You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Looks like rehearsals have started!

Lomax wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

While I know GNR are still under contract with UMG....I would LOVE for something to happen like NIN did with The Slip. Just out of the blue....BAM.....there is a GNR album(or a new song) ready to instantly download/stream on the official site.

It doesn't have to be free like The Slip was. Just unload it amidst all this hoopla.

I'd prefer an E.P.
No full album.
Just 5 new killer songs.
3 Studio Cuts and 2 excellent live recordings from the warm-up show.

Release it. Call it "Guns N Roses".
That's what I want.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

James Lofton wrote:

While I know GNR are still under contract with UMG....I would LOVE for something to happen like NIN did with The Slip. Just out of the blue....BAM.....there is a GNR album(or a new song) ready to instantly download/stream on the official site.

It doesn't have to be free like The Slip was. Just unload it amidst all this hoopla.

I just cannot envision this coming from an Axl led G&R. It truly is a band of few surprises despite working hard to convey the feeling that they act on a whim.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
killingvector wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I just cannot envision this coming from an Axl led G&R. It truly is a band of few surprises despite working hard to convey the feeling that they act on a whim.

In the Chinese era I'd agree 150%.  You're also right about them turning into the most predictable band in the world.

Now that its on a much larger scale and the label will be begging to get SOMETHING out, 2016-17 is the best chance we've had since the 90s on getting some sort of material out.

I have no problem with TB's involvement to some extent like some do but I hope there are other people involved who can negotiate these sorts of things.

We need a big dog like Azoff in the mix. I really wish he had been involved in 2001-02 or at least 05-06.  I know Axl had major issues with Azoff and even some fans gave him shit but its a fact that the only time we got an album released during the CD saga was that short time frame he was involved.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Now that its on a much larger scale and the label will be begging to get SOMETHING out, 2016-17 is the best chance we've had since the 90s on getting some sort of material out.

Maybe...I'd believe the label would be more supportive with Slash back in the fold as I doubt any label person would truely ever like the idea of remaking/evolving GNR into something other than the AFD/UYI band.

Then again we're in the era where there's no point to classic artists making albums anymore.

Once the tour supported the album and increased Album sales.

Then the album became a loss leader to increase tour ticket sales.

But that only works for acts that are still in their heyday.

Legacy acts just tour hits and no one cares about new music.

Aerosmith found it wasn't worth the effort of making their last album, metallica is working on an album now but has spent the last 5 summers doing Euro festivals or whatever with nothing new.

I wish to god GNR would make new music as IMO that's what history needs - but I think the general public just wants them to re-do the UYI tour and that's what we may get.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Everyone clamouring for new material: be patient. A new album is a hook for publicity, but so is the reunion – why over-egg the pudding? Indeed, there are several potential hooks that GN'R has to dangle before audiences.

1) The partial "regrouping" – Axl, Slash and Duff sharing the stage again generates plenty of headlines and ticket sales on its own.

2) The AFD reunion – Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Adler sharing the stage (for the 30th anniversary?) will provide another boost to sales. Maybe do one of those live play-throughs of the whole AFD album? The 30th anniversary is a promotional opportunity in itself, and the perfect time to unload some archive material from the era (Ritz '88, remastered AFD with bonus tracks, etc).

There is absolutely no point in putting out new material before the regrouping, because the regrouping sells itself. You're wasting promotional gold dust to promote something that doesn't need promoting. When the interest in the regrouping/reunion starts to cool, that's when you wheel out new material – in dribs and drabs.

3) A Best Of collection with a couple of new tracks on it. Livens up the tour with new material, gives you something to sell it on.

4) A song for a blockbuster movie soundtrack – gives you an easy promotional push that ties in with the movie. A Marvel film would be a good shout – Thor: Ragnarok would be the obvious contender there, with a release in 2017 (Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 is off-limits because of its very specific vintage soundtrack). The Holy Grail, of course, would be the 25th James Bond film (which will drop in 2017 at the earliest) – though the competition for that gig is intense.

5) It's at this point that an album becomes a worthwhile endeavour – the regrouped Guns N' Roses is well-established, interest is probably waning as people move onto the next big thing, and a new album is a trump card.

Based on all that supposition, I'd expect that the only new material we'll get in the next few years will be odd songs here and there, with 2018 being the likeliest date for an album.

James

James wrote:

Once the tour supported the album and increased Album sales.
Then the album became a loss leader to increase tour ticket sales.
But that only works for acts that are still in their heyday.
Legacy acts just tour hits and no one cares about new music.

AC/DC would disagree with you. KISS might as well. There are definitely some major acts that tour without albums with varying results. Its not even just the album itself that promotes the tour it is the hit single that does that.

A new album/single will help promote your tour but if this is strictly nostalgia and they have no desire to do anything beyond that then I agree....nothing new is ever coming.

A new album is a hook for publicity, but so is the reunion – why over-egg the pudding?

Exactly which is why I don't expect a new album this year.

3) A Best Of collection with a couple of new tracks on it. Livens up the tour with new material, gives you something to sell it on.

4) A song for a blockbuster movie soundtrack – gives you an easy promotional push that ties in with the movie.

5) It's at this point that an album becomes a worthwhile endeavour

Add an unloading of the vault and you've just described Soundgarden's strategy with their reunion and I'm praying the GNR reunion plays out exactly like that one did.

johndivney wrote:

Guess we'll not get Tommy doing Motivation anymore..?? Or one man mutiny??
Ah well.. Can't have everything I guess..

James

James wrote:

I wish Axl had let Tommy sing So Fine years ago. Blasphemy I suppose but in the early years of the CD saga there was too much AFD and Tommy would've got a huge pop from the crowd singing that. Back then I thought majority of UYI was being saved for the reunion but once they started digging into it, whip that one out as well.

Might have come off as disrespectful to Duff so maybe that's why it didn't happen.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

When the fuck is the new song going to come out?!? Surely we will get one, right???

johndivney wrote:

Nah Tommy should've done light of day. That'd be GnR worthy.

Board footer