You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Stay of Execution

apex-twin wrote:

Stay of Execution.

Good one, Axl. That's the story of your professional career.

Impress, please.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

Found this online...fan made no doubt but ok-ish imo (must be the jugs ;-)

It appeared online the same day the news broke about the trademark registration.

vp89xf.jpg

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That's pretty funny.

gavgnr

gavgnr wrote:

Part of me thinks it's just crazy enough to be an album cover!

Had a search online for the image the creator used to no avail

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I could see it gavgnr. Axl has a bunch of these in those silver brief cases he carries every where, Stay of Execution starts now! It does kinda have a feel about it but then again maybe thats just years of gnr forum craziness creeping into my brain. It is kinda cool though. Props to whoever made it.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

People intimate with the copyright law on other forums have mulled over the listing and come to the conclusion that a name of a band or a record label (or anything releasing audiovisual products) is more spot-on than an album title (as such cannot be registered for copyright).

CD was released by Uni, while Axl was repped was by his personal publishing company, Black Frog (all musicians performing on CD have their own cottage-industry publishing companies). If Stay of Execution is a label, would Axl be self-financing and controlling Guns through it with a distribution deal from Uni, or is it ran by Team Brazil for other artists, or Axl's solo career?

If Stay of Execution is a band name, is it Axl's way of circumventing the Guns deal and creating music outside the name and thus, the box? Time will tell.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The copyright is for media purposes, though. Music, website, dvd, concert. He wouldn't copyright an album title, but the things associated with an album. And I don't think Axl could just simply take all those CD songs and start a new label. UNI still has control of those. A new label would be a much different copyright.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Album-related? Certainly possible. It would prolly be the easiest way SoE would fit into the grand scheme of things, given Guns have a contract with Uni and there's an album in the can.

As it's prolly mentioned elsewhere, the application was filed on June 6th last year, on the day of the penultimate Vegas show. Whatever it is, it was brewing already at the time. We'll know within the next two months whether Axl takes steps to finish the paperwork and claim the copyright, or whether his plans surrounding it have changed.

The claim reads as

Digital media, namely, pre-recorded DVDs, downloadable audio and video recordings, and CDs featuring and promoting music; Pre-recorded CDs, video tapes, laser disks and DVDs featuring music. There's definitely an idea of releasing stuff in connection to the name.

Entertainment, namely, live performances by a musical band; Providing a website for entertainment purposes featuring videos, photos, news and music about a musical group. Touring and website are also in the cards, and they both refer to a musical band. My question is, can it be said the band is either GNR or SOE?

Axl toured 11 years on CD to the date (NYE Show 2001 - NYE Show 2012), but did he ever copyright the CD phrase to be used in merch and whatnot? Just curious, as the precedence could take us further with SOE.

gavgnr

gavgnr wrote:

Apex - great question and I couldn't find any trademark re Chinese.

Which leads us to think it's not just an album/tour/merch.

Unless...and this is me just thinking out loud...has the trademark been registered because music is to be, at least in part, released digitally?

Probably not, but thought I'd float this

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

If we exclude the label, we're still left with an album or a band called SOE.

As far as Guns go, the Uni contract, I understand, was re-negotiated in 2007-8. I recall rumblings of a four-album deal, including CD. Add Appetite for Democracy, CD2 and the remix album and Guns could become free agents.

And SOE? Maybe it's Axl's solo album / group, done on his own dime and time.

A solo record would be completely different than [CD] and probably much more instrumental.

Board footer