You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Tommy is out(?)

AtariLegend wrote:

Disappointing. The most disappointed I've been when someone's left the post 96 era band so far.

He was cool, he was everything image wise that Ashba wasn't. He was a great bassist too, it's just a shame his bass got screwed over by the person doing the mixing on the album. I'm assuming there's no communication with Axl between Tommy.

Well Duff has showed up on the past few tours, will he show up again? If Duff rejoined and the album ever got released (which I doubt) would Duff being playing bass with Tommy or over him on Seven/Atlas Shrugged/The General ect?

I still don't think there will be a reunion, but the concept of an album originally recorded in the late 90's being released almost 20 years later is too ridiculous now.

Thanks Tommy for the music.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

AtariLegend wrote:

Disappointing. The most disappointed I've been when someone's left the post 96 era band so far.

He was cool, he was everything image wise that Ashba wasn't. He was a great bassist too, it's just a shame his bass got screwed over by the person doing the mixing on the album. I'm assuming there's no communication with Axl between Tommy.

Well Duff has showed up on the past few tours, will he show up again? If Duff rejoined and the album ever got released (which I doubt) would Duff being playing bass with Tommy or over him on Seven/Atlas Shrugged/The General ect?

I still don't think there will be a reunion, but the concept of an album originally recorded in the late 90's being released almost 20 years later is too ridiculous now.

Thanks Tommy for the music.

Time to trot out my old suggestion: while Axl's fucking around twiddling knobs on his mixing desk, Duff and Tommy should make an album together, sharing vocal/bass/rhythm guitar duties. Frank on drums. Fortus on lead guitar. Get 'em in a studio and make it happen, blast through songwriting and recording in a week. It'd be a proper old-school punk/rock record, and it'd be awesome.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The takeaway is that Tommy had issues in his personal life that needed his immediate attention after Vegas. Otherwise, it's more or less in line with what he said earlier.

Tommy wrote:

Basically, I played my last gig in Las Vegas with them and had to come home and tend to that the best I could... It has nothing to do with Axl or any of that stuff. It had more to do with my personal situation... I had to walk away and take care of my stuff.

Tommy, a few weeks ago, wrote:

“I didn’t quit the gig or walk away from it. We just all sort of left it in Vegas.” -src

Tommy wrote:

My guess is... that at some point someone is going to call me and tell me what's up with that... We've left on friendly terms it not like a bad thing.

Tommy, a few weeks ago, wrote:

“I reach out once in a while to that crew of people — a lot of whom are also my good friends — but I really have no idea what’s going on.” -src

The way I read it, he chose to focus on other things for a while and is now in the dark re: Guns.

It's a bit silly that he's been in the band for 17 years and, apparently, his boss still evades a direct phone conversation.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I agree w those who have said his cinments seem similar to previous interviews

If tommy leaves for sure for sure then in my view Axl has 2 options left if he wants to continue his career...disband gnr in any form (If his contract w universal allows) or reunite

Assembling a whole new band at this point seems like it would be a very hard thing to accomplish ...but maybe not. ..I dunno

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

He's speaking of GNR in past tense.  Therefore, I think he's probably gone.

I don't know why anybody would question would he said. If you speak and understand English, it's clear that he is not currently with GnR, IE he's out.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I agree w those who have said his cinments seem similar to previous interviews

If tommy leaves for sure for sure then in my view Axl has 2 options left if he wants to continue his career...disband gnr in any form (If his contract w universal allows) or reunite

Assembling a whole new band at this point seems like it would be a very hard thing to accomplish ...but maybe not. ..I dunno

That's pretty much how I see it.

Personally I don't believe he'd try and put together another band. If it were one guitar player leaving then sure, he'd get another. But these guys all left for a reason. People wouldn't publicly quit a band like this if they were just taking a break, it doesn't make sense to me. You leave something completely if there is nothing left for you in any capacity.

Which to me means either 1) Axl is hanging it up (which I doubt) or 2) A reunion is in play.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

He's waiting for the call it seems to me... MSL said they were fully prepared to tour with DJ next year and his leaving took them by surprise. Again, a reunion just isn't realistic right now, seeing both Axl and Slash have concrete plans for the next year. Maybe Duff coming in? Its hard to tell.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Cramer wrote:

I don't know why anybody would question would he said. If you speak and understand English, it's clear that he is not currently with GnR, IE he's out.

What's certain is that none of the band are currently on retainer, as was the case in between '02-'06. In that sense, he's out. Whether he's out for good is another matter. Even Tommy himself is in doubt about that.

I know it's tempting to draw the conclusion that he's out on a permanent basis with Ron and DJ having left. However, apples and oranges. Ron made his dislike over the Guns way of things known well before he left.

In late 2013, Ron wrote:

"It seems like the running gag was, 'Hey, if you want GUNS N' ROSES to hit the road, all you have to do is book your own tour. And they'll [GUNS N' ROSES] book one at the same exact time and you'll have to cancel yours.' And it reached a point where we got so busy with the [GUNS N' ROSES] touring that I just wasn't able to plan anything...

It's, like, you book something with booking agents and promoters, and their biggest concern is that you're gonna cancel because GUNS is gonna book something, and then you do that, they're gonna be very reluctant to wanna book again, 'cause they're worried about the same thing happening...

Also, the rest of humanity tends to plan things in advance where GUNS N' ROSES tends to plan things the day before. So it's really tough. We could be planning something [for my solo project] for next April, and then GUNS will book something March 31 for April, and all your plans are just… Suddenly you're in this situation where you have to choose...

We had this tour [booked for my solo project] in January/February that I changed for GUNS stuff in December and January and then that stuff got canceled. And all the changes were for nothing, and the changes came at a very big loss. And it also came at a detriment to my name.

If I'm gonna be painted into a corner where I have to choose between being in GUNS N' ROSES and the entire rest of my life, and if they're not willing to help me keep the two functioning well together, then I'm out. So hopefully they're willing to do that. And I've reached out a few days ago and I'm just waiting to hear back.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bumble … fe-im-out/

DJ saw a career happening with Sixx AM, while with Guns, he'd be looking at playing more Robin's gtr parts on CD2 songs, with nominal input in the recording process. Both chose their own careers, albeit for slightly different reasons.

Tommy knows he can balance out The Mats shows with Guns. He has the most qualified understudy in the world. He also knows Guns is the biggest gig he's ever likely to get. Commercially, he can only step down. Just saying, his overall situation is different from Ron and DJ.

Then again, Duff may well join the band on the next run.

I think Axl / Finck / Fortus / Duff / Frank / Dizzy / Pitman would be a very interesting lineup smile

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Cramer wrote:

What's certain is that none of the band are currently on retainer, as was the case in between '02-'06. In that sense, he's out. Whether he's out for good is another matter. Even Tommy himself is in doubt about that.

I know it's tempting to draw the conclusion that he's out on a permanent basis with Ron and DJ having left. However, apples and oranges. Ron made his dislike over the Guns way of things known well before he left.

In late 2013, Ron wrote:

"It seems like the running gag was, 'Hey, if you want GUNS N' ROSES to hit the road, all you have to do is book your own tour. And they'll [GUNS N' ROSES] book one at the same exact time and you'll have to cancel yours.' And it reached a point where we got so busy with the [GUNS N' ROSES] touring that I just wasn't able to plan anything...

It's, like, you book something with booking agents and promoters, and their biggest concern is that you're gonna cancel because GUNS is gonna book something, and then you do that, they're gonna be very reluctant to wanna book again, 'cause they're worried about the same thing happening...

Also, the rest of humanity tends to plan things in advance where GUNS N' ROSES tends to plan things the day before. So it's really tough. We could be planning something [for my solo project] for next April, and then GUNS will book something March 31 for April, and all your plans are just… Suddenly you're in this situation where you have to choose...

We had this tour [booked for my solo project] in January/February that I changed for GUNS stuff in December and January and then that stuff got canceled. And all the changes were for nothing, and the changes came at a very big loss. And it also came at a detriment to my name.

If I'm gonna be painted into a corner where I have to choose between being in GUNS N' ROSES and the entire rest of my life, and if they're not willing to help me keep the two functioning well together, then I'm out. So hopefully they're willing to do that. And I've reached out a few days ago and I'm just waiting to hear back.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bumble … fe-im-out/

DJ saw a career happening with Sixx AM, while with Guns, he'd be looking at playing more Robin's gtr parts on CD2 songs, with nominal input in the recording process. Both chose their own careers, albeit for slightly different reasons.

Tommy knows he can balance out The Mats shows with Guns. He has the most qualified understudy in the world. He also knows Guns is the biggest gig he's ever likely to get. Commercially, he can only step down. Just saying, his overall situation is different from Ron and DJ.

Then again, Duff may well join the band on the next run.

I think Axl / Finck / Fortus / Duff / Frank / Dizzy / Pitman would be a very interesting lineup smile

Yeah, I have a feeling Finck is in the mix, whether it works out or not is another story.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

The dude says he is out of the band. So in that sense, he's currently out of the band. The rest is pure speculation on what may happen later, which frankly, is irrelevant. According to Tommy, he is out of the band. The end.

Also not sure why a moderator would put a question mark after my thread title? Is this kind of like an Obama birth certificate thing? No amount of evidence is enough? 16

Board footer