You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: Alien 5 & Prometheus 2

Will wrote:

Who's looking forward to these?

Must admit I love the Alien franchise, even Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection 16 I also enjoyed Prometheus, and it's being shown on TV here in the UK sometime soon so planning to give it another watch. Recently picked up the Xbox One game Alien Isolation and it was far too scary for me to get all that far into it, but the early stages I did play were really cool and it rekindled my interest in the movies big_smile

Only heard about Alien 5 tonight, and pleased to hear Sigourney Weaver is reprising her role. Half expected it to be a "reboot" with Megan Fox or some other young hot actress. Info is up at http://www.alien5-movie.com/

Then we have Prometheus 2, official titled "Alien: Paradise Lost", and more info available at http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/

What are your expectations of either?

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I enjoyed Prometheus as well despite it's story problems. I'm open to a sequel; but Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5 is a little more intriguing to me because it looks to be a retcon of some of the sequels or just bringing certain supporting characters back. I loved the concept art for it too. As for Alien: Paradise Lost it's kind of strange now that Ridley Scott wants to connect everything back to Alien because he wanted the sequel to be a different story dealing more with the Engineers then the Xenamorphs. Like he wanted a few more films before tying everything up nicely to the original '79 film. Originally the sequel I think was supposed to be called, Paradise. Either he wants to shepherd the franchise from here on out and delay Neil's film and his ideas for continuity or other reasons. Maybe he's warming up to the possibilities and both Alien 5 and Paradise Lost will work in both their favors.

johndivney wrote:

Wow. So I'm one of the 3 people who liked Prometheus! I didn't know there were any others.

I loved alien too, not so much the rest of the franchise (tho obv aliens was great in its own way - & 3 was hard done by). But Ridley seems to have true ownership of the story so I'll always trust him ahead of anyone just out to make an action/horror/chase film.

My expectations are that I'll believe them when I see it. Ridley's talking like he'll be making alien films for e next 7-10 years which I think is just unrealistic. I hope he does tho cause all most every other film he's made since black hawk down has stunk bar Prometheus.
I'll still try & go see the Martian tho..

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

johndivney wrote:

Wow. So I'm one of the 3 people who liked Prometheus! I didn't know there were any others.

I loved alien too, not so much the rest of the franchise (tho obv aliens was great in its own way - & 3 was hard done by). But Ridley seems to have true ownership of the story so I'll always trust him ahead of anyone just out to make an action/horror/chase film.

My expectations are that I'll believe them when I see it. Ridley's talking like he'll be making alien films for e next 7-10 years which I think is just unrealistic. I hope he does tho cause all most every other film he's made since black hawk down has stunk bar Prometheus.
I'll still try & go see the Martian tho..

I hear the Martian is fucking great. Hoping to check that out in a few weeks too.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Alien is one of my favorite series. Even like the fourth film.

District 9 I thought was one of the best sci fi's in years. Definitely have hopes he can make a decent Alien 5.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I'm a fan of the series...but not a huge fan...promethieus was ok

Aliens was my favorite was pretty young and impressionable when it came out...used to be able to recite most of the movie ice seen it so many times 16

Never watched the aliens vs predator movies tho

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Game over man, game over!

You should watch the first AvP. Not bad for 90 minutes of fun. No reason to see the sequel.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Aliens was just the 80s action movie version of Alien. I love it. Bill Paxton is amazing in it.

I thought Prometheus was pretty good but I don't need several more movies to tie it in all nice and neat with Alien. Unnecessary IMO.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Looking forward? Sure.

To keep it simple, I feel the odd entries in Alien franchise are good as gold, whereas the even ones are clunkers.

I'm in the vocal minority in the matter, as a lot of people really dig Cameron's Aliens and dismiss Fincher's Alien3. Aliens fails to impress me, for whatever reason. I like The Terminator and Abyss, so go figure.

Alien3, however, has a good film buried underneath a checkered production history. The assembly cut in the anthology box is a glimpse of a desolate story. Despite many script issues, I feel Fincher got good performances out of his cast (Sigourney Weaver appears very scared next to the creature) and his visual style is already top-notch. There's a lot of hellbent dedication simmering through the screen, as if the cast & crew involved really put the work into salvaging the wreck.

There's a minor character (played by Paul McGuigan, a brief Dr Who and 'I' in Withnail and I) who goes a bit daft after encountering the creature and begins to idolize it, with grim consequences. This subplot is a nice example of Fincher's chosen milieu, which became more readily apparent in Seven. The poor inmate clung into a being he failed to understand as God and everything went from bad to worse. This ties into the overall mood of hopelessness, as the creature appears superior to the humans in every way, simply picking them out at its leisure.

To me, that's a whole lot more enticing than the (well-executed) action sequences in Aliens. I guess there's the rub; Scott's original film set the tone to Ripley being in a purgatorial state; deep space, far from home, in an enclosed maze with a monster. You can plausibly expand the universe into Cameron's direction from thereon. A world like that would surely have space marines with big guns. That's fine. The insect-like breeding habits also make sense. I have my reservations on the Queen overall, but then again, I feel H.R. Giger struck a precarious balance between flesh and technology, from whence came the biomechanical Alien and also, the Space Jockey. Cameron's design for the Queen is decidedly cut from a different cloth.

It's just that Cameron's movie overturns the paradigm; the creatures overpower the humans by numbers. Certainly, the lone warrior creature is stripped from it's elegance as the most evolved predator* mankind has ever seen. When they are but waves of cannon fodder, the creatures do get more impersonal. Alien3 addresses this point directly, with Ripley mulling over her relationship to the one beast at Fury 161. The one creature is the focal point of the story, a nigh-unstoppable killing machine. I guess it's something like having one shark in Jaws and a school of them in a sequel. The starting-off points are highly different.

Blomkamp should do fine. District 9 was an entertaining film and he's ready to recruit Michael Biehn as Hicks. Personally, I like Biehn and feel he should've been in Avatar as well, revisiting his Abyss role as the corporate/military baddie. It's too early to say where he'd go, but it's an odd-numbered entry. smile

*The Predator is more like man evolved, a big game hunter.

Prometheus 2, Alien: Paradise Lost, or whatever loosely-connected-yet-deniable entry to the franchise Scott decides upon, should also be fine. This series, hopefully, will have terrible odd entries and solid even ones.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Apex after reading that post I'm gonna have to watch Alien 3 again. I haven't watched it since release. I didn't like it but would like a fresh look at it.

Board footer