You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Slash - World on Fire Out Now

metallex78 wrote:

Wicked Stone is without a doubt, the best song on the album. And that was a killer performance!

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Chart positions for first week below - did very well. 10 in the US with 29,000 sold. For comparison purposes, AL sold 38,000 in its first week in 2012, and Slash sold 60,000 in 2014. I think the decline in sales is more indicative of industry rather than interest in Slash.

Switzerland: #1
Australia: #2
Germany: #2
Ireland: #2
Japan: #3
Finland: #3
Austria: #5
UK: #7
USA: #10

Not too bad. I also agree with it being an industry thing than a lack of interest. Wonder what the worldwide numbers were. Also, are downloads counted or just physical copies?

I've got to imagine Itunes downloads where you purchase the entire album are counted.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Ok, I'm one of the resident Slash fans of the board, and here is my review.
I think a few of you will be surprised that I'm not entirely sold on the World On Fire album.

The first half is really strong, but the second half drifts into mediocrity with boring radio rock, so much so, that I find myself skipping them because they sound so "meh" to me.
I'm also quite disappointed with some songs that start out great with awesome Slash riffing, but then soon drift into blandness once the verses kick in.

Individual track impressions:

World on Fire
Definitely grew on me after the initial few listens. It reminds me of early Ozzy era, and Myles' sleazy lyrics kinda work on this one.
Slash's riffing and soloing sound great, and Todd's bass melodies are really great too!

Shadow Life
This was another grower, and the melodies stuck in my head for a few days after first hearing it.
That riff that kicks in at the 25 second mark kinda reminds me of Welcome To The Jungle for some reason.
This is a good example of where Slash & Myles work well together.

Automatic Overdrive
Musically it sounds pretty good, but I just don't like the vocal melodies or lyrics at all.
This is the song where the signs of bland radio rock is starting appear, but then we get to...

Wicked Stone
Absolutely LOVE this one!
Another Locomotive / Standing In The Sun type track, just really great driving riffing and really great lead guitar!
And having seen the live videos of it appear in this thread, it sounds like an absolute beast when performed live. Can't get enough of this song!

30 Years to Life
Kicks off with some cool slide guitar, and drumming that recalls Paradise City, then straight into some cool dual lead guitar melody, that reminds me of VR's Just Sixteen.
Some of the lyrics are a bit hit and miss, but outside of that I really like it. Definitely one of the stronger songs on the album.

Bent to Fly
To me, this is the albums best ballad (much better than Battleground or Unholy)
Kinda like a mix of Beggars & Hangers On, Back From Cali and Alter Bridge's Rise Today.
It just seems really well put together, structure-wise, with some great passionate lyrics from Myles, and some tasteful rhythm and lead guitar from Slash.

Stone Blind
Sounds a bit like a Snakepit 2 B-side. In fact, there was a song called 99 Times that Snakepit debuted live before Ain't Life Grand came out, but never made it to the album.
Anyway, this sounds like a re-worked version of 99 Times, and its kinda like by-the-numbers Slash rock, but solid nevertheless. Really nice solo in this one too!

Too Far Gone
One of the Real to Reel riffs appears!
Starts with so much potential - that opening sounds so fucking kickass, but then we get to the verse, and it just turns so bland, with an even blander chorus.
Really disappointed about that. Such a strong riff is brought down by a rubbish song surrounding it...

Beneath the Savage Sun
Myles channels his best Layne Staley in the intro, and it sounds like classic AIC!
Like others have mentioned, probably the most metal song Slash has written.
Another album highlight, and the breakdown sounds very much like something from an Alter Bridge track.

Withered Delilah
Much like Too Far Gone, we hear another Real to Reel killer riff, and the rest of the song lets it down.
Just not feeling the verses, or chorus at all... That opening riff though - classic Slash!

Battleground
Sounds like a Libertad b-side... especially for the hype it seemed to get.
Not feeling this one much, though it has grown on me a little, and the outro reminds me of Jimi Hendrix's Hey Joe.

Dirty Girl
Go to track 8 on Ain't Life Grand, and you'll hear that Slash is heading into familiar territory, that riff sounds quite similar...!
For some reason musically this reminds me of modern day Aerosmith, and I like it instrumentally, but lyrics about a dirty girl just sound plain dumb.... not a fan!

Iris of the Storm
Meh... sounds like middle of the road radio rock. Don't like this at all...!

Avalon
See description of Iris for how I fee about this one

The Dissident
Also see description of Iris for how I fee about this one too... sounds like something you'd find at the end of a Foo Fighters album (very bland!)

Safari Inn
Finally the album picks up again after three really bland songs!
When I first heard it, I thought it was a lesser version of Watch This, but a few listens later, I'm really digging the funky, jazzy style of this one!
Just seems like an exercise for Slash to solo over, but its a nice change of pace, and I imagine Slash will be all over this when they bust it out live.

The Unholy
Another song I'm not entirely sold on, especially for an album closer.
Myles tries to come across evil in his vocal delivery, but I think he did it much better on the song Nothing Left To Fear.
Slash could've given this one a more menacing outro solo too. It just sounds too happy for the mood I imagine they were going for, and in the end it comes across kinda bland...

So overall, if the best tracks were trimmed down, or the even the bland ones worked on more, we'd have a really killer album.
On the lesser tracks, some of Slash's solos sound like Slash just noodling for the sake of noodling, and it just sounds so uninspired...
If we had an entire album of Wicked Stone and Bent To Fly quality material, we'd have a winner, but the bland tracks just bring this album down a few notches for me.

That said, the album sounds fantastic. I don't think Slash has ever sounded better sonically on a studio album than he has on World On Fire.
The band sounds great too, and the overall production and mix sounds great.

And, I'm also still looking forward to seeing Slash live on his next tour, even if its just to hear him bust out Wicked Stone!

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

Great review. Pretty much on par with my song by song and generally how I feel about the whole album.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Great review. Pretty much on par with my song by song and generally how I feel about the whole album.

Thanks, I would've written one earlier, but I've been giving the album a fair go, so I wouldn't be so harsh on it when I did eventually review it.

But I found even after a lot of listens to World On Fire, the songs I don't like I still really don't like, but the ones I do like I love!

The fucking awesome Wicked Stone almost makes up for all the crap songs... almost... 14

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

The thing is if you like Slash you're going to enjoy the album. But like all Slash albums (Snakepit and Solo I mean) they can only go so far.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Im gonna review it this weekend when I get more time.

Top 5 at the moment
1.30 years to life
2.Shadow Life
3.Wicked Stone
4 Savage Sun
5. Unholy

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Beneath The Savage Sun was a real grower, it's getting close to being my favourite on the album now.

What a fucking beast of a track!

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

I'm giving this a few spins.. I dig what I'm hearing, despite my dislike of Kennedy's whiny, nasally, generic voice. I couldn't push through on most of AL.

So far,  this seems like a FAR superior record, so it may sneak through. tongue 21

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This album kicks so much ass!!! 30 Years to Life is a GREAT rocker.

Board footer