You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Slash and Axl friends again?

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Of all the Chinese Democracy songs, the one that'd most likely make the cut in a reunion band would be This I Love. It's popular with audiences, it dates back to the UYI era, it's a classically-styled ballad, so it's in Slash's wheelhouse, and all it would require is a different solo. And Axl's proved that he isn't too precious about the TIL solo, since Ashba reworked it.

When we finally heard the track I think all fans(excluding hardcore Finck fans) agreed that it needed Slash to take it to new heights. That solo is an abomination. I think the song is cheesy as hell and channeling Barry Manilow(who I like) but that solo just kills the song regardless.

edit: Would also have loved to see what type of solo Bucket would have contributed to the track.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Of all the Chinese Democracy songs, the one that'd most likely make the cut in a reunion band would be This I Love. It's popular with audiences, it dates back to the UYI era, it's a classically-styled ballad, so it's in Slash's wheelhouse, and all it would require is a different solo. And Axl's proved that he isn't too precious about the TIL solo, since Ashba reworked it.

When we finally heard the track I think all fans(excluding hardcore Finck fans) agreed that it needed Slash to take it to new heights. That solo is an abomination. I think the song is cheesy as hell and channeling Barry Manilow(who I like) but that solo just kills the song regardless.

edit: Would also have loved to see what type of solo Bucket would have contributed to the track.

All this reunion news, and the 01-2 thread prompted me to listen to This I Love again for the first time in years (And actually login instead of lurking). I recalled really liking that song but now all I hear is a song that is really fucking boring. That solo is a sleeping pill in hindsight. And on further re-listening of CD ,I think "boring" is a good word to describe about 1/3-1/2 of that album, unfortunately.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm not a hardcore Fink fan and I think the solo is great. I'm really curious what the track sounded like in 1998 when it could have been on the "What Dreams May Come" soundtrack. I do genuinely believe it's Fink's highlight musically on the album.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good to see you again Axl S.  Love seeing some of you old timers again.

Axl S-- most unfortunate thing about CD is we got it in drips. Hardcore fans were sick of the album before it was even released. Would have LOVED to get the whole album in one shot regardless of what year its release would have been.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I don't like til and think the solo is the best part of it.. To each it's own...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, really love Finck's solo on til. I remember reading that Finck and Caram enlisted Tommy to help push Axl to release it, as I think he was reluctant about putting it out. Pretty sure it was one of those "Axl ballads" Slash didn't want to work on. I think it was perfect for Robin.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yeah, really love Finck's solo on til. I remember reading that Finck and Caram enlisted Tommy to help push Axl to release it, as I think he was reluctant about putting it out. Pretty sure it was one of those "Axl ballads" Slash didn't want to work on. I think it was perfect for Robin.

I use to hate it. Wanted Slash on it but with time I have grown to appreciate it. It's not my favorite solo and I think his work on Better is well better but it's good. Especially towards the end.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think his solo on the blues is killer and the solo on If the World (I assume finck) I also tasty.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I think his solo on the blues is killer and the solo on If the World (I assume finck) I also tasty.

It's a Bucket solo, and he does the acoustic. Pittman does the 12-string.

I actually like the TIL solo. The song is a bit cheesy though.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The first time I heard TIL, the closing lines really got me.

And now it seems that I / gave up my goose to fry...

For a good while, I was giggling and wondering what the hell was that all about smile

Board footer