You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Robin back in NIN. Temp or not is the question?

DCK wrote:

Greeeeeat. This band is SO fucked. Good try though. Fun while it lasted. Give Slash a call. Robin was as important as Stinson in this band. He was a core member. When he leaves GNR to tour with a big band it tells me a few things about this band. If youre in a big band you dont leave for another big band and think it's ok. You have loyalty. If Robin discovered this band wouldnt release anything the next 2 years and felt it was about time to do something else then that's fine with me. Would do it myself. Why wait around for a band that doesn't even release an album? If he just left coz he got sick of waiting and couldnt give a rats ass if the album was coming out and now basiclaly cluster-fucked all of Axl's plans this year, then I have no support for Robin Finck and would be happy to see Slash back (and thats as likely as me doing Keira Knightley in the back of a limo)

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

Whats with all this reunion talk?  Relax, the sky isn't falling. 

The one thing that I thought of though is, the last time Finck went back to NiN it was b/c his contract (with GnR) was up.  I wonder if thats the case this time.

starsko
 Rep: 6 

starsko wrote:
DCK wrote:

Greeeeeat. This band is SO fucked. Good try though. Fun while it lasted. Give Slash a call. Robin was as important as Stinson in this band. He was a core member. When he leaves GNR to tour with a big band it tells me a few things about this band. If youre in a big band you dont leave for another big band and think it's ok. You have loyalty. If Robin discovered this band wouldnt release anything the next 2 years and felt it was about time to do something else then that's fine with me. Would do it myself. Why wait around for a band that doesn't even release an album? If he just left coz he got sick of waiting and couldnt give a rats ass if the album was coming out and now basiclaly cluster-fucked all of Axl's plans this year, then I have no support for Robin Finck and would be happy to see Slash back (and thats as likely as me doing Keira Knightley in the back of a limo)

Moreover the Finck picture posted by Reznor was taken in a studio, so maybe Finck has been recording stuff for a forthcoming NIN release.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Interesting that this is the 2nd time this has happened with Robin.  I would think he'd have to have Axl's ok to do it, which means IF CD is coming out, it isn't going to be anytime soon.

It almost happened with the With Teeth tour. It's a well-known fact in the NIN community that Robin was still Trent's first choice for the lead and he could've done a years worth of touring, completing three whole legs and still managed to come back to GNR with over a months time to rest & rehearse. Trent has told people Robin did consider quite carefully before giving it a pass. Trent felt pretty much the same way Axl felt in '99, which should tell you something about Robin.

While I'm not negative nor frightened about the current situation, I'll be the first one to point out what I call the curse of Paul Huge.

'01: The RIR3 lineup becomes the first 'new era' live band.

'02: Paul Huge quits.

'04: Bucket quits.

'06: Brain quits.

'08: Robin... goes out to tour with NIN. big_smile

What currently remains of the RIR3 lineup is Axl, Tommy, Dizzy and Pittman, which is kind of mind-boggling, if you think about it. Here's hoping that the CD release could revert the curse and give us back the 2001 lineup with a bunch of new songs.

Currently, one can assume Robin will do the first leg, which runs from late July to early September. It's April now and it takes 2-3 months to properly set up an album release. Since no announcement has been made (as I'd expect one would be made fairly soon), Axl and Universal are still in talks. This means CD is in mid-June/mid-July territory at the earliest. A silly moment for Robin to walk away from a decade's work unless he'd gotten the OK.

Remember Tommy during the VGH tour? He kept saying he might on the road when CD comes out, which would've suited him just fine. After returning to the fold, he expected GNR to embark on a long tour to promote the album.

CD may now be already pencilled for November at the earliest but that's alright. If the movement goes on, we're in for an interesting year, albeit with no touring.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Remember Tommy during the VGH tour? He kept saying he might on the road when CD comes out, which would've suited him just fine. After returning to the fold, he expected GNR to embark on a long tour to promote the album.

Goes to show how much they know about what's going on in this band. 16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Tommie wrote:

the last time Finck went back to NiN it was b/c his contract (with GnR) was up.

now now you are implying that Axl employed him...i thought he was part of the "band" 16 19

starsko
 Rep: 6 

starsko wrote:
sic. wrote:

Currently, one can assume Robin will do the first leg, which runs from late July to early September. It's April now and it takes 2-3 months to properly set up an album release. Since no announcement has been made (as I'd expect one would be made fairly soon), Axl and Universal are still in talks. This means CD is in mid-June/mid-July territory at the earliest. A silly moment for Robin to walk away from a decade's work unless he'd gotten the OK.

I understand that you want to remain positive and maybe you are right. But it is doubtful that Reznor would hire Finck for just one leg of a world tour.
Obviously at this point it's all about speculation, that's why NIN fans are already hoping that NIN with Finck will play in Europe in 2009...

Sky Dog wrote:

I am fairly certain that all their contracts are up at this point. The recording is done, there is no tour planned. He isn't going to pay them for absolutely nothing.:haha:

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
sic. wrote:

I'd wait for a comment from Irving Azoff before jumping into too drastic conclusions. Come ol' boy, this is your first on GNR damage control! Show some of that professionalism!

I think they managed GNR damage control pretty well. We endure months of silence followed by three bullshit updates so fans believe the ChiDem release may finally in motion.

Imo, GNR knew in advance that Robin was planning to head back out on tour with NIN so they had to throw together a few updates prior to Trent making his announcement.

Months of absolute silence followed by news that the lead guitarist was heading out on a world tour with NIN would have killed the fanbase.

Azoff and Gould have probably been on board for a few months but withheld making an announcement until the release was actually in motion.

I'm not expecting an update from GNR on this. Nor am I expecting my free Dr. Pepper. I'll just enjoy a few months of silence smile

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
madagas wrote:

I am fairly certain that all their contracts are up at this point. The recording is done, there is no tour planned. He isn't going to pay them for absolutely nothing.:haha:

Well, according to the Zoot interview, he was paying for the instruments that no one was using, why not do it with the musicians as well?

Board footer