You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Teen wants to throw party, hacks parents' phone.

polluxlm wrote:

Teen who wants to throw party hacks parents' phone and changes 'no' to 'hell yes' using autocorrect.

It is perhaps a given that children these days know more about technology than their parents.

And this was perfectly demonstrated by a young man apparently who got his parents to agree to a party they never wanted in the first place.

The teenager, known only as Brendan, knew he wouldn't get the answer he wanted if he asked in the traditional sense.

So, he hacked his parents' phone and changed the autocorrect settings from "no" to "HELL YES".

2BE8995500000578-0_3427315b.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/a … rrect.html

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Kind of funny, kind of disturbing. This generation hooked into these gadgets is just spinning out of control.  Maybe I'm just getting old.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

It reminds me a little bit of 1984, with the tv screens in the room, or should I say cameras. They actually have that now with the Smart TVs. And what better way to jolt the emotions of people by feeding them sound bites on a phone they carry around 24/7?

Now the opportunity exists for Governments (and other powers) to manipulate citizens with the push of a button.

And if this kid can hack the phone, imagine what pros can do. Just wait until people start using their phones to start their car and lock their doors. Then we'll hear stories.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Something that freaks me out is how people use phones to buy their groceries instead of cash. We're one step closer to the "mark of the beast". I read awhile back that the only thing preventing the cashless society era is they don't know exactly how it will effect the black market.

We live in strange times.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I think hack is a bit sensational. I'm guessing he picked up their phones and just went on their auto correct settings and changed them. Not exactly the enigma code.

You're right about tv's though. I bought a Samaung Smart tv a few months back (not on purpose it was just the best deal) and then read in the small print the tv can actually listen & log what you're saying in your own living room when in 'Smart' mode. I've never turned on the Smart function since I bought it.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I've never turned on the Smart function since I bought it.

Still don't trust it. I use tape to cover my laptop cam. 16

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Now the opportunity exists for Governments (and other powers) to manipulate citizens with the push of a button.

The opportunity exists for pretty much everyone with programming knowledge these days wink You guys ever heard of the WiFi Pineapple? It's an awesome little box which can scrape up hundreds of peoples personal data, login credentials, credit cards etc all through WiFi. I could put mine in my backpack then walk around town and come home to all kinds of data, or I could sit in a coffee shop and fuck with people by jamming everyone elses Wifi connection. But that would be naughty 16

It works like this:-
are-you-my-network3.jpg?imgmax=800

^ Victims phone/tablet/laptop sends out a request looking for a WiFi network that it recognises or can connect to. The Wifi Pineapple replies saying "Yes, I'm here, connect to me!!". The PineApple doesn't need to be connected to a laptop like in the diagram either.

All of the victims browsing now goes through the PineApple, but the user doesn't know it since the Wifi connection has the same name as the one you're computer looked for...

WiFi-Pineapple5.png?imgmax=800

So if the victim then logs in to any website the PineApple can be programmed to log the username and password. Or it could be programmed to send you to any webpage the PineApple owner wants you to see. It can even force a disconnect from your current Wifi connection so that when you reconnect you will go through the PineApple.

It's a very cool gadget, though the tech has been around for years. This box just bundles together a load of open source network security tools to make the job easier. You can read more about it at http://www.troyhunt.com/2013/04/the-beg … bsite.html, though it will probably scare you off using WiFi ever again lol.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Still don't trust it. I use tape to cover my laptop cam. 16

Smart idea, more people should be doing that 9

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Honestly, it was probably some loser faking the whole thing for internet points. Tired of seeing these same articles over and over on the same sites.

Board footer