You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: GUNS N' ROSES Rumor: IZZY STRADLIN To Take Limited Role In Reunion Rea

polluxlm wrote:

They are, but imo Weiland never rose to the challenge.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I don't think people complaining about Izzy is hipster bullshit.

Why Izzy is important is because he brings the songwriting factor.

Now of course one can argue he can still do it with the boys if he isn't there full-time.

However, having Izzy tour with you puts you in a situation where they have more opportunities to discuss potential ideas for when they ever get back into the studio. Or he could be like oh yeah, I've got this sexy ass riff / lyric / song. What do you think of this sugar tits?

That's why Izzy is so important. He brings that.

Yes he has toured with GN'R for ten years on and off.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but, after Axl, Izzy has the most songwriting contributions to Guns N' Roses.

No Steven Adler is fine by me. Guy is a train wreck. If  I was crying over that dude it would definitely be hipster bullshit. As he is by far the easiest person to replace. Not reliable in the least. And a loose cannon.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The way I see it, we're getting the best of both worlds; Izzy writes and contributes in the studio, and drops in on the tour for the odd guest slot, as he has done for the past several years. And we get Fortus' energy up on stage and the potential of some really interesting interplay between his guitar style and Slash's (lest we forget, Slash wanted to collaborate with him in the past). Plus he contributes in the studio too. What's not to like?

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

When did Slash say he wanted to collab with Fortus?!  Cool, curious as to what was said.

I think VR was better off going for a vocalist.   Weiland did the job just fine for them.  I'm not sure they could have found anyone else who was better at that time (c. 2004). 

An Izzy/Duff lead vocal would be cool for us hardcore fans, but not appeal to the masses, which is obviously what Slash and Co wanted to do.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

I don't think people complaining about Izzy is hipster bullshit.

Wanting Izzy on the tour for the reasons you mention is fine to me, but the idea of boycotting the shows entirely because of no Izzy, like  couple of articles in the media have suggested, sounds kinda Hipster to me. I went to the UYI tour in 1993 and it was amazing, and it felt like GNR.

If it was a full reunion the same types would be speculating they're too old, or that only the first album was good.

It's sort of trendy.

The aspect i'm worried about, which I guess ties in, is  is how 'real' is this reunion?

The silence from Slash and Duff, the cancelled TV show from Axl, these things point to a situation where rather than Axl go back to 1980s style GNR  leadership, what has happened is Slash and Duff gave in and returned to GNR without pushing for any changes in the way things happen.

This is disturbing as it may mean there is no plan at all long term and this will literally be a handful of shows for the sake of it before they go back to seperate endeavours or Axl goes back to being semi-retired.

I hope i'm wrong and the band really reunites and starts working on new music and so on.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The way I see it, we're getting the best of both worlds; Izzy writes and contributes in the studio, and drops in on the tour for the odd guest slot, as he has done for the past several years. And we get Fortus' energy up on stage and the potential of some really interesting interplay between his guitar style and Slash's (lest we forget, Slash wanted to collaborate with him in the past). Plus he contributes in the studio too. What's not to like?

Izzy will be as sporadic in the studio as on the stage, and I don't think anyone counts on Izzy taking a big role in the band going forward in any capacity. I know it will drive James bonkers, but I've heard pretty steadily and adamantly that Richard is going to be all over the next album and will be central in the songwriting.

And I'll go ahead and throw it out there, I never heard anyone who seriously knows their shit ever say Richard would be featured on CD in any meaningful way outside Better which he helped flesh out into a song. Maybe some crazed Fortus fans but I seriously missed that whole thing.

AtariLegend wrote:

What next album do you mean? One with Slash and Duff on it?

If it is, then it's too early to make an assumption like that when that music probably hasn't been recorded yet and the band haven't played a show.

If it's Chinese Democracy II, then it's probably tracks from the same sessions that were mostly done before Fortus ever joined. I don't dislike Fortus, I'm just curious which sessions this new album is coming from?

misterID

misterID wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

What next album do you mean? One with Slash and Duff on it?

If it is, then it's too early to make an assumption like that when that music probably hasn't been recorded yet and the band haven't played a show.

If it's Chinese Democracy II, then it's probably tracks from the same sessions that were mostly done before Fortus ever joined. I don't dislike Fortus, I'm just curious which sessions this new album is coming from?

From what I understand, Slash and Duff will be on CD II. Richard apparently did a lot of writing, playing on those songs. It was always Axl's intentions of bringing Richard in to help write. That's all I know.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Here's what Richard said:

Richard Fortus wrote:

Regarding his contributions on ‘Chinese Democracy,’ Fortus added, “I was adding to ideas that were already there. That entire record was written when I joined the band 13 years ago. Except I wrote the chorus to ‘Better.’ A lot of the new stuff [that ended up on that album] that [we were] working on, some of that stuff [are ideas that came] from nothing and some of the stuff is stuff that [we had] been working on that were ideas that were already there. Some of the stuff Slash did that was the beginning of the seed of the song that’s been around for a while.”

As far as how the sessions for Guns N’ Roses’ follow-up to the effort are going along, the guitarist acknowledged recurring reports that the band already had a surplus of finished material sitting around, however it won’t be released until lead vocalist Axl Rose is completely satisfied with the end product. “DJ [Ashba] and I have worked on stuff… Nobody’s worked on stuff with Ron [‘Bumblefoot’ Thal],” he stated.

“There’s so much stuff that’s recorded, there’s so much stuff that was done. I mean, there’s three albums’ worth of material, easy… I know this week he’s [Axl Rose] recording a lot of stuff, vocally. That camp is very… I don’t know why. It’s just that they’re very… Axl is very secretive. He doesn’t want stuff getting out. He wants to create stuff and then release it when it’s ready. Which I… I get it. He’s also a bit of a perfectionist, as you can imagine.

“The way [Axl] generally works is that he doesn’t wanna take an idea that DJ sent and… What he’ll do is he’ll take a little piece that I sent, he’ll take a little piece that DJ sent on another track, and he’s always done that. Back even with the ‘Appetite [For Destruction]’ stuff, he would take a little bit from this, a little bit from that, and then put it together. And when you listen to it, you can sort of hear it. When you listen to the tracks, you can hear that it’s… Especially on ‘Illusions’ [the ‘Use Your Illusion’ albums], the opuses, [where] he took little bits from different people and put them together. He’s got a real talent for that.”

Axl Rose previously acknowledged that the next album from Guns N’ Roses may be released as the sequel to ‘Chinese Democracy,’ hence providing some weight to earlier reports from Sebastian Bach dating back to 2007 which claimed that Rose plans on making a trilogy out of the effort. In other news, Rose was recently the target of an internet death hoax, which was designed to look like an official MSNBC report with a headline reading, “Sources: Guns N’ Roses Frontman Axl Rose Found Dead in West Hollywood Home at Age 52.”

I can easily see Slash and Duff going through that material and finding what they like, bringing in some ideas, and even working out some 1995-96 stuff. Pretty exciting. There could reasonably be three albums there for the band moving forward.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I love watching ID and Atari go at it. It is very rare to see them differ.

Board footer