You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Tom Hardy? Not too sure about that. Especially since Mel should be more than capable of continuing the role.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Well originally Gibson was supposed to be in this movie; but from what I heard from some of the producers that worked on this project originally said he was so difficult to work with. So they just recast the part when they got the final director and a focus on what the script would be about. Looks promising. This movie has been in development hell for years.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Trailer was pretty sweet! This definitely feels like a Mad Max film with the original director to boot. Didn't know he was involved. Awesome!

AtariLegend wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

This definitely feels like a Mad Max film

Um... I think that's a bit of a stretch. From the trailer it looks like they took elements from 2 and Thunderdome and threw them together for a stylized Hollywood version.

I hope I'm wrong, since I watched the trilogy not long ago for the first time in years. It's important to remember too, the original wasn't actually as expensive as it looked. It was thrown together on a relatively small budget.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

It looks pretty damn sweet. Looking forward to this one. Wasn't excited about it til this trailer.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Needs more Mel Gibson. If this was a reboot, I could understand Hardy, but it's supposed to straight up be Mad Max 4. George Miller (name?) loves Mel, and wanted Mel in the movie, but claimed he got resistence from studio types and investors that worried it would be a flop if Gibson was the star.

WTF? With Mel Gibson's decline (for no fucking reason), the two things he had up his sleeve for a career resurrection was Mad Max 4 & Lethal Weapon 5. He got offered Lethal Weapon 5, but Lethal 1 & 2 writer Shane Black (Iron Man 3) penned the Lethal 5 script and demanded to also direct it. Glover said yes, and Gibson said no because Richard Donner was not directing out of loyalty. Gibson wouldn't do it without Donner. Next up was Mad Max 4 which has been I think in development since after Lethal Weapon 4's release in 1998. Gibson was in and out and in and out because he wanted to direct all his movies first, like The Patriot and The Passion. Then the infamous blow up. When Gibson was ready, everyone else scattered.

Still, the heart & soul of the franchise is Gibson. Hardy is a good actor and should be able to pull it off, but still... it reeks of Nightmare On Elm Street 2010 with Jackie Earle Haley as Krueger, rather than Robert Englund. Haley is a great actor too, but Englund is an icon as Freddy. Look how that turned out... modest hit, hasn't been a sequel since, WB buried it.

Could happen too with this. The sad thing is why the need to exclude Gibson. Just watched him in Expendables 3 and he stood out in an otherwise mediocre action film (like all of them) Gibson played a FANTASTIC bad guy, and was easily the best part of the film, especially his scenes with Stallone. Gibson should play JR if they ever do a big screen Dallas epic. Guys got evil villian down pat. I watched the whole movie wanting more Mel. I still don't know if audiences are willing to seperate the Mad Max character from Mel Gibson himself. He might be too iconic with the role.

AtariLegend wrote:

Seen it at a 2:PM screening here, it was very impressive. Character design wise it's very similar-ish to the 2nd/3rd film, but this looks spectacular.

Wish I'd seen this in IMAX. Ironically for a film with more action-set pieces and over-the-top sequences than both Avenger's films combined, this didn't look like it was filled with CGI. Which is testament to how good it looks.

Not a film with Oscar winning performances, but it's about as satisfying as it could possibly get.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I wanna see this. I've heard NOTHING BUT GREAT things about it.

Love the fact Miller skipped CGI and filmed it old school. Looks amazing.

Board footer