You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

slcpunk wrote:
RaZor wrote:

2- I think he made some good points on foreign policy,?how we've destabilized the region.

I found the exchange about Israel very interesting. Trump, like everybody who preceded him, wants to negotiate peace between Israel and Palestine, and feels that he must take a different approach. Rubio scoffs, saying that Palestinians are terrorists, and we should be stand beside Israel first and foremost. In other words, business as usual, expecting a different result. This is where I like Trump, because he points out that the status quo isn't working, or hasn't worked (Iraq) and we should try it differently. On the other hand, does he have the foreign policy know how and experience to do this? I doubt it.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

@cramer - I'm sure he's lacking significant "know how" - but I'm but sure he'll be able to bring in staff that can compensate for his knowledge gap.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Anyway...Christie endorses Trump. Which to me is shocking, and kind of a big deal (We'll see how true that is I guess.) Also answers my earlier question in regards to his Veep and who would put their neck out there to get on the Trump bandwagon. Well now we know...

Nahhh, never happen. Trumps gotta go toss-up state for his VP.  Either Florida (which is why I'm surpised Rubio attacked him so hard. I thought he was gonna cede to the fact he'll become Trumps running mate.  (Young, likeable, upstart, Latino & Florida). But I guess Rubio's advisors just told him to go All In for the nom. Otherwise I read the Fla Governor, the SC gov (woman), and maybe Ohio (Kasich, must be why he's staying in the race, to get better name recognition).

Trump/Christie tho, no way. 2 tough talking New Yorkers coming from states they won't win is a disaster.

* One thing I will give Trump credit for, politics aside, is that, for a billionaire, he is a pretty good trash talker.  I couldn't imagine him up on a stage with Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, the Eagles owner Jeff Lurie, Ted Turner, the Comcast & Disney CEO's etc.  Mark Cuban maybe could give him a good run, but I think Trump would just, trump him by being a total jerk.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Some of the stuff Trump is saying suggests he is actually committed to them. The safe position in regards Israel would be to put your tongue all the way up their ass like Rubio, but he holds back, opting for what might be an approach with a greater possibility for success.

In a previous debate he got asked about his intention to "go after families of terrorists", and the opening of a longer response was "we need to get tougher". Slightly hilarious in its brazen admission of such intentions, but also curios. There's little to gain by a harsh line like that politically, but it could be a message of strength militarily.

Normally statements such as these would be self detonations for candidates. And it's not like the American people are begging to go full Rambo in these matters, Trump has to work hard to spin these highly contentious suggestions into viable messages. And still he's the front runner. Last night both Cruz and Rubio went after him, the panel went after him. They fired as hard as they could, but I'm not sure they made a dent. The ridiculous nagging about tax returns and free market health care smacked of being delibaretly obtuse, and it shows how desperate they are getting.

Trump standing in the middle of all of that and winning is the appeal. I'm starting to think he might walk this.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I agree. Nothing they are doing is working. And now Christie has endorsed him as well.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Christie wants that VP slot. I still think he'll give the spot to his daughter. And I'm being serious.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Are you voting for him if it comes down to Trump/Hilldog?

What about those of you who are democrats, but can't stand Hillary? Are you voting Trump, staying home or biting the bullet and go with another Clinton just to keep the Donald out?

I'd have to hold my nose and vote for Hillary.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Don't underestimate the dislike of Hillary from ALL sides.

Yeah, I don't get the people who thinks this will be a cakewalk for Hillary when she has her own likability problems. I think she is also going to have a tough time corralling Bernie's supporters that are sick of the establishment. I think many will be disenfranchised and stay home.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Don't underestimate the dislike of Hillary from ALL sides.

Yeah, I don't get the people who thinks this will be a cakewalk for Hillary when she has her own likability problems. I think she is also going to have a tough time corralling Bernie's supporters that are sick of the establishment. I think many will be disenfranchised and stay home.

Yeah and this plays into Trump's hands perfectly. He either gets their vote or they don't vote. Either way, its a vote for him. 16

I'd have to hold my nose and vote for Hillary.

Hopefully we can convince you otherwise before Nov. 8th. tongue

Is there ANYTHING Trump can do that would cause you to give him another chance? Maybe going into more specifics on policies?

Bri- I know I sound bat shit crazy as CA has gone dem for decades(except for Reagan) but you cant overlook all the people in this state that are sick of Mexifornia. It is THE perfect state for Trump's major talking point. Illegal immigrants running this place into the ground isn't a dem or republican issue. Its an American issue and he's the only one willing to address it.  If he does it right, he can force HIllary to have to waste time campaigning here that would be better spent in key states. All he has to do is prove CA isn't a lock and the dems will be running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Yeah...CO is going more liberal with the marijuana laws but Trump can fly in there, quote Chong...."Toke it out man!", and head on to the next state.

Christie definitely wants the VP slot and while I agree that Trump is likely to pick someone else, he definitely has a chance. I know he's Jersey but is this guy liked in NY?

If Ventura cant be Veep, I want Kasich to get it but Christie is ok. Those two were the only decent politicians in the entire race.

Trump standing in the middle of all of that and winning is the appeal. I'm starting to think he might walk this.

Yep..this is the year that the country decided to give the establishment the kick in the ass it needed 20 years ago. Its more historic than the rise of Obama. That was a farce. An empty suit election. This election has meat on its bones.

Trump/Christie tho, no way. 2 tough talking New Yorkers coming from states they won't win is a disaster.

I think those two states are in play this time.

This isn't a normal election. More people are going to realize this the further we get into it.

This is where I like Trump, because he points out that the status quo isn't working, or hasn't worked (Iraq) and we should try it differently.

Same here. A huge part of his appeal.

misterID wrote:

Christie wants that VP slot. I still think he'll give the spot to his daughter. And I'm being serious.

That has to be a joke. He isn't stupid. He has a legitimate shot at the presidency. If he's going to pick her, he should drop out the day before doing it.

edit: Bri....I tried some scenarios to see if a Hillary landslide is possible. This is THE best I could come up with and it literally requires shocking upsets and I even give her their home state of AR.

qKAK6.png

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Yeah, landslides are hard to do, but I think short of that, it won't be close with Trump the nominee. A gut feeling. I literally have not met a per s on in real life who doesn't think he's a complete joke.

Board footer