You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: Looks like rehearsals have started!

TheMole wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

The weirdest thing is how the hell Axl's singing vocals (the clean ones of modern day) are actually HIGHER than he was back in the day. That's usually unheard of.

It's because he's using more falsetto these days (hence the Mickeyness), which is always higher than ones modal voice. There's some discussion on the correct term, as he's not always using true falsetto (the into to Better is a good example of his 'true' falsetto voice) but more of a head voice thing as some people would define as stronger than a typical falsetto, but still not coming from the chest while allowing for some of the higher notes to be hit more easily. He used to use mostly his chest voice back in the day, but it requires quite some power to push it up so high and more easily results in the raspiness he's known for. In the head voice, adding power usually leads to a hoarser sounding voice.

AtariLegend wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think this is a proper example.

By the time he recorded his speaking parts for GTA: San Andreas, it would've been at least 2003 , if not 2004.

Can't believe we still don't know the story of how that came about sad. Would have been great to have had Axl back in GTA V.

johndivney wrote:

He's dead in V. They make mention of him on the radio. It's the only thing missing from V, him & a proper classic rock station.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah John's right, he's dead. GTA V has a rock station, which is pretty cool because it's more targeted towards Hollywood, thus the reason "The King of the Soundtrack Theme" Kenny Loggins is the host. Loggins does a great job BTW.

GTA has never ever had the same host of the rock station. Even Lazlow was the host of Chatterbox in GTA III, then was the rock host in the prequel on GTA: Vice City. GTA: San Andreas has some chick (sorry can't remember) on Radio X which was Modern Rock station (GN'R, AIC, FNM, Soundgarden, RATM, etc.), and then Axl as Tommy "The Nightmare" Smith hosts the 70's Classic Rock station.

Then in GTA IV, Iggy Pop hosted the rock station, and then Loggins in GTA V.

So they always get a rock legend to change out each game, just to keep it fresh.

Remember Axl's character in GTA: San Andreas was an aging, washed up, former drug addict that had fallen from rock star in the 1970s to radio DJ, in the year 1992. Fast-forward to 2013 when GTA V was released and if Tommy was alive, he'd been probably a Malcolm Young-situation with more age. So it wouldn't have made alot of sense to have him back, even though he was great. They just killed him off and Loggins mentioned him (I believe).

AtariLegend wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think this is a proper example.

By the time he recorded his speaking parts for GTA: San Andreas, it would've been at least 2003 , if not 2004.

Can't believe we still don't know the story of how that came about sad. Would have been great to have had Axl back in GTA V.

Completely totally agree. Especially considering "The Nightmare" (pardon the pun) that the Chinese sessions were, HOW THE HELL did this collab come about, and Axl agreed to do it, and not only do it, but fucking nailed it.

I've always wondered how much of it was pre-written or how much of it was Axl being allowed to find a character and add his own parts in?

I've always thought Axl would've made a great actor with all his emotional range and natural ability to be funny and crazy within seconds of each other. Dennis Hopper type.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

Nightrain live in Pukkelpop 2002 the first line he sings sounds exactly like the 90's, then before the solo he has one of the highest voice cracks i have ever heard.

Axlin16 wrote:
The weirdest thing is how the hell Axl's singing vocals (the clean ones of modern day) are actually HIGHER than he was back in the day. That's usually unheard of.

I think he sang like "mickey" in the 90's but buried it with all the rasp. Did Axl ever have moments of a mickey mouse voice in late 80's or 90's?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
DtM51 wrote:

Nightrain live in Pukkelpop 2002 the first line he sings sounds exactly like the 90's, then before the solo he has one of the highest voice cracks i have ever heard.

Axlin16 wrote:

I think he sang like "mickey" in the 90's but buried it with all the rasp. Did Axl ever have moments of a mickey mouse voice in late 80's or 90's?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Save a few songs, the soundtrack to GTA V is my least favorite. I did take a stripper on a long detour to her house when Big Log came on the radio. Awesome drive song at night, especially when you're getting g a blow job 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
DtM51 wrote:

Axlin16 wrote:

The thing that sticks out the most, especially after 91, was how unhealthy the rasp sounded. It literally sounded like his vocal chords were shredded. It was a dry rasp. Insure quitting smoking had an effect too. My voice was deeper when I smoked, especially weed.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Save a few songs, the soundtrack to GTA V is my least favorite. I did take a stripper on a long detour to her house when Big Log came on the radio. Awesome drive song at night, especially when you're getting g a blow job 16

It certainly is an eclectic soundtrack. I thought the inclusion of Hollywood-based stuff like Loggins' "Danger Zone" from Top Gun & "I'm Free (Heaven Helps The Man)" from Footloose, as well as Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" & Eddie Murphy's "Party All The Time" was ace, and perfect to sell some of the 80s revisionism that's going now and how that stuff is somehow cool and immortal now. I thought it was smart on their part to include that stuff.

I even thought the Robert Plant stuff was unique, as well as others. The producers said they wanted the radio station in GTA V to sound like a radio station in SoCal in 2013. I can't really speak for that, especially with the advent of internet radio, but WITH internet radio there does seem to be a broader selection of songs that now are played in other regions that aren't played in others. Some DJ's play deeper cuts than others, and there are others that play it safe with the hits. Who knows.

But yeah, I felt like GTA V kinda missed it on the soundtrack front, and easily was the weakest since GTA III. Still with that said, maybe i'm rock-pop biased, but I still think the Loggins' rock station was the best on the game, and even still I felt like Loggins was good, but the music selection was hit and miss.

For the first time ever, short of the GTA V talk station with Michelle & Lazlow, I found myself after I listened the shit out of the rock & old school rap station, turning the game's radio off later on, and listened to my own talk radio or tunes, while I played the game, which is kinda sad. Vice City, San Andreas & GTA IV all had STRONG radio options. I was underwhelmed by GTA V's selection.

I also have been VERY disappointed by the lack of DLC story-mode expansion, in favor of beating off to GTA Online, which PS4 owners have to pay for, like XBox. Disappointing.

johndivney wrote:

Played gta online for 9 hours yesterday 10

Feel like shit this morning. Gotta go play football now 5

Board footer