You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Making a Murderer

johndivney wrote:

Yea the crux of it probably isn't whether he's guilty or not, but the simple fact he didn't get a fair trial.

& yea, the insurance said it wouldn't cover the cost of his claim of $36mil so the state & officers were liable.

I think the conspiracy COULD'VE been carried out by 2-4 people & everyone else just bought into it.
There was definitely a narrow focus of investigation, like they were determined to prove he was guilty w/o investigating anyone else. 2 or 3 people could easily have set it in motion, or at least covered it up to put the blame on Avery.
I dunno. It's really fucked, guilty or not it's a miscarriage of justice how the result has come about. How people got away with some of their behaviour is just crazy.

I think also compared to earlier films of this sort like the west Memphis 3 or a thin blue line, this case, obviously, really benefits from the internets reaction. Even more than the recent the jinx show, prob due to Netflix reaching a larger audience.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I haven't read the thread incase it contains spoilers, but I watched the first episode of this last night and will definitely be watching the rest. I'll throw in my $0.02 when I've caught up smile

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Just finished this today.

Pretty fucked up story. Like Neemo I have trouble believing a relatively inconsequential murder in the middle of nowhere could be a conspiracy that travels as high up as it does (or at least appears). You begin to wonder if the judge is in on it, and a suggestion at the end the jury may have been compromised. I have a hard time swallowing it.

I think it's more likely two or three corrupt guys and the system closed ranks to protect them. Not necessarily because they're all in on it but because to even accept anything else would mean a shit storm like nothing they could comprehend or afford. Supporting the polices version of events was the only option.

Like one of Averys lawyers said near the end, in a way I hope he is guilty because the alternative is far worse.

Maybe it was just me but I thought Theresa's brother and ex boyfriend were definitely worth investigating further. Something definitely not right about those two.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I have watched 4 episodes. Well the one where they find a whole in the cap of the blood container.... Holy shit this case is so fucked. And that 16 year old that is like forest Gump. They took advantage of that kid. Can't wait to see episode 5.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I have watched 4 episodes. Well the one where they find a whole in the cap of the blood container.... Holy shit this case is so fucked. And that 16 year old that is like forest Gump. They took advantage of that kid. Can't wait to see episode 5.

It gets worse..  much worse.    That prosecutor is such a slimeball.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Watched episode 5 last night. Steve's attorneys are badasses. But even the judge seems to be in on it. The DA seems like a flat out liar!!!!

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

How is the DA not in jail or any of these old guys even if Steve did it, these guys should still be in jail for being so fucking corrupt.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

His second conviction changed everything. Nobody was going to go after police for putting a supposed murderer behind bars, even if they were corrupt.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

At this point I'd believe just about anything, but this theory seems plausible to me. Go below the video and discussion of The Simpsons vs. Family Guy. It wouldn't shock me if Steven did in fact do it, but I don't think he did.  Even if he did do it, I don't think it happened the way the state presented the case. There's just no way. It seems clear to me that the cops were out to get him, and they got a golden opportunity and ran with it. Dateline did a followup on the case a few weeks back and Steven has a new lawyer who says they have new testing and evidence available that they hope will clear him. She also said they have other suspects. I can only imagine all the attention the case is getting has to help his chances in some way. Not that his life could ever be salvaged. He's spent the majority of his life in prison for a crime he didn't commit, and obviously this case is sketchy to say the least.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/iowa/this … terneting/

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Just finished this today.

Pretty fucked up story. Like Neemo I have trouble believing a relatively inconsequential murder in the middle of nowhere could be a conspiracy that travels as high up as it does (or at least appears). You begin to wonder if the judge is in on it, and a suggestion at the end the jury may have been compromised. I have a hard time swallowing it.

I think it's more likely two or three corrupt guys and the system closed ranks to protect them. Not necessarily because they're all in on it but because to even accept anything else would mean a shit storm like nothing they could comprehend or afford. Supporting the polices version of events was the only option.

Like one of Averys lawyers said near the end, in a way I hope he is guilty because the alternative is far worse.

Maybe it was just me but I thought Theresa's brother and ex boyfriend were definitely worth investigating further. Something definitely not right about those two.

I don't think it's so much a 'conspiracy', as much as he might have been framed. I think they found her dead, the fact she was at his place earlier gave them a pretty strong belief he did it, and they then changed the evidence to match so it looked like it was him.  In their hearts, they probably did believe they were doing the right thing.

"Like one of Averys lawyers said near the end, in a way I hope he is guilty because the alternative is far worse."  - I forgot about that quote, but yeah that was a good one.

Ultimately, I think he did do it. However I think the cops did plant evidence & change their story, in an effort to frame him. Then supplied him with a shoddy lawyer to avoid a long expensive trail & wanted him to take a plea deal. But I think the documentary, while great, is probably pretty slanted, and avoids alot of testimony & evidence leading one to believe he had a part in it. The nephew, I think is innocent, but I think he does know & agree Steven killed her, he just isn't sure how to put his insight into words, and maybe it's all almost too hard to belief. But I think he saw her in the fire or Steven said he's burning a body in there or something.

I forget the part about the cop finding her SUV & calling in the license plate #. What did that imply, that he found the SUV somewhere else, and then moved it to their yard, or was he walking thru their junkyard property without a search warrant?

Board footer