You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Matt Sorum open to Playing with Current GNR Line-up

Axlin16 wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Just pisses me off when Axl gets his cake and can eat it too.

That's how he wanted it. He holds all the cards. It sucks, but this "lack of backbone" everyone is crying about is exactly why this situation is here. No one could stand up to Axl then or now.

And I fuckin' love it. Ol' JR himself would be proud. I have very little sympathy for these guys. They SIGNED AWAY THEIR NAMESAKE!

Come ON! How can you do that? And Slash later had two different stories about it, Matt had a story then later admitted (oh wait, I don't own part of the name), and Duff agreed with Slash's story until his book came out, and in it he had an entirely different timeline.

Yet there's 'ol Axl, with the same consistent story. No matter how scum bag, scandalous, or dastardly he was in securing it, he got for a variety of reasons, all of which come back to either A) Weakness on the band members, B) drugs, C) lies, or D) a combination of all of the above.

Slash's response was "what's in a name? What's the band without the players" ... really? That's the excuse? You pussed out bro, and gave away the biggest thing you were ever apart of.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash did. Seems like he is the only one with a backbone.

Oh please, Slash was the biggest pussy of the bunch. Even IF you believe Slash's story, (let's assume we both do), he basically laid over and gave away his fucking creation, not to Axl, but to Doug fucking GOLDSTEIN.

That's how much of a pussy Slash is. He couldn't even stand up to the Harley Quinn of Axl's Joker.

Slash didn't stand up to Axl. Slash didn't say ONE FUCKING WORD (according to him) of his issues with Axl (neither did Axl).

Slash quit and ran, as did Izzy. Then suddenly grew a pair of balls in the fucking press, without ever talking to Axl.

P-U-S-S-I-E-S every fucking one of them. Even Axl sent his male secretary to deliever the news. The least Axl could've did was donned a pair of $2,000 cowboys boots and a Stetson hat, dropped 3 bricks of China White in Slash's bag on an international flight (in South America) once he was busted, visited him in jail (butt rape SA prison) and said "i'll bail you out right now, just sign on the dotted line"

That's how it's done

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin, Slash isn't perfect, but here in your post, you almost present Axl as flawless....  Axl is just like Mike Tyson in many ways, everyone is scared of him, but the other side is he has to be coddled by someone like fucking Beta.  He has no manhood in many aspects.  He relies on his maid for so much.  No women, no children, something is missing for big bad brilliant Axl.  Slash was maybe weak and vulnerable then. Like Stephanie Seymour was I guess.  Or Tommy Hilfiger.  Or Kurt Cobain.  He was a bully that too many people now try to suck up too.  I think what Axl needed most was one good ass beating.  Maybe one really good beat down would have made that fucker chill out and look at the big picture.  He wanted to be the leader of GNR.  Under his tenure post classic era, pretty much everyone left.  Couldn't keep a producer.  Couldn't keep Bucket or Robin.  Couldn't fucking lead his way out of a wet paper bag.  Yet now in 2014 we get most excited because Duff has played some shows and Axl's voice sounded much better the last 5 shows.  He has lowered our expectations so much, we get excited by cameos by the OLD GUNS.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I never once said Axl took the band in the right direction, but I bet you my left nut that if Slash had gotten the name, the band would be worse off than it is now. Slash would've had garbage like Eric Dover or whatever hack this week, fronting the band, called Guns N' Roses, recording whatever come to mind, driving down the quality of the band, when unless a Chris Cornell-type writer would've been willing to work with GN'R (or front them in replacement of Axl), to at least compare to Axl's writing style.

Axl with GN'R (and no players) = no new albums, and a destruction of the name based on the lack of work with tribute shows
Slash with GN'R (with the band and no Axl) = a Rolling Stones-level of output without 50-80% of the lyrical writing team, destroying the name into Skid Row-level obscurity

When I say -- "I'll take Axl" -- that's what's in my mind when I think it

And I will totally agree that Axl made his own bed. I don't think people left him, like Robin, Bucket, Tommy (off and on), Ron (?), Josh Freese, Brain etc. because Axl was a tyrant. Many of these people had almost GLOWING things to say about Axl, as opposed to his almost Mel Gibson-level reputation. Axl's lack of regularly working caused most of these people to walk out the door, and that I blame Axl and the label for both equally. I think Axl takes too long, and is a maladaptive perfectionist, with a severe procrastination issue. But I fully believed and said (even before Axl did), that the label forced and virtually blackmailed Axl to try and get a reunion out of him, with basically an ultimatum of "reunite, and we'll promote your album", Axl-"no", Uni-"well then we can't help you, nor will we let you out of your contract, nor will we let you go record as Axl Rose", etc.

Axl might've out foxed the band legally... but he didn't out fox the music business one damn bit. They whipped his ass. The only difference is Axl picked up his teeth and hat, and walked home never to return, rather than submit to the business like Slash.

Whatever Axl's reasons for doing that, are a mystery to this day. But pussy ain't one of them imo. I think Axl still has a good reason, and lack of talent or ability ain't one of them either.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think it is ALL ego. Pure and simple. Read the review I posted from Vancuver a few days ago. It was from 1993. I think Axl hated Slash's fame. He resented it perhaps. All that said, they could record a damn fine album over email very easily and would never have to see each other.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

And I STILL don't believe Axl hated Slash's fame.... the way you and others think.

I think Axl was proud to have Slash be the biggest and the baddest rock n' roll guitarist of all time.... Axl's way. GNR's way.

Slash would play with fucking Santa Claus if there was a check in it. Slash was obviously VERY influence by Kiss, because like Kiss wanted to be Coca-Cola, Slash wanted to be KISS-popular and had no problem doing whatever it took to get there (other than Glee).

I think Axl hated Slash playing with guys like Michael Jackson (which Axl turned around and did an interview recently citing Jackson as an influence and one of his favorite vocalists/performers)

I think Axl correlated GNR's image with HIS image of GN'R and when Slash did things that countered that... he was on Axl's shit list, and Axl resented him.

Yes it was about Ego, but not in the way you or the media depicts it. I think Axl truely had a vision, and from 1996 onward... all of it turned to shit.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Axl wanted full control. The weakness of the others is only an excuse. Axl is a control freak, always was and always will be. He managed to drive out 3 very different personalities (Slash, Duff, Izzy) from their own band. Just look at that old Axl interview, where he says that even if you bought a car with your friends, then only one guy can have the wheel. He wanted the wheel. (That's why he describes Slash and Izzy "fighting for power from the beginning", cause they both wanted influence.
But Axl was the most agressive guy, who frightened the others with his crazy antics that risked to to break their "car" and even meant danger to all of their lives. (Riots, anyone?) He got the wheel, but it was obvious from day 1, that a psychopath will not be able to guide it to the right direction, do the necessary work on the vehicle and make the others happy/content. He remained the crazy egomaniac who now handled his ex-mates as employees, so the others jumped out, he drove the car off the cliff, yet he's still crying "I won". Well, be happy with your Lambo in the demolition derby.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Axlin, love your posts man but I respectfully disagree with some of your conclusions.

In the UYI days as GNR got bigger and bigger, the consequences of Axl's tantrums and walk offs became more and more  dangerous and expensive to the band. There are several interviews where Slash, Izzy & Duff individually expressed disgust at fans being hurt and checks for hundreed of thousands having to be written for destroyed GNR backline and smashed arenas because Axl picked up his ball and left the pitch for whatever whim pissed him off on the night.

If the leader of your huge juggarnaught company (lets not bullshit ourselves here, here this is the music business) is isolated from you to such an extent that he barely talks to you, he's sourrounded by security and handlers who can effectively keep you away from him AND he's on some crazy personal trip that makes him feel entitled to cause  such mayhem; whether you like it or not you find yourself having to capitulate to keep things going. It's very hard to roll a grenade into the mix when you've got a line of paying gigs and committments made stretching out into the future; where many people are depending on you for a job, there are millions of $$$ at stake and you'll be the cause of several expensive lawsuits which will cost you personally if you're the one to pull the plug.

That said, I fully agree that those pussies should have "done a Noel Gallagher on it" and collectively downed tools and demanded independent councilling and mediation between them and Axl to get the band back to health again. The demand for the GNR name should have been rebuffed and scheduled for discussion after the UYI tour was complete.

Don't forget, all of the band members secretly felt that after the UYI tours that this was the end anyway so, when you feel the war is hopelessly lost, why cause yourself further injury and pain fighting the inevitable? They probably just wanted the last few $$$ they could make before the end was called.

I don't understand how you can say that Slash has had to "submit to the business". The guy has always just wanted to be on the stage on time, playing his ass of for his fans. He has proved that time and time again with his massive work ethic. What the fuck is wrong with that? Why does he get so much shit from obviously sane, intelligent posters like you for wanting to work hard and enjoy the mighty $$$ that it creates for him? Sure, hate the man personally if you wish but as a fan pleaser...he has few peers.

And speaking of money,  Izzy demanded big paydays to play some one offs with nu-GNR, Axl plays weddings and promotes piss beer, Duff works in journalism and finance, Matt is in retail... all members look pretty fucking addicted to the mighty green to me. But in defence of every one of them except (until recently)  Axl...they always kept their end of the bargain with the fans and got out there and delivered.

You assume that a Slash-led GNR would go down the shitter to be a low-ebb boogie woogie bar rock band and I agree with you on some levels. Snakepit II proved that point very clearly. HOWEVER, in a proper band environment like VR, Slash emerged with modern rock chops that went back to the top of the charts again. VR lasted 7 years and it wasn't Slash that the band fucked out in the end.

Finally, let's shine the light on what actually happened to GNR at the hands of his nemesis. His two decades of self pity, paranoia and sheer fucking laziness delivered a GNR that is just as disappointing as the Slash-led-GNR you imagined but for a polar opposite set of reasons to the ones a GNR-led Slash would have created. The fact is that both men had the wrong idea of what GNR was to be remembered as.

It is not a cinematic rock opera that releases deeply considered albums creaking under their own weight, and its not an adolescent rock band that sings three minute scream fests about skulls and pussy....GNR was an very original and much loved mix of the two. Even in the early days songs like "Rocket Queen" kick off with a huge rock riff and a lurid tale of drugs and slime and end with plucked chords and an earnest declaration of love and support. That's the seemingly impossible mix of sentiment and style and street sleaze that drew so many to GNR. Once both of the main men forgot that that's what the fans loved, the fucking boat sank.

Don't forget that it was Axl who said that Izzy left because he couldn't agree to him enjoying "the power rewards of my vision" (source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … icleid=42).

I challenge you to find any quote , any where form any time by any of the old members that exhibits such a dangerous belief that GNR was theirs to do with as they wished.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Great post intercourse!

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Intercourse that is one of the best posts Ive read in my 11 plus yrs of posting.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Still blown away by the Intercourse post. Wow!

Board footer