You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: The Story Of Guns N' Roses' To Air On BBC FOUR In U.K.

BLS-Pride wrote:

It was worth the watch for the old backstage and concert clips. Everything else was the same old same old bs with the familiar characters.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Watched it last night with my wife and we both enjoyed it.

What struck us most is how sympathetic to Axl it was. My wife has always thought he is a douche (as do a lot of casuals) and she came away feeling a bit more empathy towards him, as did I it must be said. The whole Slash playing with Michael Jackson (an alleged child abuser) point was an interesting one and not one i'd given a lot of thought to, to be honest.

The other striking thing to me is how much better Matt Sorum comes across especially in comparison to Steven Adler who comes across terribly in my view. If anything, it confirms the perception that he lacks the stability in any sense to be any kind of major part of this reunion.

The animation and opening sequence was unexpected and quite bizarre and lent a feel lacking in cohesion to the whole thing - in fact, i'd wager this thing was rush-releassed to capitalise on the reunion as a lot of feels very unfinished...

However, a good watch on the whole...

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Very similar documentary by A&E...

AtariLegend wrote:

Well let's say Appetite and Use Your Illusion 1 and 2.

Let's count TSI as a proper studio album too, Greatest Hits and even the Live Era as well.

Let's assume that they counted Live@The Suicide and Lies the 2 EP's as 2 separate albums.

I'm stuck tongue. What were the other 7 albums pre-Chinese Democracy?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

The BBC took stuff from the A&E..

At one point the A&E one says Slash is have black and half jewish and that slash's father was an immigrant Jew..  Where do they get this stuff?  Why do they think Slash is Lenny Kravitz?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The patchy feeling betrays how thin the production really is. Even had to throw in that weird cartoon to attempt to spice it up. Especially the end was a train wreck.

Good footage though. Quite a bit I hadn't seen before. A few cool stories, Axl wanting to buy an army, believing Slash had been taken over by another soul, Duff doing 10 bottles of wine to ease up his drinking. The Keith Richards impression.

But damn, these guys are getting worn. Some of them I felt could go right there. Duff looks about 70 in HD. Matt sounded about the same age. Don't know how Slash is keeping it up so well, he's done more drugs than most of them. Adler was just sad. Might count ourselves lucky this reunion is happening when it does.

jimmythegent wrote:

Watched it last night with my wife and we both enjoyed it.

What struck us most is how sympathetic to Axl it was. My wife has always thought he is a douche (as do a lot of casuals) and she came away feeling a bit more empathy towards him, as did I it must be said. The whole Slash playing with Michael Jackson (an alleged child abuser) point was an interesting one and not one i'd given a lot of thought to, to be honest.

What was her impression of him before? I thought he was a getting a bid of a bad rap. Presenting it like he went off stage every week. 16

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

At one point the A&E one says Slash is have black and half jewish and that slash's father was an immigrant Jew..  Where do they get this stuff?  Why do they think Slash is Lenny Kravitz?

Lol. Because his name is Saul, and the character Hesh on Sopranos likes black chicks? 14

That is some weak ass investigating. Just wikipedia will tell you that his father was English and Slash' name is Saul because his mother liked the artist Saul Steinberg.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Lol. Because his name is Saul, and the character Hesh on Sopranos likes black chicks? 14

That is some weak ass investigating. Just wikipedia will tell you that his father was English and Slash' name is Saul because his mother liked the artist Saul Steinberg.

Haha. If you watch the A&E you will see the BBC one is pretty much the same exact documentary. I think they must have shared interviews, photos, etc.

johndivney wrote:

The bbc are affiliated with a&he somehow. + it's prob a lot to do w/footage that is in the public domain also. E.g. There was no mention or clips from it's so easy on the bbc doc..?? The real good stuff is still kept under lock & key.

Board footer