You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: DJ has left GNR

apex-twin wrote:

Put Duff on rhythm and Fortus on lead, and you have a touring band that can handle the back catalogue.

The CD songs could be done by arranging them to two guitars.

Now, if Fortus leaves, it's reunion or bust.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The hangers on are now drooling over Slash? That's a game changer. I need concrete proof to start believing in a second album. That sooper sekrit stuff doesn't float my boat anymore.

Does look like something is on the verge of happening. IMOits more likely on the reunion front, not CD related. For many years even the so called nutswingers were willing to admit that if CD era members started to flee the scene of the crime, reunion might be on the horizon.

Faldor, even you want a reunion now? Wow. Are most now wiling to admit this new GNR concept just didn't work out & now want it over with?

I've always wanted a reunion, I just never saw it as a remote possibility. I never got to see the original group, or UYI lineup, so I'd love the opportunity. I did get to see the HOF performance in Cleveland with Myles. I thoroughly enjoyed that, but obviously something was missing. I'm not real picky. I'll take GNR anyway I can get them. I loved CD, so I supported moving forward in that direction. Obviously though, it's been a very difficult road to travel.

But a reunion has always been at the top of my list, as long as it's done for the right reasons. In other words, as long as Axl and Slash somewhat smooth things over. I certainly don't expect them to be best friends, but I'd like them to at least be able to look like they can tolerate each other. I remember watching VR reunite with Scott to play that benefit show years ago and I thought the tension was quite clear. Slash looked like he really didn't want to be there, or at least not with Scott. It looked like he was just going through the motions. If that was how a GNR reunion would look, I'm not sure I'd sign up for that. Well, I would. But my enjoyment wouldn't be quite as high.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Faldor, never knew you wanted a reunion. News to me.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Put Duff on rhythm and Fortus on lead, and you have a touring band that can handle the back catalogue.

The CD songs could be done by arranging them to two guitars.

Now, if Fortus leaves, it's reunion or bust.

Couple things:

1. If you're Duff, would you be ok with not playing the basslines that you wrote? I get if he wants to do rhythm with AIC like he's done in the past, but not with GnR.

2. Not a snowball's chance in hell they play CD songs if they reunite. Axl barely plays them in the first place. I mean, maybe a stripped down TIL with just Fortus on guitar. Slash would maybe consider it, but only if Axl sang some of his shit, and we know that Axl's not about to bust out Fall to Pieces or Back to Cali.

3. The more I think about it, the more I think Frank is the most likely drummer at this point. I honestly don't think they'd even want to make a choice between Adler and Matt (which would most likely be Matt) so just stick with Frank.

Bottom line - the only thing the public would care about is that Axl singing (however poorly that may be) and Slash is playing guitar on the classic songs they know. Maybe some people on Blabbermouth comments section would cry foul without Duff, Izzy, or Popcorn, but GNR with Axl and Slash with 3-4 other generics would sell out arenas in a heartbeat.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The hangers on are now drooling over Slash? That's a game changer.

Are most now wiling to admit this new GNR concept just didn't work out & now want it over with?

Patrón,

The New GnR (as in, post-96) never worked properly for one reason, Axl Rose. He was simply too insecure with the combined stature of Guns and the working environment the old band treated him with. With his personality and work habits, not to mention the awkward personal clock, he struck out in the only sort of band in the world that would have him. Him, a manic-depressive loudmouth with nothing much to show for himself as a songwriter, aside the songs like Back Off Bitch he did in Indiana, with the one guy in Lafayette who happened to tolerate his BS.

So, take that sleazy rock n' roll machine that is Slash, with Duff and Adler and throw Izzy, the Hoosier comrade, into the mix. That's an insanely good band for what they are. Sure, all have issues, and they were only fucked up enough to stick with a fucked up frontman - this window of opportunity created the lightning in the bottle. Guns could've just as well been a latter-day Hanoi Rocks, stripped from greatness at the verge of a breakthrough.

Axl's fortunes include the fact that the band is autonomous. They just jam, write stuff and send it over. 'Pick stuff, do those notes, play us records you like, write lyrics, shut up and sing.' They're doing it with low-maintenance on the reclusive frontmans part, so he can settle to be himself, listening to a ton of music and work on questions of personal identity. Axl's a pretty self-absorbed guy, or rather, preoccupied with the rollercoaster of being Axl. It's easy to ridicule him for that, but imagine actually being him for a day. For instance, the day of Montreal '92, or Rock in Rio '11.

One day, his entire band was been altered into That One Guy from Indiana, along with That Additional Musician. Axl wants to make an album with them, but everybody else wants them  to sound like That Sleazy Rock N' Roll Machine. Axl uses guile - 'dive in and find the monkey'. I quote, the infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare. Record long enough and you'll come up with Axl's Vision for the next album that will sound like the logical progression from UYI.

So, That Guy now had millions of dollars and all the time in the world for his troubles. It's funny to think how people complained about the wait, in a sense. You have a person who may or may not be in the city on the day of the show. He may not show up for the first three hours. He may not show up at all. You never knew until he did. A decade later, it was still all too real. He missed the opening show of his US comeback tour. He sat out another, likely fuming at ClearChannel and their 'ridiculous demands'.

That Guy is the boss of all and you wonder if it blows up?

But how I see it as Slash can come back to Guns and if they should record and release something, it would be the Axl idea of progression, which Slash would serve to execute in terms of songwriting. If it would be the way to releases, I'd go for it.

As for DJ...

I didn’t join Guns N’ Roses just to come in as ‘a guitar player’... This is the first real gig I took on outside of doing my own thing because I felt I really could bring something to the table not as a guitar player, but as a songwriter and producer. That’s what gets me excited about being in the band... that’s the number one priority for everybody at this point. - 2012

He contributed the equivalent of guitar riffs like Slash used to. Axl may use them, eventually. More likely, if DJ keeps in his good graces. That means writing credits and royalties. Elsewhere in the news, his other band is picking up. In Guns camp, this is Robin going out to tour with Trent all over again. There's certainly many enough people willing to step into his shoes.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Robin or Bucket coming back to tour or whatever, is far more likely than Slash coming back as a full time member in the near future. I think its very clear Axl is very attached to Robin's playing. When Robin came back to play Better Axl was visibly taken by it and really showed some emotion that I didn't see even when he played with Izzy again. I have no idea how that relationship stands, but I hope its good enough for him to come back so they could at least finish what they started, and do whatever with Slash after. According to MSL they already had a replacement for Ron lined up that didn't work out (it was a girl) recently, so they're already preparing to move forward.

Sky Dog wrote:

meh....I am not crying over a little spilt makeup and eyeliner...good riddance I say.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

meh....I am not crying over a little spilt makeup and eyeliner...good riddance I say.

Haha and thread. 16

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Don't want to see an Orianthi type playing in GNR. She is cool, but not GNR style.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Haha, you really should have your karma turned on for comments like that!

Board footer