You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: DJ has left GNR

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Robin or Bucket coming back to tour or whatever, is far more likely than Slash coming back as a full time member in the near future.

Yeah I can imagine that would be an easy sell to those guys...

Axl: Hey, I lost a couple guitarists again. You guys think you could come back? Yeah I'll probably release all that stuff in the future. Would you mind adding some finishing touches to those songs you finished 14 years ago?

Please. They aren't coming back. I understand your desire for them to come back but lets be realistic.

it was a girl

I said many years ago he should have brought in Justine Frischmann during that 03-05 dead period or when Finck bailed in 08.  She could certainly bring a lot more to the table than Fortus ever could. But when you realize that no matter who comes in it doesn't change anything, why bother bringing anyone in? All that's essentially required is that you can play AFD on a regular basis. That doesn't require searching for talented musicians and/or someone who brings something unique to the table. The novelty of adding a woman(no matter how talented she is or isn't) to the band would be wasted.

Maybe nesquick was right all along. Just keep Fortus and bring in some random guy to strum along with him. I strongly disagreed with him but that was when I thought Axl might swing for the fences with his CD material. I no longer believe that obviously.

As for DJ...

I didn’t join Guns N’ Roses just to come in as ‘a guitar player’... This is the first real gig I took on outside of doing my own thing because I felt I really could bring something to the table not as a guitar player, but as a songwriter and producer. That’s what gets me excited about being in the band... that’s the number one priority for everybody at this point.

Every guy who joins says something like this, going back to Gilby. I understand the excitement joining GNR but do these guys do any research or do they just blindly join the circus?

How long does it take for them to see the pattern of creating/releasing music being the number one priority to endless years of nothing new? He was in the band six years, Ron nine.

In Ron's case, in 2006 it did look like the train was leaving the station. He gets a free pass I suppose in taking several years to see the light. In DJ's case, he should have known going in that he was there for touring purposes only.  Deep down he probably did know. He just used the situation to help promote his own thing.

At this point, how would bringing in a new guitarist change the situation?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

Robin or Bucket coming back to tour or whatever, is far more likely than Slash coming back as a full time member in the near future.

Yeah I can imagine that would be an easy sell to those guys...

Axl: Hey, I lost a couple guitarists again. You guys think you could come back? Yeah I'll probably release all that stuff in the future. Would you mind adding some finishing touches to those songs you finished 14 years ago?

Please. They aren't coming back. I understand your desire for them to come back but lets be realistic.

it was a girl

I said many years ago he should have brought in Justine Frischmann during that 03-05 dead period or when Finck bailed in 08.  She could certainly bring a lot more to the table than Fortus ever could. But when you realize that no matter who comes in it doesn't change anything, why bother bringing anyone in? All that's essentially required is that you can play AFD on a regular basis. That doesn't require searching for talented musicians and/or someone who brings something unique to the table. The novelty of adding a woman(no matter how talented she is or isn't) to the band would be wasted.

Maybe nesquick was right all along. Just keep Fortus and bring in some random guy to strum along with him. I strongly disagreed with him but that was when I thought Axl might swing for the fences with his CD material. I no longer believe that obviously.

As for DJ...

I didn’t join Guns N’ Roses just to come in as ‘a guitar player’... This is the first real gig I took on outside of doing my own thing because I felt I really could bring something to the table not as a guitar player, but as a songwriter and producer. That’s what gets me excited about being in the band... that’s the number one priority for everybody at this point.

Every guy who joins says something like this, going back to Gilby. I understand the excitement joining GNR but do these guys do any research or do they just blindly join the circus?

How long does it take for them to see the pattern of creating/releasing music being the number one priority to endless years of nothing new? He was in the band six years, Ron nine.

In Ron's case, in 2006 it did look like the train was leaving the station. He gets a free pass I suppose in taking several years to see the light. In DJ's case, he should have known going in that he was there for touring purposes only.  Deep down he probably did know. He just used the situation to help promote his own thing.

At this point, how would bringing in a new guitarist change the situation?

Thats not what i said. I said there's a better chance of Robin and Bucket coming back than Slash becoming a full time member anytime soon, not that they were, just showing the odds against Slash rejoining soon.

Bringing a new guitarist won't change anything, its going to go how it goes. DJ had a choice. Syxx Am or GNR for 2016. He would get to produce and record his generic, mediocre and shitty music with Syxx. He wouldn't with GNR.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Faldor, never knew you wanted a reunion. News to me.

If it's being offered, I'll take it.

I just never thought it was realistic, so I didn't bother getting my hopes up. I still think it's unlikely, but things seem to be inching a little closer.  And at this point plugging in two more guitarists would make an already ridiculous situation even more ridiculous. I'd take it, but I'd rather not get invested in 2 new guys. Would much rather have some alumni step back into the spotlight.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fair enough Faldor. Would kick ass for this forum to all be on the same page for once. This place would be so alive, it would be great !!

johndivney wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

meh....I am not crying over a little spilt makeup and eyeliner...good riddance I say.

This.

Fwiw re: Tommy & The Replacements
They've split up again. Westerberg made a song & dance about it (apparently John freese & Tommy had stopped showing up for sound checks ha ha!) & pulled the plug. Just saying, Tommy doesn't have the mats going on any more.

Also - Elastica! That's one of funniest things I've read in a while. Tho I kinda wish I hadn't been reminded of them. Terrible, talentless band.
If you want a British guitarist go get James dean bradfield, but he wouldn't put up w/any of the shit even if msp used to be big gnr fans (& covered it's so easy I think).

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Also - Elastica! That's one of funniest things I've read in a while. Tho I kinda wish I hadn't been reminded of them. Terrible, talentless band.

I'm getting too old and jaded to be defending Justine at this point but I'll say this....

The only current member of GNR to have anything better than Elastica's debut album on their resume is Axl.

Justine is like the female equivalent of Axl, just on a smaller scale. The Menace was her Chinese Democracy but instead of creating another bullshit lineup she just said fuck it and walked away.

How about Liz Phair? 18

AtariLegend wrote:

For what it's worth, Frank done an interview http://www.stonechromeradio.com/uploads … x_7_29.mp3 basically in between the hosts asking him pointless silly questions and talking more than Frank... the gist is:

Frank says Axl and him texted about DJ. Axl and said that plans will still go forward in the future. Supposedly everyone still gets along and Axl is fine with Ashba leaving.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Maybe Axl will straight up retire. I wouldn't mind seeing that. Then maybe the constant bashing would stop and people would realize just how great he was in his prime. I couldn't give a fuck about how lousy his work has been lately. None of us would be on forums like this if it wasn't for his efforts back in the 80's and early 90's. People seem to forget that too quickly and then focus way too much on the bad times lately.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

If he officially hung up his mic I would be ok with that I think, provided that was the green light to unload every bit of shit he has lying around from songs, vids/live shows from all eras.

That said. I never saw the original version of Guns (AFD or UYI eras) so would still love to see that b4 Axl quits for good or someone checks out.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Aussie wrote:

If he officially hung up his mic I would be ok with that I think, provided that was the green light to unload every bit of shit he has lying around from songs, vids/live shows from all eras.

That said. I never saw the original version of Guns (AFD or UYI eras) so would still love to see that b4 Axl quits for good or someone checks out.

Considering Axl himself is a shell of what he was in the 1980's and early 1990's, why would you want to see that?

Board footer