You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Could a band get away with this today?

AtariLegend wrote:

Was going to ask this in relation to Guns, but it's better suited here.

This is mid 75 and this is Floyd playing an hour of the start of their gig with unfinished tracks from Animals that wouldn't be released for a few years and Wish You Were Here that wasn't out yet either. They're were doing this in 74 as well. Keep in mind only one of the new tracks they played for the first half of the gig is under 12 minutes long.

01. Sheep
02. Dogs
03. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5)
04. Have A Cigar
05. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 6-9)
06. Speak To Me
07. Breathe
08. On The Run
09. Time
10. Breathe (Reprise)
11. The Great Gig In The Sky
12. Money
13. Us And Them
14. Any Colour You Like
15. Brain Damage
16. Eclipse
17. Echoes

Trying to imagine Guns opening shows in 2002 with There Was A Time/This I Love/Madasgascar/The General/Atlas Shrugged/Prostitute and whatever long tracks where never released before playing anything that the audience would know until the 2nd half of the gig. It would never happen.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Actually I think they could, just nobody has the balls. Once paid, with ticket prices these days, people aren't going to leave. As long as they are playing that stellar second half fans are going to keep coming to shows.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think Radiohead & NIN in the 90s/early 00s could have done it. They always seemed experimental & most fans didn't go for the hits, more the ambiance.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

GNR could have pulled it off. I always said if that Osaka 09 set is the Rio 01 set, CD saga is a whole different ballgame. All that was required for new gnr early in the saga was a handful of hits. He had an empty canvas that he quickly painted into a nostalgia act.

Before SG released SU, they did a brief tour road testing the new material to gauge it's reaction.

If an artist wants to do these things, fans know what to expect.

Neil Young played a new album in its entirety live and then released it.

AtariLegend wrote:

This is off topic and completely unpractical, but I'd love to have heard a Roger Waters album with Axl/Bucket on it.

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

This is off topic and completely unpractical, but I'd love to have heard a Roger Waters album with Axl/Bucket on it.

Other than the fact so much time transpired with CD in limbo, another terrible thing is god only knows how many collaborations we missed out on from mid 90s-present. I'm not the only one who hoped Axl and Bruce might do something together after their spontaneous jam at the HOF 20 years ago.

I also wish he had considered putting GNR on the back burner and did a different project, whether a super group or solo. He should have considered it after 2002 when the label wasn't receptive to CD. Had they noticed him switching gears it probably would have gave him leverage.

With Buckethead I have a feeling a lot of people may have wanted to work with him but the act itself might be a turnoff to them. He could have been in RHCP in the early 90s and Zakk's replacement for Ozzy in the late 90s.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

It's really telling of Axl's personality that he wanted BH and Finck in his revamped GN'R. For those other bands the image was a deal breaker, but Axl didn't care. He saw the artistic potential.

James

James wrote:

Thats  true but remember that the 01 lineup happened by accident or fate. Finck bailed and it was supposed to be a Bucket and Huge guitar duo until Fink jumped in at the last second. Finck even admitted that the 3 guitarist concept was not by design. I know its been insinuated that it was always Axl's vision but obviously he was reacting to the cards that had been dealt. I do agree with Finck that he provided the perfect anchor for Bucket.

Its a frightening thought that we almost got a Fortus-Huge duo but Axl picked Bucket and never called Fortus back in 2000. In that alternate universe I think the project gets scrapped because without Bucket there to elevate the songs it would have been in deep shit.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Not saying that was his vision all along, but when the opportunity presented itself he took it. And we got some pretty good songs as a result of it. God willing we may get more in the future.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

It's kind of funny that the AFD songs benefit most with the 3 guitar setup, since it was recorded that way, wasn't it? With Izzy on rhythm, Slash on a different rhythm + solos.

Board footer