You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Slash and Axl friends again?

apex-twin wrote:

It's funny. I recall from Duff's book that he started dating Susan Holmes around the time Slash left Guns, and they found out she was pregnant during the holiday season in late '96. Obviously, this meant a major priority shift in Duff's life and certainly contributed to his decision to leave Guns in the fall of '97, mere weeks prior to their firstborn showing up. Without it, Duff might have soldiered on with CD a bit further - and who knows how things would've turned out? He's likely happier this way, but it's interesting to look back and note the different factors that finally weighted in and broke the old band, one member at a time.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

None of this is coincidence.

Agreed. None of this kinda shit happened before. It's like the dominoes are falling.

Used to say a reunion wasn't happening til the cows came home. Well boys and girls, I see cows in the distance & it looks like they"re headed this way.

Apex: wasnt the last thing GNR did in the Duff era when they rented that arena to rehearse and/or fuck around on new music? What a weird lineup that was, however brief.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

The best of this is, if true, will be watching the reaction of the *cough* ..."Fans" ... who tried desperately to turn the entire world against Slash hahahahahaaaa!!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Really, I think we'll see them together again in some form, but not anytime soon. There could be a cool lead up to a show. Apparently, they spoke last year.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Apex: wasnt the last thing GNR did in the Duff era when they rented that arena to rehearse and/or fuck around on new music? What a weird lineup that was, however brief.

Actually,

From 1994 to early 1998, various lineups of Guns N' Roses rehearsed at The Complex, a Los Angeles studio, in a 60'x40'x22' space complete with pool table, pinball machine, and, later, exercise equipment. According to David DeVore, the studio's general manager, they worked there every weekday from about 9 P.M. to 7A.M. When Rose decided they were ready to start recording, longtime producer Mike Clink moved them to a secure studio in the San Fernando Valley. - Spin, '99

The lineup was quite something. Duff, Paul Huge, Robin and Dizzy, with drummers ranging from Matt to Chris Vrenna (NIN) and Dave Abbrusezze (Pearl Jam); the latter two even played percussions together. Maybe one day some brave soul will dive into those tapes and produce choice cuts.

BTW; That secure studio, I think, was Rumbo Recorders. You know what other album was recorded there? AFD. What did the new band do the first thing they got in there? Re-record AFD - in the same bloody rooms. Talk about moving on. hmm

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Good info Apex. I can't wait to see Slash and Axl again!

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

BTW; That secure studio, I think, was Rumbo Recorders. You know what other album was recorded there? AFD. What did the new band do the first thing they got in there? Re-record AFD - in the same bloody rooms. Talk about moving on. hmm

Izzys recorded a few solo albums there too, including 117 Degrees which was released March 1998 and recorded between 95-96 if my memories correct. Maybe he was there during the day then Axl came in to record at night 16 The liner notes actually say 117 was recorded at Rumbo Recorders and The Complex Caribbeans Sounds. Is that the same Complex?

He talked about the Rumbo studio in his Tunecore interview years ago. Said it cost $800 per day for Guns to record Appetite there, which was a huge amount back then, and it had cost him the same amount years later recording solo stuff cool

On topic: I'm not sure what to believe. If Axl does decide to move forward with a new album and tour I certainly wouldn't like to be the guy who isn't Slash. People have their hopes up now thanks to a single sentence from Slashs mouth hmm

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Did Slash alone make GNR relevant again with a once sentence quote?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

apex-twin wrote:

That re-recorded version of Appetite's always been the holy grail for me. It's so frustrating that so much material is sitting in a vault somewhere, unheard. To think that we missed out on years of live albums and DVDs because of the antagonism between Slash and Axl, and now that there's the possibility of the original band reuniting, all the Chinese Democracy-era stuff could potentially be buried forever.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

The lineup was quite something.

That's an understatement. 14

Was that 99 CITR demo ever properly dated?

apex-twin wrote:

Duff, Paul Huge, Robin and Dizzy, with drummers ranging from Matt to Chris Vrenna (NIN) and Dave Abbrusezze (Pearl Jam); the latter two even played percussions together.

I had forgot about Abbrusezze.

Funny that Axl had two members of NIN back then and in 2008 Trent had two members of GNR.

elevendayempire wrote:

That re-recorded version of Appetite's always been the holy grail for me.

Wow. You're not alone though. It rarely gets mentioned anymore but hard cores were really dying to hear this about 10 years ago. Since Bucket wasn't even in the band when it was recorded I don't really care about it. IMO the only interesting thing about the AFD rehash era was Bucket's take on some of it, mainly NT. Might be cool to hear how Axl sings on an updated version of AFD I suppose, but we already heard some of it to a degree on Live Era and that SCOM snippet on Big Daddy.

My holy grail of the post 91 era is the 2001 version of Chinese Democracy. Whether they liked it or not I hope those who got to hear it back then realize how lucky they are.  bucket

elevendayempire wrote:

now that there's the possibility of the original band reuniting, all the Chinese Democracy-era stuff could potentially be buried forever.

This is my only shred of resistance to a reunion. I want to hear that second album they recorded. You're right....once a reunion is announced we can say goodbye to CD II. I seriously hope there is actual movement by Axl to get this out there. Reunion or no reunion its time to nail the coffin shut on Chinese Democracy and that final nail needs to be that second album.

I have a feeling the old GNR vault is going to be on store shelves in the near future.

Board footer