution.

That may be one of Duff's intentions, for all we know. Axl's a very hair-trigger personality and surrounded by his crew wherever. I'd imagine it's hard to get a heart to heart with him, particularly if one's been in his life for less time than Beta. I bet Izzy and Duff are among the guys who can really go deep with him, and if anyone could help Ax rebuild that bridge to Slash, it'd be Duff. Other than that, Duff's probably just seeing it as a possibilty to do some big shows in a Gilby/Izzy situation, get a bag full of money and enjoy the company of his old friend. Axl wants him there, he's entitled to it, so no harm, no foul? At least, there's some honesty there as a nostalgia act.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Duff is a grown man and he can do whatever he wants. Although I agree that he's legtimizing Axl's madness by these performances.

But what's much worse, and even pathetic is that Axl is now trying to sell his shows with Duff. I know that it's been a nostalgia cash grab for years, but hey - reunite the whole band or fuck off. I'm not so sure that I'd want a reunion though until Axl can get his shit together and perform above the level of an average drunk singin' in a karaoke bar.

JimBob
 Rep: 1 

JimBob wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Duff is a grown man and he can do whatever he wants. Although I agree that he's legtimizing Axl's madness by these performances.

But what's much worse, and even pathetic is that Axl is now trying to sell his shows with Duff. I know that it's been a nostalgia cash grab for years, but hey - reunite the whole band or fuck off. I'm not so sure that I'd want a reunion though until Axl can get his shit together and perform above the level of an average drunk singin' in a karaoke bar.

Didn't he already "legtimize" them when he played with them a few years back?   

Both Axl and Duff will be making a ton of money off this, so I'm sure its a win/win for everyone involved.  Must be nice. 

I think its cool for the fans.   Of course most would want to see all the originals together, but doesn't look like that is happening in the near future, isn't this better than nothing?

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

But what's much worse, and even pathetic is that Axl is now trying to sell his shows with Duff. I know that it's been a nostalgia cash grab for years, but hey - reunite the whole band or fuck off.

I personally think (not know) this situation is more like Izzy coming back to the UYI tour. Tommy has a big Mats gig, he's taking it. Ax replaces Tommy temporarily with Duff. If that sells more tickets, that's their fortune.

JimBob

JimBob wrote:

Its not like this sort of thing hasn't happened before.  When Gilby was injured for a few shows, Izzy filled in. 

Duff is the perfect guy to fill in for Tommy.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think it is cool of Duff, but like I said, again, Axl gets away with murder.  If the old guys hold strong and say, "its us 5 or nothing," it wouldn't water down the GNR name so much and we probably have a reunion by now.  Instead he cherry picks on his schedule reducing the demand for an all ouy reunion.  Maybe nobody see what I am saying.. lol.

JimBob

JimBob wrote:

I'm pretty sure the demand will always be there, so long as these guys are all alive.     Axl is a stubborn SOB, doesn't seem willing to go all in like that even after all these years.    But at least bringing on someone like Duff or Izzy is throwing a bone to the older generation, plus the newer generation who never saw the originals.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I think it is cool of Duff, but like I said, again, Axl gets away with murder.  If the old guys hold strong and say, "its us 5 or nothing," it wouldn't water down the GNR name so much and we probably have a reunion by now.

Nope.

He'd tour with a bunch of guys who agree with him and call it Guns N' Roses.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Instead he cherry picks on his schedule reducing the demand for an all ouy reunion.  Maybe nobody see what I am saying.. lol.

They mutually held their own up to 2006, when Izzy started touring w/ Axl. Then Duff started doing it some years later. In the intervening time, Ax has said how it'd go for him.

Ax wrote:

I could see doing a song or so on the side with Izzy [Stradlin] or having him out [on tour] again. I'm not so comfortable with doing anything having more than one of the alumni. Maybe something with Duff [McKagan], but that's it.

- Billboard, 2009

I agree the whole RRHOF incident and its aftermath have made things even more awkward than before. First, there was the ambiguous Axl ('this is (the fans') victory'), then he said no. Then Izzy said no. Then the others performed. Then Izzy played with Axl and Guns. Now, Duff plays with Guns. Axl terms all the way, either Izzy or Duff, one at a time.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

i'm surprised he can even hold a bass around his neck with no spine.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

If it were 93 and we had message boards, would you all be saying this about Izzy as well?

"Well, yeah, he left because it became a circus and now here he is, playing with them... izzy man, spineless!"

Guns business' side: Instead of hiring a bass player who has to learn 20+ songs, they HIRED (there, I said it) one that knows most of them, has to learn 3 or 4 new ones (yes, he will play CD songs) and also has a history with the group.

Duff side: travel south america with family, enjoy some high profile/full of people gigs, be praised, cash in some good bucks, then, when he had enough of dealing with Axl's bullshit backstage, goes back to his normal life.

Axl side: Duff was the last to give up and judging by Duff's book and Axl's interviews, they were always on good terms but on a grey zone of discomfort in the sense of "who'll call first?". Good things they patched some scars in London.

People comparing this with Slash or "why not with Slash?": comparing apples to oranges. They haven't come to amicable terms yet and maybe never will. You get angry because it becomes more evident that a full fledged reunion will not occur (any time soon). Also, Axl has been really vocal about his problems with Slash and there are rumors that he demands a public apology and until that happens... well...

Slash: If he did have problems with Duff joining for a few songs, he did not make it public. Also, if he did, the RNRHOF occurred AFTER that and they are buddies again., on good terms, so I don't think Duff sees this as a problem and, if my instincts are to be right (given what I read about his life and modus operandis in the GNR days) he probably spoke to Slash prior to accepting the offer.

Board footer