You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: RUMOR: GN'R Reunion @ Soundwave

metallex78 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Wish I had that circus mag from July 91 that shows that massive UYI tracklist including 5 or  6 tracks that wound up on TSI. I only remember DOTF, attitude, & IDCAY. there were a couple others I'm sure.

Apex??

I remember reading an article in the lead up to TSI, that two songs recorded that didn't make the cut were Beer N' A Cigarette (Hanoi Rocks) as well as Down On The Streets (The Stooges). And I'm guessing if they're hidden in a vault somewhere, they still have Izzy's playing on them.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I remember reading an article in the lead up to TSI, that two songs recorded that didn't make the cut were Beer N' A Cigarette (Hanoi Rocks) as well as Down On The Streets (The Stooges). And I'm guessing if they're hidden in a vault somewhere, they still have Izzy's playing on them.

Thanks for posting that.

They picked such a strange selection of covers for that album. I know they were into all that 70s punk but the selection is odd. Then of course the mind fuck of including Since I Don't Have You. Still cant believe that was its single/video.

I definitely want to hear those two tracks.

Said it at the time and I'll say it now....the Nazareth song they should have covered is Shot Me Down.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, and if they were gonna go in different directions other than just punk, they should've recorded all the other covers they'd played over the years - Jumping Jack Flash, Heartbreak Hotel, and the stuff they jammed on during the UYI tour - Bad Time, Sail Away Sweet Sister, Wild Horses and Only Women Bleed.

That would've only added to the quality of the albums song selection, and I'm a fan of TSI as it is.

James

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, and if they were gonna go in different directions other than just punk, they should've recorded all the other covers they'd played over the years - Jumping Jack Flash, Heartbreak Hotel, and the stuff they jammed on during the UYI tour - Bad Time, Sail Away Sweet Sister, Wild Horses and Only Women Bleed.

That would've only added to the quality of the albums song selection, and I'm a fan of TSI as it is.

I'm not a huge fan of it but it does have a handful of great tracks.  Was listening to it tonight. I never listen to old GNR but they've been on my mind a bit recently. 16   So I put on TSI and turned it up LOUD.

The album just sounds great.  Buick Makane is such a jam. Slash should have been on lead vocals on more than just this song in their discography. Such a shame. sad  Human Being is a monster track. I wish they had worked on original material during those sessions. Listening to Black Leather right now. 9

Good point on their 80s covers.  Whole Lotta Rosie really should have been on TSI.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The album just sounds great.

This, this, a thousand times this! After the bloated production of the UYIs, TSI is an incredibly "raw but polished" sounding record with some massive guitar tones.

James

James wrote:

Since we're discussing TSI at the moment...

The label really fucked things up with the roll out of this album. Rock stations were playing Aint It Fun and Hair of the Dog like they were singles. They were in heavy rotation. Then Since I Don't Have You hits Top 40 radio stations for like a week. Rock stations abandon album.

WEIRD.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Wasn't there a song supposedly called Nightcrawler from the AFD era, to my knowlege that's never even popped up in demo form?

Karma for bringing that up. I had completely forgot that track. During the UYI hype that track was mentioned several times but once 91 came it dropped off the radar completely. Entered mythical track status after that.

An instrumental surfaced in 2006 but was shit quality. Unfortunately I do not have it on my computer or I would post it. That happened like 3 computers ago. 16 It might be on an old disc buried somewhere but I doubt it. I thought it sucked and I highly doubt I put it on a cd-r.

From the Nightcrawler thread.

AtariLegend wrote:

recklessroad, on 24 Aug 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

'axlweave', on 23 Aug 2012 - 7:29 PM, said:
Mark, before the illusion albums came out, Slash said in an interview the name of a few songs, perfect crime, back off bitch, and nightcrawler, what happened to nightcrawler, is the low quality demos of it real, thanks

nightcrawler ended up on the second Snakepit record but with a new name speed parade

James

James wrote:

I'd like to hear that demo for comparison purposes. That Snakepit music ok but he should have picked a different singer.

AtariLegend wrote:

Just for the sake of posting it. This is the track people claimed for years was Nightcraler with the vocals buried, way, way down that was obviously contradicted by Canter.

James

James wrote:

My God that's horrible. No wonder I threw it away. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I remember when everyone was shitting bricks that we were finally gonna get to hear it.

Board footer