You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: GNR to perform at Golden Gods award show/ lifetime achievement for Axl

polluxlm wrote:

Every live performance feels better in person. The volume is louder, you're surrounded by energetic people and like a party it's fun just being there. I have no doubt people are sincere when they say he did well, but a great performance is pushing it.  He hasn't had one of those since Tokyo 5 years ago.

AtariLegend wrote:

I think people are not considering the sound/production enough too. After the speech and between Axl coming on, there was 10-15 mins of people setting up the stage and talking into the mics. When they played "Welcome To The Jungle" you could barely even hear Axl's vocals during the chorus, that wasn't just vocal issues in that example.

Not saying his voice was great, but in that case and it wasn't the only one it's just as much production/mixing.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I dunno, I'm pretty harsh on Axl most of the time
But actually watching it live, even via the crappy stream, and trying to pay close attention to Axl, he seemed like he was really trying, but that was the best his voice was giving him - hit and miss
And he seemed to be in really good spirits throughout too.

I've seen other footage where that's not necessarily the case.

AtariLegend wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I dunno, I'm pretty harsh on Axl most of the time
But actually watching it live, even via the crappy stream, and trying to pay close attention to Axl, he seemed like he was really trying, but that was the best his voice was giving him - hit and miss

On "Jungle" or one of the earlier tracks he started off with rasp right at the start then went into the modern voice. He shifted in and out of it twice and seemed to be self aware on the vocals, then just stayed out of it. I think if he was giving his best, his vocals would have been going in and out the whole night instead of just on the 2nd song of the night.

I would have thought that even if it wasn't for this article http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=13161

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree that Axl seemed to really be trying his best, which is admirable and sad in a sense as well.

I think we've all kind of adjusted to helium Axl live at this point, but I really wish he would take a break and go into the studio. It would allow him the freedom to do as many takes as he needs to get the rasp right. Had Axl spent more time recording, I think we all would've been more forgiving of Axl taking extended time off for vocal surgery, recovery, re-training, whatever he needed like Steven Tyler or David Coverdale. But he's waited so long at this point, any extended break just adds more fuel to the fire.

Then again who cares? He seems to have no intention to move forward with this band beyond just being a cash grab touring act. If he has no intention of working, I really wish he'd just tell the band so when they're asked they don't have to lie, they can just say "When Axl gets ready, we'll be here. But until then, the hits are it".

Board footer