You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The enigmatic Beavan album ('98-00)

Axlin16 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

TWAT, IRS, THE BLUES, CD....all semi classic sounding Gnr tracks....could have all been singles imo...should have went with the big gun TWAT right off the bat. All or nothing....

I completely disagree on I.R.S. I was just thinking about CD the other day and thinking what had aged well since 2008 (or earlier) and what hadn't. Many songs are still just as good now as they were when the album was released, despite it being dated-sounding.

However some songs haven't aged well, and for me I.R.S. is that song. It's just more and more of a B-side sounding song as time has past. I liked it in 2006 when it was a live newbie, in 2008 I thought it was okay, by now I think it might be the weakest song on the album.

I don't think it's Reckless Life/Shotgun Blues/GITR-bad, but it's just the least of CD for me. I think the band's music is forgettable, and the melody is kind of grating on me. I just kind of look at the song as a waiting room song to get from Sorry to Madagascar -- great songs.

I've also said before that CD had no singles, other than Better. CD was not a lead single, it just wasn't THAT catchy and was more of an album cut. Better was the big attention grabber. TWAT was the best track on the album, and the big ballad and could've been the ballad single, and had the album caught any fire, they could've followed it up with Sorry, then This I Love. If a 5th single was possible, it should've been Madagascar.

I'm not saying these are the best songs in order, but these were the only songs that were marketable in 2008. TWAT as a single was probably never going to happen, but despite it's classic GN'R nearly 7-minute epic ballad UYI-style, the reality is radio in 2008 (and now more) does not play songs of that length on mainstream rock. Those days are done. Even Sorry and This I Love would've had to be somewhat remixed for a radio single edit, tightened up so to speak.

CD was weak as a single, even on the rock charts, espeically as a first single (Shackler's Revenge would've been better, i'm not kidding you), Street of Dreams was DOA, and I.R.S. would've been the same.

The whole thing was handled terribly. Even for 2008.

Board footer