You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

After South Carolina we will know....

I think this is Rubio's to lose honestly... Cruz can't win the General.  Rubio will get his votes and will also get Jeb's, Christie's etc.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Given who has won the GOP Iowa caucuses prior, I don't give this much weight. Same for Dems.

That's a good point.

Didn't Bush win Iowa in 80?  Buchanan in 92?

Huckabee just dropped out. One down.....many more to go.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

I thought Rubio would be the pick a few months ago, but Trump came in like bulldozer and knocked everything down. If it were a more establishment type setting, then yes I'd say Rubio or Bush. But who the hell knows anymore. The GOP do have a history of courting those outside the beltway initially and then falling back into line near the end. Trump's staying power has long exceeded the previous patterns, so I felt he was more of a contender (as did many unhappy GOP elites) than the Bachmans and Santorums of the past.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Given who has won the GOP Iowa caucuses prior, I don't give this much weight. Same for Dems.

That's a good point.

Didn't Bush win Iowa in 80?  Buchanan in 92?

Huckabee just dropped out. One down.....many more to go.

They really need to drop out if they're that low. I think they've been hanging on for so long because they can't believe what's happening and keep anticipating a shift.

Speaking of Huckabee, he won this caucus in 2008. Rick Santorum in 2012.

James

James wrote:

Another reason they need to drop out is that those few percentage points they pull in can have an impact on the Trump-Cruz-Rubio match up.

Who would have won if all that chaff hadn't been included?

I know Trump is nutty but he's likable. The right hates him, the left hates him, and the media hates him. It means he's a threat to the establishment and that is a huge selling point to the average voter. No other candidate in the race has what he has. He's truly an outsider. many try to run with that label but he is the real deal on that front. Many things can happen between now and election day....scandals....war....terrorism....economic downturn....that could help or hurt different candidates for different reasons.

God I cant stand Huckabee. I laughed back in 08 when he thought he had a chance to win.

Jeb needs to drop out next. Amazing how many millions were wasted during his run.

edit:

I think they've been hanging on for so long because they can't believe what's happening

Many cant believe what's happening(including the media) and this plays into Trump's hands.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I want Cruz out.  I cannot stand him....

James

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I want Cruz out.  I cannot stand him....

I want em all out but Trump. 16

James

James wrote:

THis is some fucked up, corrupt shit. Look no further than this as a reason our political system needs to be overhauled. Sanders should contest this. After reading this I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell. The establishment is placing Hilary in the general election even if they have to rig the damn thing...

In a handful of Democratic caucus precincts Monday, a delegate was awarded with a coin toss.

It happened in precinct 2-4 in Ames, where supporters of candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton disputed the results after 60 caucus participants apparently disappeared from the proceedings.

As a result of the coin toss, Clinton was awarded an additional delegate, meaning she took five of the precinct’s eight, while Sanders received three.

Here’s what happened, according to David Schweingruber, an associate professor of sociology at Iowa State University (and Sanders supporter) who participated in the caucus:

A total of 484 eligible caucus attendees were initially recorded at the site. But when each candidate’s preference group was counted, Clinton had 240 supporters, Sanders had 179 and Martin O’Malley had five (causing him to be declared non-viable).

Those figures add up to just 424 participants, leaving 60 apparently missing. When those numbers were plugged into the formula that determines delegate allocations, Clinton received four delegates and Sanders received three — leaving one delegate unassigned.

Unable to account for that numerical discrepancy and the orphan delegate it produced, the Sanders campaign challenged the results and precinct leaders called a Democratic Party hot line set up to advise on such situations.

Party officials recommended they settle the dispute with a coin toss.

A Clinton supporter correctly called “heads” on a quarter flipped in the air, and Clinton received a fifth delegate.

Similar situations were reported elsewhere, including at a precinct in Des Moines, at another precinct in Des Moines, in Newton, in West Branch  and in Davenport. In all five situations, Clinton won the toss.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ … /79680342/

----------

It all makes me sick. The system is completely rigged. I'm reaching the point where if someone like Trump, Ventura, or a future unknown doesn't come in and implode the system as we know it, I'm willing to just let the TPTB tell us who our next prez is every four years and not waste any time pretending that there are real choices.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

It all makes me sick. The system is completely rigged. I'm reaching the point where if someone like Trump, Ventura, or a future unknown doesn't come in and implode the system as we know it, I'm willing to just let the TPTB tell us who our next prez is every four years and not waste any time pretending that there are real choices.

System has been rigged for years. Preloaded voting machines, double voting, fake votes, voters stricken off lists etc.

Remember a story about a candidate in California. Was leading huge, they called it. Then when the rest of the votes got counted the other guy had like 90% of them, doing a huge jump. Now that's mathematically impossible, and the theory is the early votes were rigged (electronic) and when the real physical votes got counted you saw how people had really voted.

James

James wrote:

Yeah its been fishy for years but now it is just getting too blatant.  When they're deciding on coin tosses and each coin toss goes in one person's favor.... it has jumped the shark.

She should have just told Sanders, "Heads I win, tails you lose".

edit: This story will be completely glossed over by the media and by tomorrow no one will even know it happened.

On to the next coin toss....

Board footer