You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Who is Sorry really about?

Neemo wrote:

So I'm just getting back into the whole GnR swing of things still...I dusted off CD and have been listening to it ...

I get to sorry and last I discussed this on forums it was thought to be about slash...I'm thinking it may be more about Niven,  Goldstein and/or Zutaut...I'm kinda leaning to Dougy tbh

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl said it was about multiple people....could be all of them...could be bitchy whiny fans....

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It seems to be directed at everyone trying to tell him what to do, but the choice of words can suggest Slash and certain fans are major factors in that sentiment. "Just shut up and sing" is a phrase I think he mentioned prior to the song when talking about Slash and the old band.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I was listening to it yesterday and thought the lines "You like to hurt me / You know that you do / You like to think in some way / That it's me and not you" + Shacklers lyrics made some sense together.

For the first time I saw all the "YOU" in Chinese Democracy as some sort of inner demon(s) instead of some external person/factor/element.

AtariLegend wrote:
Dexter wrote:

I tried sending this ages ago but apparently it never went through. It was a direct response but now fits others questions on the same subject.
The whole whose it about bit w/songs doesn't work for me that much as in whether a line or whatever was inspired by a particular person or situation doesn't mean that in the end that's what or who the song's about.
I could be working with clay and think of someone or something and somehow that could inspire me to take the work in a different direction at the moment but in the end it could just be a nice vase.
I often wonder where the people who inspired so many songs are now and why it's only important with some songs such as Layla as opposed to others. I'm guessin' a fair # of beautiful love songs or otherwise were inspired by some that the artists and public might consider now or in hindsight to be the opposite of how they are depicted or allegedly represented. 
With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or "the fans" (and the collective of "the fans" is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.
For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.
Also where possible I'd like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations. Of course that's not always avoidable.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Yea but that's more of a politically correct reponse than a real response...talking in circles

Reason I focused on former management is that they all have stories...and they all talked to the press at one time or another about how Axl wronged them...the lyrics seem to be a rebuttal...aka a new age gitr

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good points Otto. Hadn't really thought of it like that.

I still think the album in general is a diatribe towards Slash, hardcore fans, and specific women.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Axl's stated that it isn't about Slash (at the... Osaka gig? I think it was Osaka). I'm inclined to believe it's directed primarily at the management who were trying to sabotage Chinese Democracy in order to force a reunion, and to anyone who didn't respect what he was trying to do and wanted him to "just shut up and sing." But as Axl points out in the quote above, assuming that the song is inspired by an individual (or group) and their actions is very different to it being directed at those people. They may have been a jumping-off point, but the song's really a mood piece.

johndivney wrote:

i don't recall clearly but i think i read or heard somewhere that the "shut up & sing" was a direct quote from sorum??

tbh tho, it was great advice for axl. he had a great voice & a great delivery & he could've sang the fucking alphabet and people would've gobbled it up. he could done guest spots & duets & cover versions.
instead he crumbled & vanished. served himself.
a wasted talent.

i mean he coulda been doing that shit parallel to the chinese mess but he was just so damn tortured, or lazy, he couldn't just put his natural skill to good use.

so it goes..

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

The very first verse is about Slash.
The closing verse (You've got all the answers...) is about madison.

Board footer