You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Ron leaving the band after Vegas?

Smoking Guns wrote:

I agree. But Axl isn't going to bring back a Slash boy full time if he isn't cool with it. Because speculation will happen every time Slash and Duff Jam. Just the way it is. So Axl will have to be fine with that. If he is, that may mean he may tolerate Slash in the future.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, another one of these......

GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal says that he is focusing on his solo career after spending eight years playing in the Axl Rose-fronted band.

Thal, who is putting the finishing touches on his next solo album, held a press event on Friday, December 12 at The Good Room in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, New York, where he gave attendees a taste of the upcoming CD.

Speaking to Jo Schüftan of Horns Up Rocks! at the listening party, Thal stated about his future with GUNS N' ROSES (see video below): "I'm focusing on my stuff."

He added: "I'm sure it's gonna be an exciting, interesting year for everybody — for GUNS, for me, for everybody. A lot of stokes in the fire… for them, for me. We'll see what happens in 2015."

Thal went on to confirm that he will spend his most of his time nurturing his solo career, something that he has been unable to do properly while he was a member of GUNS N' ROSES. "It's what I've done my whole life, and I've tried to do both, and it's been really difficult," he explained. "There's only so much time, and you can't be in two places at once. Teleporters, no; army of clones, no. You can only be in one place at one time, and that kind of gets in the way of things, and you have to start making choices."

Ron also revealed that he underwent surgery in January to remove a cancerous tumor and that he is now cancer free.

"It was really a quick thing," he said. "I mean, it doesn't compare to people that really have it and really fought it. For me, I was lucky. It didn't spread, it didn't get worse. They cut it out and that's it. But, yeah, it happens. Shit happens."

Thal's last solo album was 2008's "Abnormal" and the guitarist recenty admitted that he missed working on his own material. He told The National: "The solo albums are everything to me and it's really what I do. To be honest, I really should have paid more attention to it, even when I was in GUNS N' ROSES. I should have been touring more and putting out more albums than I did."

He continued: "When you are on the road, you are either sleeping or playing. When you do have some free time, you need to sort of step away and recharge your batteries or you burn out. For me, when I am on tour like that, I find it very hard to get into that creative zone of recording."

Glad he's cancer free. That's awesome.... But just say it already. He's talking about GNR in the past tense.  When I was in Guns N' Roses.

Bring back Buckethead.

Sky Dog wrote:

At this point, I don't really care who Axl plays with. He generally surrounds himself with talent. As I have stated in the past, since 1998, it is just a travelling Guns n Roses cabaret act ...taylor made for Vegas. I just watched that concert last night on OnDemand. So many mixed emotions, it was hard to watch.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

As Fortus said,

"DJ and I've worked on stuff, nobody's worked on stuff with Ron, but yeah..."

Ron's involvement with Guns since the CD release has been live only. There's a definite maybe that Ax will do one of his big gestures and ask Ron to do solos to new tracks, given new tracks are incoming at all.

But it wouldn't surprise me to see the band seeing Tommy and Ron out and having Duff back in.

Sky Dog wrote:

Tommy seems content.....Ron does not. I don't see their individual situation as being similar at all. hmm

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

At this point, I don't really care who Axl plays with.

Same here. I just want to hear unreleased/new stuff, not interested in touring.  Doesn't matter whether its Buckethead or Pee Wee Herman featured on the tracks.

Sky Dog wrote:

16   yep, I am with you James. We are the Last of the Mohicans.....

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Sounds like the best move for Ron. He clearly hasn't been happy for a long time and Guns certainly won't be the creative outlet for him that he is looking for.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The fact they are going back Slash shit from 94-96 is telling.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Sounds like the best move for Ron. He clearly hasn't been happy for a long time and Guns certainly won't be the creative outlet for him that he is looking for.

Hearing his solo stuff and the changes he made to Buckets parts on CD, it ain't a big loss in that regard.

Board footer