You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Re: DJ has left GNR

Gong wrote:
misterID wrote:

Insiders are saying this will have zero effect on the next album's release which still looks like it's still on. Jim at MSL's site said DJ was leaving ten days ago. And this was expected.

Wait a second.
Your insider is Jim at MSL's site?
Excuse me while I :rofl-lol:

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I always figured DJ would be the last one to step off the GNR ship or would probably need to be pushed off the plank.

If he's out now and by the sounds of it, it's for good.... anything is possible I guess.

My understanding was that once the last tour was over they all finished up.  But I guess that would be usual since they are probably contracted for the tour cycle so when it ends so does the pay day.  They usually then hang around doing their side things until the next tour cycle happens and they get a new contract.  Obviously it's even better if they could be a part of some new music being recorded and released.  But with Ashba's announcement it seems even the touring party is over for those guys.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Was never a fan of the guy at all. The very definition of derivative. GN'R deserves better.

Only hope now i can see is a reunion - that would be a big deal and a big pay check and the only way to bring Gn'r back to any sembelance of relevancy - something they haven't had for a very long time now. James is right - those pipe-dreaming about a 2001 lineup reunion are in a worrying state of delusion - the rationally functioning world doesn't give 2 hoots about that lineup and that kind of 'reunion' would be met with deafening indifference.

Last chance saloon for the reunion methinks while they (mainly Axl) could still physically pull it off to some degree.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Sadly I think Axl and his voice would be the weakest link in any reunion.

Of course I am assuming a reunion with Sorum on drums.  If Adler was involved then he would clearly be the weakest link by a long shot.  haha

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

agreed - axl would indeed be the weak link. you'd hope he would take it seriously, slim down, tone up and get himself in fighting shape for it. The extra pounds he's been lugging around the last 10 odd years can't have helped his singing any. But you'd of thought he might have attempted that already. Slash, Duff, Matt (Izzy?) would be up to speed and not miss a trick - seasoned pros - i've no doubt. Although none of them have written anything remotely as interesting as what they did in the Guns era, their chops are as tight as ever.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:

Why can DJ write this letter confirming he's moving on, but Ron can't?

. dj

Double standard. DJ is too popular & mainstream to pull that bullshit with. Has tons of fans and he's always kept them informed. Since he's releasing albums with Sixx  no use in playing this fantasy land game with GNR anymore.

I NEVER liked this guy but I don't blame him at all for leaving. People that want productive careers cant stay in the band indefinitely. Its only an ideal situation for musicians that dont care about releasing music and just want a paycheck. I'm shocked Stinson stayed around so long.

Bingo, at some point as creative artists you acutually want to release material.  I'm shocked Stinson stayed around too since he didn't particularly care for classic Guns material. 

Reunion or bust for Axl at this point.

Oh yeah, there is almost zero chance of Robin coming back.  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere if he left NIN again he probably couldn't return there ever.  Buckethead is a non starter since he's even less likely to rejoin Axl than Slash would be.

jimmythegent wrote:

agreed - axl would indeed be the weak link. you'd hope he would take it seriously, slim down, tone up and get himself in fighting shape for it. The extra pounds he's been lugging around the last 10 odd years can't have helped his singing any. But you'd of thought he might have attempted that already. Slash, Duff, Matt (Izzy?) would be up to speed and not miss a trick - seasoned pros - i've no doubt. Although none of them have written anything remotely as interesting as what they did in the Guns era, their chops are as tight as ever.

Yeah, I listened to a couple of recent tour videos (2014) on youtube lately and the "mickey mouse" vocals were in full effect.  He either needs to change the way he sings or just get into shape.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
DJ wrote:

But the most beautiful surprise of all was YOU... the fans. You welcomed me into your lives with open arms and showed me love and support that I could only have dreamed of.

You were so accepting.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Cramer wrote:
faldor wrote:

Why can DJ write this letter confirming he's moving on, but Ron can't? Possible he signed a NDA?

Perhaps Ron was fired, or there was some sort of mutual "letting go", which required agreements.

11798013_10153077458428602_202614336_n_zpsq1qkmhd6.jpg

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Gong wrote:
misterID wrote:

Insiders are saying this will have zero effect on the next album's release which still looks like it's still on. Jim at MSL's site said DJ was leaving ten days ago. And this was expected.

Wait a second.
Your insider is Jim at MSL's site?
Excuse me while I :rofl-lol:

He knows what he's talking about. So are the others. Like him or not, Jim knows his shit. He knew DJ quit ten days before he announced it.

And there would be no reunion with Matt, Gilby, Steven, etc. It would most likely be a hybrid. You'll see a 2002 li e up reunion before you saw any pre CD line up reunion.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Cramer wrote:
faldor wrote:

Why can DJ write this letter confirming he's moving on, but Ron can't? Possible he signed a NDA?

Perhaps Ron was fired, or there was some sort of mutual "letting go", which required agreements.

I wouldn't be surprised if his situation is different because they have a lower tolerance in regards to Ron. There was stuff behind the scenes as well as his public whining. I'm glad he's gone. Solo music sucked. It should have been a big indication as to why he couldn't get anyone to work on his music with him.

Board footer